HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JIMFRISKY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:48 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
428 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Off Site
Airtronics “grand esprit” 134” glider short kit nr

Airtronics “grand esprit” 134” glider short kit ebay under toy's ,hobbys not mine but wow i can't
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:17 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
It's listed as "off site". Where is it listed?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:47 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,060 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
says it is on feebay
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 20, 2010, 03:02 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
says it is on feebay
My bad!

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:31 AM
Jimfrisky
Joined Jan 2001
428 Posts
SORRY HERE YOU GO
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:22 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Trader Rating: 376
i did a little search here and noted that ray Hayes sold one of these short kits in 2009 for $300. Looks like the starting price on feebay is a good one.
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:02 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,497 Posts
Trader Rating: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
i did a little search here and noted that ray Hayes sold one of these short kits in 2009 for $300. Looks like the starting price on feebay is a good one.
And others sold for $150. Only goes to show that there is always someone willing to pay more than the going rate.
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:43 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
Trader Rating: 99
You'll be hard pressed to find one for $150.00. In fact, if someone wants to sell one for that, I'll take it. PM me.

As old_dude said, they usually go for $250-$300.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:52 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Trader Rating: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
And others sold for $150. .................................................. .
WHERE and when ??
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi-Start Man
Texas Panhandle
Joined Dec 2004
100 Posts
Trader Rating: 41
$175.00
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=613189
olyman is offline Find More Posts by olyman
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyman View Post
Not a bad deal at all - but does not include the carbon boom and other extra parts this sale does. The boom alone is a hard to find and costly item.

I wish I had seen that sale on RCU.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:41 PM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
236 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
And others sold for $150. Only goes to show that there is always someone willing to pay more than the going rate.
Genuine Airtronics Grand Esprit full kits are pretty safely above $300, and occassionally $400+. There was one that sold on eBay for $500+, but that was an annomoly by an unknowing, dedicated wife who "HAD to have it at all costs" for her husband's birthday gift. The Dream Catcher full kits lag behind the Airtronics prices, and the short kits don't generally make it into the $200+ level unless an un-knowing buyer jumps on it.

My son was so pleased to have bought a DC short kit for $150, and then I showed him the one I had just bought weeks before for $100. Being able to point to one that sold at either extreme of the price range (and confusing short and full kits), doesn't make that the norm.

The seller in this auction acknowledges that the box pictured is not for the kit being sold. DC short kits didn't come in the full box. I have two DC short kits, and they both came in a much smaller plain box with a plain black & white label.

The removable nose cone / ballast box is a rare find. It was original to the Airtronics kit, but has been out of production for decades and was not included in the DC kit.

Similarly, the control mixer shown in the auction is similar to the original Airtronics Vector Director, but not the same. However, unless you're an originality nut, it would be better to scrap the mixer entirely and use a modern radio with V-tail mixing. Even back in the day, I chose to use an Ace electronic "Christy Mixer" instead of the mechanical one. So much better.

The seller also says the graphite boom and plastic canopy were not orginal to the kit. ?? It's true the original Airtronics boom was fiberglass (pool cue part), not graphite; but the DC short kit did come stock with a graphite boom and both kits came with clear plastic canopy blanks (untrimmed).

The Airtronics and DC booms were shaped differently where they fitted into the pod. They can't be mixed between the kits without making the appropriate changes to the mating wood parts.

Everybody that has a kit wants them to be worth big bucks. I'm in that category, but I'm realistic enough not to "take it to the bank". I have five unbuilt Grand Esprits and one flying. I'll admit to paying a little over $300 for an original Airtronics kit in a very clean box, but I've never approached $400. I've also paid $140 for an original Airtronics, and my two DC short kits cost $100 and $125 (... and my son paid $150). Pump the prices way up if you wish... make me a happy man.

I'm sure the red mist that drives eBay will sell this kit, but that's the surrealistic world of eBay. Well grounded folk shouldn't mistake eBay for reality. For that money, a patient man should wait for the real deal... ie, a full Airtronics kit. Or you just say, "I want it!!!" and assume the postion.
Wallet open, which postion were you thinking?

Later,
Tim

PS... no, I'm not selling.
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Last edited by Esprit2; Mar 20, 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
236 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
[QUOTE=Ric Duley;14645633]Not a bad deal at all - but does not include the carbon boom and other extra parts this sale does. The boom alone is a hard to find and costly item.QUOTE]

Ric,

???
Click to the second picture... it clearly shows the graphite boom and the bubble canopy in the DC short kit. All DC kits, short and long, came with the graphite boom and canopy. The plastic nose is minor (and un-lovely), and the mixer is a non-event in a day of modern mixer radios.

Regards,
Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
Jimfrisky
Joined Jan 2001
428 Posts
That's all very interesting I had one in 70's boy that plane would fly and do the flattest turn. When I saw that on Ebay I thought I'd let you folks know but I see your all ahead of me lol
JIM
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
484 Posts
Grand Esprit

For those that know Tim he is Mr. Grand Esprit...for those that have been watching Grand Esprit kits know that he is right on.....Yes there are some kits still out there .....Mr. Kite
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite