HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:18 PM
Airmaster
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
85 Posts
Build Log
Hangar 9 Spitfire Build Log

My parents gave me some money for my birthday, and I decided to get a Spitfire, since I've always wanted a low wing, tail dragger WW2 warbird.

I found this plane on ebay, and it arrived about two weeks ago.

I have also picked up an engine - a Saito FA-91S.

I plan to use the stock retracts. I have ordered glue, a pilot and other accessories from HobbyKing, and I need to pick up some more servos and then I'll be ready to go.
Airmaster23 is offline Find More Posts by Airmaster23
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,283 Posts
Nice. I'm just putting together a Hellcat, learning lots.
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
I just picked one of these up at a flea market a week ago, its a nice kit

I plan to run either a satio or OS 4 stroke, with one of these exhausts:

http://www.keleo-creations.com/produ...products_id=55

I plan to use this as a step up from my nitro trainer (been flying park birds for a while now), since it's a sport/warbird hybrid. This winter, I plan to move all the parts to a Top flight gold edition spitfire in the same scale bracket, to get a little more of the scale touches back.
AggressorBLUE is online now Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:04 PM
Crazy Pilot-gone insane...
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
120 Posts
Hangar 9 and glow

Hey!

I have this plane. Do yourself the favor and GO ELECTRIC NOW! check this out...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=182623

you wont be sorry you did...btw that is EXACTLY WHAT IM GOING TO USE...for the price of a good FS, maybe slightly more you go electric, charger and all...
harttvboy is offline Find More Posts by harttvboy
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:06 AM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harttvboy View Post
Hey!

I have this plane. Do yourself the favor and GO ELECTRIC NOW! check this out...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=182623

you wont be sorry you did...btw that is EXACTLY WHAT IM GOING TO USE...for the price of a good FS, maybe slightly more you go electric, charger and all...
I'd thought about doing this, but I was concerned about the placement of the battery. Where do you put it so that it's easy to swap out?
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:22 PM
Airmaster
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
85 Posts
More components have arrived.

A few weeks ago I ordered some servos and a remote glow from Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton. The order arrived last week.

So, I now have 7 servos (4 Hitec HS-325, 2 Hitec HS-425BB, and 1 Hitec HS-75BB), a Hitec Supreme receiver and switch harness.

I plan to use the 425s for the ailerons, although I could use one for the flaps and the other for the elevator. The aileron servos probably aren't stressed that much since there is a servo for both.

I'm still waiting for a big order from Hobby King to arrive. There are 22 items in the order, and 7 are still on backorder (batteries, propeller, pilot, remote fuel valve, hinges, and alligator clips).

And, there's an order from ebay for some additional four stroke glow plugs.

I have one more project on the table (floats for an old trainer) and then I can start building the Spit.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:08 AM
Airmaster
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
85 Posts
The Canopy Debacle

So, one thing I've failed to mention is the broken canopy.

The model, as far as I can tell, arrived from the "clutterfree seller" on ebay with only 2 problems. First, the canopy was broken in 3 or 4 places. Second, there is a slight wrinkle in the covering on one of the wing tips. That should be easy to fix with my covering iron. I just need to remember to clean the iron beforehand, and to use low heat.

Anyway, the ebay seller didn't have replacement canopies - they just sell arfs - so they offered to reimburse me if I bought it from somewhere else. So, after searching around the net for a while, I discovered that Great Hobbies from PEI (Canada) had a spitfire canopy in stock. I ordered it, ~$9 for the canopy, ~$10 for shipping, and I specifically asked them to ensure that the canopy was well packed.

The canopy arrived from Great Hobbies a few days later in a flimsy cardboard box, packed with newspaper. It was broken in 2 places. So, after an email, then a phone call, then another email, Great Hobbies agreed that the canopy was broken and they'd send me another one. When it comes back in stock. Which is at the end of April. However, I've been so busy fixing an older training and flying an even older trainer on skis that I haven't started on the Spit yet. And, the end of the April is coming soon. Hopefully, I'll have an intact canopy.

Has anyone else had trouble with the canopy? Is it especially flimsy, or susceptible to shipping damage?

The first 2 pictures are from the canopy that came with the ARF, the 3rd & 4th are from Great Hobbies' canopy.

I just checked Hangar 9 & Horizon Hobby and the canopy availability date has been pushed back to mid-May...Anyone know where I can a canopy? HAN4254? I guess I can put one of the broken ones on there and then switch it once I get a new canopy...
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:01 PM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Airmaster

yes, my canopy has a crack as well, seemed to have come that way. Does horizon hobby not ship directly to Canada? I think they offer replacements.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:57 PM
Redding, CA
Joined Mar 2008
16 Posts
Airmaster,

I have the same kit and had the same problem. I think it was a packaging problem right from the factory. In my case, all it took was a phone call to Horizon Hobbies and a new canopy was in the mail. NO CHARGE

Good luck with your build and keep the posts coming.

Charlie
cdaubs is offline Find More Posts by cdaubs
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:50 PM
Airmaster
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
85 Posts
I haven't called Horizon yet. I figure there's not much point if the canopy is showing backorder until May on their website.

Last weekend I was in Buffalo, NY and I picked up a bottle of thin CA. I ordered some in my Hobby King order, but it hasn't shipped yet as there are still a few more things on backorder.

I though I'd get to hinging the ailerons this week, but no dice. I'm off to Mississauga, Ontario tomorrow for a two week course, so it will be a while before I get started on the Spit.

Oh well, my goal is to fly before the first snow. That's why I got the Hangar 9 ARF vs. the Top Flite kit. I knew there was no way I could build a kit in 6 months.

Happy Flying.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:28 PM
Crazy Pilot-gone insane...
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Nov 2009
120 Posts
Battery placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
I'd thought about doing this, but I was concerned about the placement of the battery. Where do you put it so that it's easy to swap out?
I am thinking it will go where the fuel tank would have resided- I plan on cutting the fuse open somewhere not structurally inefficient and making a hatch. If this proves to be too cumbersome, I will simply remove the wing to do so-no biggie for me (especially if it saves me from EVER having to clean fuel off this BEAUTIFUL bird anyway!)!!!
harttvboy is offline Find More Posts by harttvboy
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
I just picked one of these up at a flea market a week ago, its a nice kit

I plan to run either a satio or OS 4 stroke, with one of these exhausts:

http://www.keleo-creations.com/produ...products_id=55

I plan to use this as a step up from my nitro trainer (been flying park birds for a while now), since it's a sport/warbird hybrid. This winter, I plan to move all the parts to a Top flight gold edition spitfire in the same scale bracket, to get a little more of the scale touches back.
I've been flying electric parkies for almost a year now and am considering glow. Did you feel like you really needed to go back to a trainer for glow? I was hoping to skip that step...
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:42 AM
Park Stormer
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
I've been flying electric parkies for almost a year now and am considering glow. Did you feel like you really needed to go back to a trainer for glow? I was hoping to skip that step...
Yea, I'd say you'll want to get a 40 size glow trainer before this thing. If you have experience on planes this size/weight/speed/performance in the electric range, it would be different. That said, you can probably get an ARF trainer, and go with a more aggressive power setup. I walk by the unassembled plane in my basement each day, a cruel reminded that I haven't gotten out flying enough this season
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
I am flying trainers while I scratch build a Tony Nijhius 63 inch Spit and 60 inch Hurricane.

Currently having heaps of fun with a Pheonix Tiger 40 Low winger. My isntructor loves flying it.

The better I get in this, the less likely I am to crash a war bird... And there is nothing wrong with getting more stick time on trainers no matter what your skills.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV