HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:40 PM
Horror Heli
Kiel, WI
Joined Mar 2010
179 Posts
Discussion
Esky Big Lama upgrades for easy flying?

Well to be completely honest, I am entirely new to the rc world of helicopters so if i don't understand something I'm not messing with you i honestly dont know

I got my Big Lama about........ 2 weeks ago, and have already felt the sick feeling from seeing it crash twice..... one time into a car .... "parked car" but besides from having to replace some canopy shoring and some blades, and gluing cracks in the fuselage it's still ok but i need to know some good tips for this type of flying. I don't have a "hobby shop" near me so this seemed like the helpful place to ask. Any good tips for first time flying? I noticed a lot of nice shinny metal upgrades from "Extreme" but everyone is out of stock just about, and i don't even know if it pays until i know what i'm doing. I found aoe brush less sets as well but as i said earlier it may just make the experience harder.

So at this point i'm going to stop babbling and actually wait for a helpful response... and for my replacement parts to get here to resemble, they arrive today
Flash6199 is offline Find More Posts by Flash6199
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:56 PM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Welcome to the Forums

There is a specific Bil Lama Upgrades thread where you can see all the things that we are doing to them

Link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054610 (I know it's 1100+ posts but, there is a tone of good info in there.)

First thing I recommend is the Shaft Extension. Leethetreeguy (His name here) Makes some really nice custom center shaft extensions. He has it up on ebay here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270546527698

This will seperate your uper and lower rotors to eliminate blade strikes. This will help you get better at flying by making your BL more forgiving when you make a bad stick input.

Check out the thread and post your questions there. A lot of s check it all the time and there are a lot of folks that will help

Dan
www.themicrocamguy.com
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,364 Posts
Hi Flash,

obviously you fly your BOL (Big Outdoor Lama) outside - which I don't. But I was bitten by the coax bug about 2 years ago and spend a lot of time keeping myself up to date on whats happening. I also fly/flew Lama4, CX3, Lama400D, 5G6, 5#10, Colco Apache AH64 and a bunch of other helis. (coax) ... my newest addition is a NineEagles Free Spirit (which is an FP heli, no coax)

Anyway, long introduction short advice: ( )

Please allow me to note, that Xtreme is NOT the only company that manufactures upgrade parts for the BOL! (a little bit of google-ing and a search here in the forum will show you what I mean)

As far as "tuning" is concerned, I would honestly tell you not to rush it. Get to know your bird first the way it is - basically stock!! once you are comfortable flying that, think about what you want to "tune" to be able to keep on pushing the envelope.

For starters - what I would however change for outside flight is the inner shaft, as the distance between the rotorplanes on the BOL is significantly on the [too] short side. For info on an extended inner shaft you could pm leethetreeguy.

If you proceed upgrading your bird step by step the next I would do for outside after the extended inner shaft is different blades and maybe exchange the upper bearing housing (that is a proven technique among the little LamaV4 and blade cx2/3 flyers ... longer inner shaft, better blades and an aluminum upper bearing housing ... keeps the expense for the mod on the "lighter side" and has some of the most noticeable effect (particularly extending your inner shaft!!)

Keep on researching the big lama threads here or on some "neighbor-forums" and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

Hope that helped a little
regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:07 PM
Horror Heli
Kiel, WI
Joined Mar 2010
179 Posts
wow thank you for the great help so far
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
Horror Heli
Kiel, WI
Joined Mar 2010
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrstorm View Post
Welcome to the Forums

There is a specific Bil Lama Upgrades thread where you can see all the things that we are doing to them

Link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054610 (I know it's 1100+ posts but, there is a tone of good info in there.)

First thing I recommend is the Shaft Extension. Leethetreeguy (His name here) Makes some really nice custom center shaft extensions. He has it up on ebay here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270546527698

This will seperate your uper and lower rotors to eliminate blade strikes. This will help you get better at flying by making your BL more forgiving when you make a bad stick input.

Check out the thread and post your questions there. A lot of s check it all the time and there are a lot of folks that will help

Dan
www.themicrocamguy.com
hate to double post but on your sid pic i looked at your BOL and I love the way that blue metal set looks but i can only find purple and steel colored ones do you have a link? Or did I miss- assume what they were?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,370 Posts
Get a set of Xtreme blades and a +15 metal extension. Don't buy the metal or regular or extended kits from EBay as they'll make your heli fly poorly and fall apart after several flights.

http://www.eskyhelicopters.com/xtrem...ite-p-593.html
http://www.eskyhelicopters.com/xtrem...ite-p-592.html
http://www.eskyhelicopters.com/xtrem...ama-p-571.html

I wish I had done that when I first purchased my Big Lama. They're almost indestructible and will help you learn to fly without breaking blades every other flight. Then when you get better, buy 20x or so replacement blades from EBay from seller globalmart, and this Align TRex 500 flybar rod to extend the shaft an adddition al 12mm. Use a fine hacksaw blade to cut it. Don't worry so much about metal swashplate and blades grips just yet as they add weight and you don't always need them.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:01 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,040 Posts
I would say get Viper450 carbon reinforsced blades to learn on. But I guess that is just my thought. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:44 AM
southern maryland
Joined Aug 2010
99 Posts
good advice but for alot of us new pilots it's hard enough trying to fly let alone making modifications for the shaft..so much advice and clips of the final product but no pictures or clips on how to actually do them...as soon as i get good and smart I hope to be able to do this and help new folks to the addiction...
rr9434 is offline Find More Posts by rr9434
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 AM
southern maryland
Joined Aug 2010
99 Posts
Sir....i heard that you sell extended shafts for the big lama. If you can provided any information and prices that would be great...pictures or video links on how to do the modification would be even better...thanks
rr9434 is offline Find More Posts by rr9434