SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
Sailplane Flyer
Berthoud CO
Joined Oct 2007
362 Posts
Mike's I2 Report

Guys,

Thought I would jump in a bit on this thread with my experience on the I2. I have had one for about 6 weeks now.

The build was very straight forward (although I should have taken a bit more care with stab mount alignment). I asked to produce one very light on paint to keep the weight down. Also mine still has carbon tips for overall durability. I could not be more pleased with the outcome. Don and Skip really took care to get me what I wanted. I didn't install the stock ballast system, but rather installed a 1/2" dia. tube (3" long) angled back through the bulkhead (this is very similar to the I1 ballast design). This saved me an ounce and still provided ballast capability. The overall weight of my ship came in at 74 oz balanced at 115mm.
As to flying one word WOW. The guys that are flying this plane are really cheating (sorry Daryl ). Hang is incredible! Landing is the best on the market in my opinion. The plane really ranges out as well. Launch is no longer any issue with the larger stab and stiff fuse. I pounded mine hard (and so did Daryl this past weekend). It is fast and has an outstanding zoom.
For me this plane is absolutely one of the top 2-3 planes in the world today no question.
Thanks to Maple Leaf, Don (with design guidance from Daryl, Skip, Jon and others) for bringing us this American made beauty. This plane gets all five smiles.
mikeverzuh is online now Find More Posts by mikeverzuh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
I2

I'll sure be glad to get the one DP is flying when the drawing is held. (smile) Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeverzuh View Post
Guys,

Thought I would jump in a bit on this thread with my experience on the I2. I have had one for about 6 weeks now.

The build was very straight forward (although I should have taken a bit more care with stab mount alignment). I asked to produce one very light on paint to keep the weight down. Also mine still has carbon tips for overall durability. I could not be more pleased with the outcome. Don and Skip really took care to get me what I wanted. I didn't install the stock ballast system, but rather installed a 1/2" dia. tube (3" long) angled back through the bulkhead (this is very similar to the I1 ballast design). This saved me an ounce and still provided ballast capability. The overall weight of my ship came in at 74 oz balanced at 115mm.
As to flying one word WOW. The guys that are flying this plane are really cheating (sorry Daryl ). Hang is incredible! Landing is the best on the market in my opinion. The plane really ranges out as well. Launch is no longer any issue with the larger stab and stiff fuse. I pounded mine hard (and so did Daryl this past weekend). It is fast and has an outstanding zoom.
For me this plane is absolutely one of the top 2-3 planes in the world today no question.
Thanks to Maple Leaf, Don (with design guidance from Daryl, Skip, Jon and others) for bringing us this American made beauty. This plane gets all five smiles.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old May 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
251 Posts
RMSA F3J competition

1st contest with my 76 oz Icon 2. F3J with winches. Skip was first. DP was 2 point out of 6000 total behind Skip. I was third with 12 points behind DP. Skip flew the Icon 2 a couple of times. DP and I flew the Icon 2 the entire 6 rounds. This was preparation for F3J in the Rockies in two weeks.

Jon
JP-Soar is offline Find More Posts by JP-Soar
Old May 19, 2010, 10:46 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Hey, Where do I get that short fuse like DP has? Congrats guys!
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old May 19, 2010, 11:45 PM
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2005
971 Posts
Hmm... it's _such_ a shame that the Icon 2 doesn't have the Icon 1 looks. Take the elevator halves of the Icon 1, stick them together, extend the centre out a bit, and that'd be the tail shape I'd expect of the Icon 2.

Even the fin/rudder shape on the Icon 1 was, well, Iconic.

I'd love to get an Icon 2 or two or three, but the cost for shipping to Aussieland is a bit much
becsta is offline Find More Posts by becsta
Old May 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
Onward & Upwards
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
Finished mine up last night and flew her this morning!

http://bit.ly/9GxHWK

B
Blayne Chastain is offline Find More Posts by Blayne Chastain
Old May 26, 2010, 08:26 AM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Sweet Blayne!
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old May 26, 2010, 10:44 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
251 Posts
Orange Crush

Blayne,

The picture of the side view really shows the planform and the forward sweep that Dr. Drela designed in... compared to the Supra....

Like those TEAM F3J RMSA colors.........Lets just say orange is popular...

Jon
Last edited by JP-Soar; May 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:15 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
251 Posts
Congrats to Don Peters

Time to put some life back into this thread.......

Daryl Perkins - 2010 F3J Senior World Champion!

Brendon Beardsley - 2010 F3J Junior World Champion!

Don Peters and Mark Drela - Great to see a US designed and built F3J plane win the worlds.

It would be great to hear from Mark Drela about thinking behind the design of the Icon2 panform.....Mark?
Last edited by JP-Soar; Aug 07, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:38 AM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
620 Posts
Obviously flies great, butt ugly, horrendously expensive

JMHO I've never warmed up to the big discus launch look.

Tap
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,543 Posts
Tap,
I didn't either (Supra) until I flew one 4 years. Got over that silly little prejudice in a hurry based on flight performance and user-friendliness.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Aug 08, 2010, 03:56 PM
Circles in Lift
Redmond, Washington, USA
Joined Oct 2004
425 Posts
Me too, JT. You can't argue with its performance. And I think the latest pro comp is actually quite handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Tap,
I didn't either (Supra) until I flew one 4 years. Got over that silly little prejudice in a hurry based on flight performance and user-friendliness.

JT
bwanajim is offline Find More Posts by bwanajim
Old Aug 08, 2010, 06:11 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Personally I like the look. I wonder to what extent the bigger wing area of the Icon 2 helped in that penultimate flyoff round as compared with the Supra Pro? That was the throwout round for most so I guess it didn't matter.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:58 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch View Post
Personally I like the look. I wonder to what extent the bigger wing area of the Icon 2 helped in that penultimate flyoff round as compared with the Supra Pro? That was the throwout round for most so I guess it didn't matter.
Never flown Supra, but I have allways admired its agility in circling. However, I am not so sure about the wing stiffnes and visibility... Icon 2 looks very good, like a logical evolution from Supra. I would like to try Icon 2, but from European perspective the price is simply too high.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:52 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
850 Posts
Airline travel with Icon 2

What are you guys doing to transport the I2 on airlines?

It seems like the 71 5/8 inch span of the center pannel is a bit too long for my sportube. There is not much overlap in the two sections of the Sportube so it seems too floppy in the center to me. If you've made the Sportube work, please tell me how.

I spoted this large soft sided roller ski/snowboard bag. http://www.ebags.com/product/marker/...ductid=1322029
Size is 11" x 16" x 75" (may be big enough to hold 3 planes)
I'm wondering how this bag would work if I made a coroplast box to go inside it. What do you think?

I'm open to any ideas to help me fly this giant to the SWC without paying oversize baggage fees.

Bob
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan