HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Jon, do not let the boys in FL and MI see that tail up, you would loose your landing!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:05 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Jon, do not let the boys in FL and MI see that tail up, you would loose your landing!

Marc
Those guys just suck and need skegs to mask their inadequate skills
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
We know. Gordy already told us.

Rick
ThermalBuster is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBuster
Old Mar 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
244 Posts
Servo Installation

Servo Installation is a snap. Don Peters has marked the inside bottom wing skins to indicate the center lines of the servo arms and pushrods. This assures that the molded bumps on the servo covers will be directly over the servo arms. Also, the inside top skin has been reinforced locally at the servo with carbon cloth and has been scuff-sanded before the wing molds were closed. Cool.

The servo holes were opened up using my trusty Dremel with sanding wheel attachment. Be sure NOT to sand into the balsa reinforcement rib on the outboard side of each servo pocket.

The kit comes with 0.070" carbon rod material for you to build your own flap and aileron pushrods.

I don't care to use carbon rods for wing pushrods. The 2.5 mm stainless steel pushrods that came with my Supra are the perfect fit for aileron and flap length for the Icon2. These have never bent on me with these huge flaps and are up to the task. Again, just a comfort thing and using what I know works. Both the ailerons and flaps have top driven control horns already installed. Looks like G10 material? Never had a failure or structure issue with these horns on any of my Icon 2's.

Looking into the servo opening, you can see that the splooge (word?) used to attach the spar and skins was carefully put in as there is no excess overflow. The splooge bead is nice and even as far as I can see...

Spar construction from the manual: "The spar caps consist of multiple plies of high modulus carbon and glass-faced end grain balsa shear webs."

Time to glue in the servo mounts. The fuse assembly is next.

Jon
JP-Soar is offline Find More Posts by JP-Soar
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:30 PM
Onward & Upwards
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
C'mon Jon - Get to it!

Blayne Chastain is offline Find More Posts by Blayne Chastain
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:40 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Man are you slow Jon. I just built a Satori in 6 hours.
Bobalew is offline Find More Posts by Bobalew
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:42 AM
Onward & Upwards
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
He's in good company. Pete Goldsmith once mocked me for how long it took me to put together a Radian! I deserved it.
Blayne Chastain is offline Find More Posts by Blayne Chastain
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:28 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
244 Posts
Fuse Improvements on ICON2

Time to get this thread moving again. Thanks to my friend and soaring guru Byron Blakeslee for finishing the build. Here are some of the fuse pics showing some design improvements that are now in production.

New towhook design. Lighter. Positive grip. Slight bend to capture towhook. No possibility of crushing fuse when tightening screw. All welcome improvements. Old towhook on bottom for comparison.

This large rudder required an increase in rudderhorn leverage. There was a possibility of flutter on earlier ICON2's before this fix.

Carbon Fiber V-mount. Solid mechanics for this large stab. No slop and light.

More to come....

Jon
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,360 Posts
Nice Jon,

I spoke to Mike V after his first few flights. All he said to me was, "Daryl - you've been cheating..."

Dp
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:40 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
244 Posts
Fuse Nose Assembly Pics

Fuse with equipment install. Note: That I put a bulkhead in the front to make a lead shot compartment for easy CG adjustments at the field. Hole on top to add or remove lead shot....

Don Peters sells the battery. A perfect fit. I used a battery former (slow charge for 24 hours) to get the full 1500 mAH capacity from this pack.

More to come.....

Jon
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:46 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
244 Posts
F3J Nose and Skeg Nose CG

The F3J Nose cone extends past the inner fuse by about 3/4" at the front. See first pic. Thus, there is a inner pocket space that should be filled/packed with about 100 grams of lead shot. Filling this inner void with shot and shapping it to the inner nose cone makes for a fuse/nosecone that has stood up to 100's of F3J dork landing with no fuse cracks. This also keeps the ballancing lead as far forward as possible. This was easily done by mixing some 5 minute epoxy with the lead shot and trial fitting the outer nosecone to the fuse before the epoxy kicked off to allow the shot to be shapped.

Pic2 shows more detail of the install. The 3421 sits lower than a 368 servo on the servo tray which is what you want since the pushrods are on top of each other. Note for JR 2.4 Install: The main Rx goes behind the servos and the satellite Rx sits in a slot next to the 368. I have run this Rx configuration for a couple of years and had zero reception issues. I verify with my data logger and usually read zero fades for all antennas!

Pic3 shows the Skeg nose cone that comes with the kit. The only issue here is that I don't want the CG to change when going back and forth between F3J and Skeg nosecones. I added some velcro to the top of the battery to hold the extra ballast that is needed with the skeg nosecone. Yes that's correct. The skeg noseconse is lighter due to the shorter length and the fact that the F3J noscone has some ballast in the front....

Control throws and RTF maiden weight will be next... I will use my 80 oz Icon 2 as a starting point. Should maiden this week.

Jon
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:24 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
244 Posts
Ready for Maiden!

Here were the Ready to Fly weights with the CG @ 112mm back from leading edge.

LT = 8.8 oz
RT = 8.8 oz
Center Section = 29.6
Fuse = 28.8

Total = 76.0 oz! This puts me at 8.68 oz/ft2 wing loading!

I could have tricked the build a little more for lightness and lost 0.5 in each tip and put in a different ballast tube saving 1.1 oz. Total weight could have been 74 oz. My 80 oz Icon2 has a wing loading of 9.14 oz/ft2 and I don't feel at a disadvantage during the early morning light lift flight....so I opted to keep the more robust aileron servo's and keep the ballast system the same as my first 80 oz Icon 2.

It really is amazing that there is a signicant level in increased performance in this large birds >3.8m with these low wing loading <9.0 oz/ft2. Something beautiful happens when you increase wingspan, wingarea, and build light and strong. Hats off to Dr Drela and Don Peters for producing this great bird.

As a side note: The Stab you see on this bird is huge. This is a fourth generation stab. The area was correct on the third generation stab but had some structural issues. Phil Pearson suggested to use the JW stab airfoil from the Icon 1 to give it more thickness for spar strength. It worked very well and looks good.

Here are some throws that I use: These may be different than the suggested ones in the manual.

Elevator neutral point (starting point) 2.75" from the bottom of the fuse to the trailing edge of the stab at the fin.

Elevator throws: 5/8 up, 1" down measured at trailing edge of stab.
3/8 down @ full flaps for a initial mixing setting.
Rudder throws: 1.25" R or L measured at trailing edge bottom rudder.
5/8" R or L mix with full aileron.

Aileron throws: 3/8 down, 3/4 up
Mix Flap: 3/16 down, 1/4 up

CG = 112 start. Towhook front of slot for first flights but should be put near the middle of the slot for great performance.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
244 Posts
DP wrote: Nice Jon,

I spoke to Mike V after his first few flights. All he said to me was, "Daryl - you've been cheating..."

Dp

As you said earlier..... Wingspan is a beautiful thing! This may sound like an odd statment but, it flies so well that you should not get lulled into flying in the light or zero sink area's but be with the competition/best lift area and see who climbs faster

Hope to see you in May for some comps in Denver.

Jon
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Hey JP! Thanks for all the info. I have a question about the launch mode.

Right now my flaps are at 10mm down and ailerons follow them.

The elevator is 1.5mm down or perhaps a little more.

Is this close to what you have yours set up to?

My first launch was close to disaster...and then I realized that I had

no elevator mix in launch mode. I have since put the elevator mix in

and will try launch in a few days. I'm very nervous about the launch

because of my last experience. 1.5 mm down on elevator does not seem like much.

Thank you
Dan
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Oh and here is some eye candy for everyone!
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000