HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:41 PM
Here comes the rooster...
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Discussion
Dipstick

I know that this isn't an SSX, but it's all Millennium gear except for the feathers. This is my temporary version of a Slow Stick with a symmetrical wing.

I say "temporary", as I didn't want to take the time to build up a Millennium balsa wing, only to hate the characteristics of the plane. Now that I know that I like this design, I plan to buy a proper SSX wing and stabs.

I made a bunch of mistakes building this. Since the wing looks bulky, I wanted the stabilizers to appear heavier, so I doubled them up... way too much weight! I also liked the blue Hitec servos being visible, as it's part of my scheme, but placing them toward the rear probably also added tail weight. I've got 4+ oz. of lead on the nose so that I can balance it. The plane's AUW comes in at 29.5 oz... yeah, that's not a typo.

I do enjoy being able to take off and land in rough grass, and I like the gentle characteristics, so I'll be buying the SSX wing very soon. I am impressed with the quality of the Millennium parts that I do have.

On a side note, I accidentially realized that you can fly this with only one aileron - a control horn broke in-flight. To prove that it didn't happen during landing, I took off and landed again with the one horn disconnected.

The following day I repaired the horn, and took off, only to realize that I forgot to connect the aileron servos! It got quite a bit of altitude before I realized what was going on. Luckily, it was making a gradual turn, so I allowed it to come around before throttling back, and made an almost perfect landing. I doubt I'll forget to perform a preflight again any time soon - just glad nothing bad happened.

Jesse
JesseB is offline Find More Posts by JesseB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
Chicago NW Burbs
Joined Sep 2007
77 Posts
I love the Slow Stick mod. Double the wing is a great idea.

Hope to read your progress.
If you have any other build pictures, please post.

I had thought of just using a straight sheet of depron for the bottom of he wing.
Your symmetrical wing looks great.
atr98 is offline Find More Posts by atr98
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:03 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
I know that this isn't an SSX, but it's all Millennium gear except for the feathers. This is my temporary version of a Slow Stick with a symmetrical wing.

I say "temporary", as I didn't want to take the time to build up a Millennium balsa wing, only to hate the characteristics of the plane. Now that I know that I like this design, I plan to buy a proper SSX wing and stabs.

I made a bunch of mistakes building this. Since the wing looks bulky, I wanted the stabilizers to appear heavier, so I doubled them up... way too much weight! I also liked the blue Hitec servos being visible, as it's part of my scheme, but placing them toward the rear probably also added tail weight. I've got 4+ oz. of lead on the nose so that I can balance it. The plane's AUW comes in at 29.5 oz... yeah, that's not a typo.

I do enjoy being able to take off and land in rough grass, and I like the gentle characteristics, so I'll be buying the SSX wing very soon. I am impressed with the quality of the Millennium parts that I do have.

On a side note, I accidentially realized that you can fly this with only one aileron - a control horn broke in-flight. To prove that it didn't happen during landing, I took off and landed again with the one horn disconnected.

The following day I repaired the horn, and took off, only to realize that I forgot to connect the aileron servos! It got quite a bit of altitude before I realized what was going on. Luckily, it was making a gradual turn, so I allowed it to come around before throttling back, and made an almost perfect landing. I doubt I'll forget to perform a preflight again any time soon - just glad nothing bad happened.

Jesse
Is the plane pitch sensitive? It seems like your tail is very short?

The SSX always flies better when the wing is forward as much as possible.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Is the plane pitch sensitive? It seems like your tail is very short?

The SSX always flies better when the wing is forward as much as possible.

James
Actually, it's a 800mm fuse, with the wing set back around 6", which is about the same as your design, correct? I agree... it doesn't look as though I've got the same space between the wing and the tail.

It's not pitch sensitive at all from what can tell.

I wish I would've ordered an SSX kit when it was still cold out - going to be hard to stay indoors to build a wing with such nice weather! I'm gonna' try though... I hope to order my wing tonight or tomorrow. Wife's calling me for dinner now!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr98 View Post
I love the Slow Stick mod. Double the wing is a great idea.

Hope to read your progress.
If you have any other build pictures, please post.

I had thought of just using a straight sheet of depron for the bottom of he wing.
Your symmetrical wing looks great.
Thanks for the compliments. I can't take credit for the wing though... saw that online somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it again.

It's not as aerodynamic as an SSX - I'm quite certain of that. Pretty blunt edge on this wing.

Jesse
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:19 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
Actually, it's a 800mm fuse, with the wing set back around 6", which is about the same as your design, correct? I agree... it doesn't look as though I've got the same space between the wing and the tail.

It's not pitch sensitive at all from what can tell.

I wish I would've ordered an SSX kit when it was still cold out - going to be hard to stay indoors to build a wing with such nice weather! I'm gonna' try though... I hope to order my wing tonight or tomorrow. Wife's calling me for dinner now!
The new wing design goes together fast. You will not be in for long.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:39 AM
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
The new wing design goes together fast. You will not be in for long.

James
I see my Millennium wing is on its way. Looking forward to it.