HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:51 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan View Post
I'm open to any ideas to help me fly this giant to the SWC without paying oversize baggage fees.
Bob
FedEx Ground to someone local?

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
I2 travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
FedEx Ground to someone local?

tk
As a last resort maybe, but South West Airlines flys bags for free (including big ski bags). I like free
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:43 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Bob, did you figure out anything on transporting the I2? I just got one of these and the centerpanel is definately large, and was trying to figure out how to go about transporting it safely.
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:51 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
I2 in Sportube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pfeifer View Post
Bob, did you figure out anything on transporting the I2? I just got one of these and the centerpanel is definately large, and was trying to figure out how to go about transporting it safely.

YES

I started a thread with pictures at my RCG blog to show people and discuss my Sportube modification so we don't get too far off topic here. Go to:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post17343760

I'm really liking my Icon 2 by the way. I bought Brendon's light one he used to win the Jr. World Champs. Now 68.25 ounces. I put the ballast tube in after I got it and I'm glad I did because this big ship flys like it is very light, "feeling" lighter in the air than my 55 oz Supra. I find myself adding some ballast to the I2 with just a little wind coming up. I could get my I2 even lighter with the new built up rudder now offered (or make my own), but right now I just don't feel the need and I've been called a weight freak. (Maybe after some early morning MOM at SWC I'll feel different.)

Bob
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
586 Posts
Thanks Bob!
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:45 AM
Seattle
Joined Aug 2005
372 Posts
This is like Red Green!!

BK
belouder is offline Find More Posts by belouder
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:17 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
I'm really liking my Icon 2 by the way. I bought Brendon's light one he used to win the Jr. World Champs. Now 68.25 ounces. I put the ballast tube in after I got it and I'm glad I did because this big ship flys like it is very light, "feeling" lighter in the air than my 55 oz Supra. I find myself adding some ballast to the I2 with just a little wind coming up. I could get my I2 even lighter with the new built up rudder now offered (or make my own), but right now I just don't feel the need and I've been called a weight freak. (Maybe after some early morning MOM at SWC I'll feel different.)Bob
Bob,
I feel the same way about my Icon 2's.

When ballasted, it still indicates lift well and allows you to move around. During the first round of the Master's last year (>20 mph) I had my carbon version fully loaded with 36 oz, and it went upwind quickly to the wave that no one else could reach in my group.

Don Peters sized the ballast tube capacity correctly for this big bird....

I have ended up using 13oz, 20oz, 26oz, and 36oz increments.

I know there will be a few of these at the SWC/F3J...

See ya next week!

Jon
JP-Soar is online now Find More Posts by JP-Soar
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:49 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Btw - Don gets the cool guy award for getting me another tip after I lost a tip out of the back of the truck on the way to practice about 2 weeks ago. Just got it put back together... now I can shoot a few before I head to Phoenix. Nice day today... maybe I'll shoot a few this afternoon.

And I hope you guys ballast the crap out of this thing... (it rarely needs it)

See ya'll in Phoenix

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:09 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Btw - Don gets the cool guy award for getting me another tip after I lost a tip out of the back of the truck on the way to practice about 2 weeks ago. Just got it put back together... now I can shoot a few before I head to Phoenix. Nice day today... maybe I'll shoot a few this afternoon.

And I hope you guys ballast the crap out of this thing... (it rarely needs it)

See ya'll in Phoenix

D
I echo that ballast thing..flown mine at 15mph and she did not need ballast.
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:37 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
I’m not nessisarily saying I “need it” in the air for thermaling and coming home, but it does not hurt in active air. When I’m thinking about adding ballast to the I2, the front thing in my mind is calming it down a little in a gusty landing zone and getting a similar ground speed on final with similar flap inputs so my timing is not all messed up. But I’m still new and learning with the I2.
Last edited by Bob McGowan; Feb 09, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:43 PM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
314 Posts
I2

My new light weight fin and rudder should be arriving any day now from Don. Can't wait to make the switch and start throwing out nose weight.
I won't get to Darryl's AUW for his I2 but it will still be plenty low for the squares.
Mart
mrfski is offline Find More Posts by mrfski
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:55 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
Hey Marty, are you going to do the shorty boom mod while you are at it?

I have absolutely no idea what Iím talking about here. I heard rumor of this mod, a DP thing I suspect. I think my used I2 may have this mod, but I am not sure. Someone who knows about this mod, please explain.

Bob
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Hey Marty, are you going to do the shorty boom mod while you are at it?

I have absolutely no idea what Iím talking about here. I heard rumor of this mod, a DP thing I suspect. I think my used I2 may have this mod, but I am not sure. Someone who knows about this mod, please explain.

Bob
Ok... ok... when Don and I were prototyping the new larger stab, we obviously had to shorten the tailboom, but just how much was not clear. So we decided to bracket it and build one that was super short, and another one that I suspected would be the length. So I had one that was about 2 inches shorter than the now "stock" configuration. It flew fine, I liked it (made the team with it)... but not so much for the masses. So we added the 2 inches back in and that is now the norm.

Don sends me the stock fuse length now too...

Bob - the one you have from Bren should be the new stock length.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
314 Posts
I2

Bob,
Yes, I shortened my stock (non CF boom) I2 fuse by about 1.75" or maybe a bit more.
Mine was one of the first new fuses from Don.
The new fin and rudder went on last night, super easy switch. I'm not sub 70 because I have the standard wing and tips and ballast tube installed.
Test flights Saturday at SVSS hopefully.
Mart
mrfski is offline Find More Posts by mrfski
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Dang these things go together nicely - and fast. I needed a windy weather back up for J in the desert... got a new set of fuse parts last night when I got home... the fuse is completely ready to fly... just have to put servos back into in an old heavy and tested center panel sometime today... (have to go to work for a bit) then test fly and set up this afternoon just before dark... see ya'll in the desert

D