SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:57 PM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
570 Posts
Discussion
Amphitheater Slope Soaring

The park where I fly has a very nice looking Amphitheater and I have been wanting to build a micro slope soarer since the first time I saw the park. I finally had some time to build the model for this experiment. The model is my own design which I have named "I-Soar". I did some slope flying in Southern California during the 1960's and 1970's. I think the I-Soar looks a lot like what we flew back then just smaller. Wing span is 10 inches. Weight ready to fly is 13.2 grams. I had to add some ballast to the nose. The weight without ballast was 12.1 grams. Wing loading with the ballast works out to 0.85 gram/sq.in. which is still under my target of 1 gram/sq.in. The radio used is a Vapor brick on rudder and elevator powered by a Full River 50 MAH cell. I had to move the brick farther aft than I wanted to allow clearence for the battery to pass into the nose which made the ballast necessary. Hand glides look very good for slope flying and I'm happy with the results so far. I hope to test fly on the hill this weekend. I'm posting a couple photos of the "slope" to give you an idea of what I'm working with. The photos do seem to make the slope look a lot flatter than it actually is. I will post results once I get to try it.

Ralph B
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:23 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Sounds interesting! I love the concept.

I hope you will be able to take some videos.

The gears are turning in my head. Next week I will be in Oklahoma with more time on my hands than I know what to do with. (training on some test gear with seven or eight hours of class and NOTHING else to do but think and play with my computer.)

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
Yes, I like the concept as well, nice little glider Ralph, be sure to let us know how it works out.

I have a similar flying site but its more like a built up island 6-8 meters above the surrounding area, I think it was a very old garbage disposal area. Now its a huge 500M by 300M island mesa.

I am currently building the old 2001 design 29.5" span BUG Mosquito class HLG to use for the same purpose you propose.

The lightest BUG built to my knowledge so far is 72 grams, my BUG with Park Zone vapor brick should be somewhere between 45-50 grams, which isn't bad as the 2001 design plan calls for a flying weight of 100 grams.

Further down the road I would like to convert a FREE Flight Round-a-bout 35" span DLG (plans available online) to mosquito class (already scaled down plans) to RC with vapor brick - 50 grams weight should be do-able.

Seems like alot of glider, motor glider action happening of late - I like what I see.
Charos is offline Find More Posts by Charos
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2000
570 Posts
There is a football field next to the Amphitheater which is where I fly my powered models. Last summer I was flying my Termite-II and as I was setting up the landing I felt a slight breeze blowing in a favorable direction for the Amphitheater. I made a pass over the ridge and there was definitely lift being produced. Even with a wing span of only 28 inches the Termite-II felt a little too big for the hill. Here is a photo of the Termite-II.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:52 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
Very cool Ralph! i am trying to get my own micro glider going for the slope event coming up in april. i was going for the very solid fast micro, as its a large high lift hill. but i may try one like this as well incase the winds aren't favorable for our bigger stuff
sure wish there was a decent slope close to here so i could get out and do it more.

if you can, some video of it would be sweet!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
Ralph I think the BUG will be OK as the wing area is alot more than the Termite.

See this YouTube video of a heavy BUG slope soaring a river levee.

Bug RC Glider (4 min 35 sec)
Charos is offline Find More Posts by Charos
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2000
570 Posts
Nice video. The Bug looks like a very good ship for light lift.

Ralph
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
Hmm how much turbulence do you think there'd be from the structure infront of the slope?
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:00 AM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
818 Posts
Love it as I love all your planes Ralph. Keep us posted, this looks great!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:45 PM
iPhly R/C with iPhone
Silicon Valley, Calif
Joined Jan 2005
1,723 Posts
Cool idea and cooler implementation! Thank you for sharing your innovations. Your models are an inspiration to me.

Ari.
iter is offline Find More Posts by iter
Old Mar 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2000
570 Posts
Thanks for all the nice comments. The wind has been blowing in the wrong direction all day. We are in a bubble of high pressue that is supposed to be moving out of the area tonight. I hope tomorrow will bring more favorable conditions and a flight report.

Ralph
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
thats the thing about sloping, its weather dependent
our local slope used to be active quite often but the local climate has changed and now its rare to get favorable winds.
i also started on one for the kyosho brick today, will post in a new thread later.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:06 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
finally some gloders i am going to try to slope my sukhoi tommarow i think there are a few sand mine pits near my house taht we fly foamies and some hgher performance gliders at but tommarow winds will be lite and int he rite direction so ima give it a try
i was also thinking of making a flat wing version of this with aileronshttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209762
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:11 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,046 Posts
I built a free flight 5" Micro Mite a few years ago, and even that little thing would catch some air and take off sometimes, the I-Soar should do great.

How does the wind always seem to know to change direction when a new plane has been built? It never fails to do that around here.

Nice work as always.
Nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
Ralph
I think its rather easy on the eyes, not really an eyesore. Can you detail how the elevator is hooked up? it looks very nice, and there are a lot of FF models that I would love to convert, but I haven't had much luck with light weight solutions when the elevator wasn't hinged on the plane as the rudder line hinge.

Thanks,
Fritz
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
Last edited by fmhans; Mar 21, 2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo...