HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:42 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,115 Posts
Discussion
Tomboy by Vic Smeed

Hello. I have just finished a Tomboy from Aeromodeller Plans Service and designed by Vic Smeed, Without doubt one of the most popular Sports Free Flight model ever. The plan was a best seller. It is my fourth Tomboy and the first one with RC. It is powered with an old Cox Black Widow .049, monokote covered and it uses a Hobby King 2.4 GHZ radio with a miniature servo, only rudder in order not to lose the free flight spirit but not having to chase the model all over the countryside!! I would like to obtain a scan of the original Aeromodeller Magazine article and cover where it was published. Thanks!! I also want to hear about other Tomboys made and flown.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
43 Posts
If you go to http://www.modelflyermagazine.com/ you will find a link to the Aeromodeller index.
The index shows Tomboy as November 1950
Model Flyer recently had a column by David Boddington about enlarging the Tomboy to 60 inches and 72 inches I think.
Also Aviation Modeller had one enlarged as TomEBoy for electric at about 54 inches.
kdc. is offline Find More Posts by kdc.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:34 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,115 Posts
Thanks for information. A double size Tomboy is a good idea!! Perhaps one day I will do it. In the meantime, my 4th Tomboy is flying superbly even at our elevation in Bogotá of 8.650 feet above sea level. Will post photos soon.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:53 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
603 Posts
Hi Eduardo,
I'll send those scans soon.
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:56 PM
Sunny Sarfend on Sea. UK
Joined Jan 2008
62 Posts
Scan for the original Aeromodeller article can be found here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post12762491
RSTMG is offline Find More Posts by RSTMG
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:23 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,115 Posts
Thank you very much Warren you are very kind.
Best wishes!!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:20 AM
Joined Nov 2009
43 Posts
Sorry my information about TomEBoy was incorrect it was a free plan in RC ModelWorld ( not Aviation Modeller) September 2002 and only 42 inch span RCMW is at www.traplet.com
I had assumed that as Aviation Modeller International had aquired Aeromodeller that AMI would have published the new plan. Not so it seems.
kdc. is offline Find More Posts by kdc.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:58 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Tomboy

Yes, the Tomboy is a lovely model - just finishing off the 36" version for the third time only this one RC. It is fitted with a Boddington Mills .75 and lightweight radio. I also have built one at 80inch wing span. Lovely flyer which underwent several changes due to....ahem....slight mishaps. Eventually lowered dihedral and fitted ailerons and had many happy hours of flying with it.
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:05 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
629 Posts
Nice job Teals.
How is the wing fixed ?
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:36 AM
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Tomboy

Hi Patmcc, This photo was taken prior to compete finishing. For the photo pins held the wings in place but the usual dowels have since been fitted and rubber bands will hold things together as per the original. I have used Airspan for covering, stuck down with Stixit, a light coat of thin dope followed by a light coat of polyurethane. Looks like the weight will come out around 15oz.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:32 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
792 Posts
Is polyurethane diesel fuelproof ??
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:58 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teals1 View Post
Hi Patmcc, This photo was taken prior to compete finishing. For the photo pins held the wings in place but the usual dowels have since been fitted and rubber bands will hold things together as per the original. I have used Airspan for covering, stuck down with Stixit, a light coat of thin dope followed by a light coat of polyurethane. Looks like the weight will come out around 15oz.
I asked because I thought someone else was following the same principle as me. I avoid using bands if possible & usually retain the wings with a single screw on vintage models on the principle that the original only had bands because there was little, or more likely, no control over how it landed but now we can at least line it up into wind & land on the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
Is polyurethane diesel fuelproof ??
I've always found it so.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Last edited by patmcc; Jun 02, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:18 AM
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Tomboy

Sorry for late reply. Have been told a light coat of polyurethane is Ok. Even so, the Airspan covering used is fuel proof according to the brochure enclosed with the covering material. Also gave it a light coat of thin dope to help fill the weave. Test flight will have to wait as work calls me out of town.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Tomboy

Just to report that test flights went like clockwork. Just a little right rudder trim adjustment needed. Cold frosty morning with no wind to speak of so no thermals but still got around 5 minutes total flight time - just over a minute on power with just under 4 minutes glide. Will need to try out various props etc in an effort to lengthen the motor run time. Weight has come out at just a tad over 12oz all up. Have used micro servos, small receiver and 800mah batteries. Everything except servos fit behind the first fuselage former, the firewall. Delightful flyer and other modellers enjoyed diesel fuel fumes again, bringing back memories of the past!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:06 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Hello Allen.
Beautiful, a real head turner and good flyer.
Nice job.

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white