HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Discussion
First Night Flying Experience

I had been wanting to try night flying for a while but didn't really have any planes that I felt were suitable or that I was willing to risk. Last week I was in my LHS and came across a GWS Slowstick NPS. After talking it over with one of the guys at the shop I took it home. I had previously bought a set of Large Deluxe airplane Tiny Brite lights and I had everything else on hand (servos, motor, esc,...)to build my first night flier. It is kind of cobbled together from stuff I had laying around. I flattened out the wing and cut in the ailerons to make it a little more agile. It is severely over powered with an Eflite 480 but like I said I used stuff I had to keep the cost down. On a 10x3.8 APC prop I can easily cruise around at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. At full throttle the wings start to flutter badly.

I got it all together yesterday and took it on its maiden just before sunset. Once it was trimmed in I just waited till it was dark enough.

I gotta say, it was a lot more fun and relaxing than I had anticipated. I need to add a few more lights because the plane all but disappears when going away from you at relatively low altitudes but it was still easy to track and surprisingly easy t keep orientation. I was flying in a field beside a church down the street form my house and by the time I was done I had drawn quite a crowd.

All in all I had a great time Planning to take it to the club tonight and fly with some of the guys.
Tony A. is offline Find More Posts by Tony A.
Last edited by Tony A.; Mar 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2010, 03:43 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I have an SS too and I wanted to add some of the strip lights to the stick under the wings and under the tail. That way they are lit up and should be much easier to see at night. Even down the front edge of the wing facing inward would light the wing up nicely.

Do you have any pics of the SS with the navigation lights on it?
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:01 AM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Just got in from flying again tonight. Wooo this is fun.

Here is a really quick video of the Nav lights..

SlowStick
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:50 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Are they Curteks?

OOps, I just saw your link.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
More lights...

Added some glow wire and moved the red and green LEDs. MUCH MUCH better

Slowstick Night Flyer V2 (0 min 23 sec)
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Now that, look nice. I bet that is very visible at night. I just started wiring the lights for my first night flier last night. Im using the LED strip lights because I heard the glow wire wasn't that bright. But it looks be be plenty bright to me.

Where did you get it and is it hard to wire/solder up?
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:45 PM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
It got mine at my LHS but they are the Electrifly Flylites from Great Planes. The green wire came with a driver that will run 2 wires for about $15 and then I got the read wire for $9. No soldering or wiring. just plug the two wires into the driver and the driver into an empty channel on the Rx. I am running the glow wire and LEDs into a Y harness off the gear channel. While the glow wires are not nearly as bright as LEDs they are plenty bright enough to be seen easily at night. Even at quite a distance.

I was out flying last night in a field where there is a fairly wide tree line and some houses between the road and the field and I could hear cars slowing down out on the road when I would get high enough for them to see it. One (possibly a cop) stopped and was shining around a spot light. I wonder if there were any UFO sightings reported last night...lol
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Here is a little flight video of my Slowstick at a fly in I attended this weekend...

A little night flying... (3 min 28 sec)
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:09 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony A. View Post
I wonder if there were any UFO sightings reported last night...lol
I always have a few people slow waaay down and watch my Nutball with the Tiny Brite Lights fly in the night sky. Dead calm nights are perfect because I can get the Nutball to slowly hover forward. Looks just like a UFO. I mean Nutball!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Last edited by road_rascal; Mar 28, 2010 at 09:14 PM.