Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
totally insane
manchester, england
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Discussion
canadair CL-415 build

Hi
Thought I would include some pics of my latest float plane,this is the free plan available from RC-WASSERFLUG, this is the CANADAIR CL-415 at 65 inch span for electric power.The plane is finished in solar film with solartex under the waterline.The plane wieghs in at 5.5 lb, has a 5000 mah lipo and consumes about 30 amp on full throt,[ I thinkshe is cruising on much less than this]I have flown it from wet grass,she didnt want to move until a good push,then she trundled off and just ambled into the air at a very slow speed[and this was without any flap.After some hieght was gained flaps were tried and the flying speed was reduced to a half amble !but wth no real hassle even when a deliberate stall was induced she just stopped and gently resumed flying!. This model will be flyingat the first WINDERMERE WATERPLANE FLYERS meeting SAT 27 MARCH 2010,[or SUN28 th]
Some more pics inc
pete lewis is offline Find More Posts by pete lewis
Last edited by pete lewis; Mar 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: additions
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
Joined May 2009
4 Posts
re. canadair CL-415 build

Are you the same Pete Lewis whose Twinstar on floats is featured on the front
cover of the April 2010 RCM&E ?
michael.cavey is offline Find More Posts by michael.cavey
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:42 AM
totally insane
manchester, england
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Hi Mike
You noticed !!!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Beautiful Model!

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:26 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,695 Posts
Very nice job and a big improvement over the ARF version at around 13 pounds. My CL-215 is a great flier, but heavy. I just didn't want to take on another scratch build at the time. However, now I'm at it again with a Wal.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:34 PM
totally insane
manchester, england
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
response

Hi Typhoon & PCskier,
Thanks Typhoon you are obviously a man of taste! PCskier- what is the span of you 215[my 415 is 65inch] also the WAL is looking good, more pics?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:50 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,695 Posts
Pete, my Cl-215 has a wing span of 80". I recently modified it with Fowler type flaps and increased their span to a more scale like size, along with reducing the aileron size just a bit. Check my threads: "KMP CL-215 Fowler flaps" and "Dornier Wal seaplane" in Waterplanes. I need to update the Wal thread with new progress, though.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
totally insane
manchester, england
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
assymetric thrust setup for Canadair 215

Hi pc skier
I have looked at your other postings, and would appreciate any information concerning the twin motor steering setup ie. do the motors still have full assymetric thrust when airborne ? or do you switch it off before take off ? I just worry that assymetric thrust during flight may be problematical, please help !
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:38 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,695 Posts
The asymmetric, or differential, thrust on a twin motored seaplane is the only way to go. Forget a water rudder. For my setup, I programmed my transmitter (a new Hitec Aurora 9, which I love) for two motors, each one on a different channel. I then mixed the rudder and motor, for the left and right ESCs, so that when I move the rudder to the left the right motor speeds up and when I move the rudder to the right the left motor speeds up. Programming it this way allows the plane to be sitting in the water with both motors off and then the appropriate motor speeds up when a turn is desired. It was obvious right away that I definitely did not want this mixing action to be active in the air so I programmed a dedicated switch to turn on or off the mixing. My takeoff procedure is to always stop the airplane and shut off both motors before takeoff. I then check that this switch is in the correct position. Some day, I will try the mixing in the air and practice engine out flying but I haven't been brave enough to do it, yet.
My Aurora 9 was very easy to program the twin. Depending on your system, this may or may not be the case.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Link to Free plan @ RC-Wasserflug ?

Hi Pete,

Very nice work and great looking 'boat, I trawlled through the site mentioned in post 1. But was unable to find details of the free plan, any chance of some help in this area please, when you have the time thanks.
I scratch built a 1 mtr. suitcase version some time back and would like to make another larger version around the 2mtr size.
How did your float meet at Windermere go? Cheers,

regards to all, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Apr 02, 2010, 09:04 AM
totally insane
manchester, england
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
Rotorheid
If you look on the RC-Wasserflug site you should see downloads, go on this then scroll down to CANADAIR CL- 415 Jean- Francois Thier and download these files, hey presto!the meet at Windermere was problematical! the wind was very strong and I decided to turn the plane without enough space behind myself ie the plane finished up stuck in a tree about 40 feet up, this was resolved later by poking it out with a long stick! much egg on face, just because i wanted to look at my new landing lights close[too close] up! I will send some pictures later.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 09:14 AM
totally insane
manchester, england
Joined Jan 2006
65 Posts
assymetric thrust

Hi PC-skier
Thanks ever so much for the info! I had my TWINSTAR set up with differential thrust but was too much of a coward to try it, went back to rudder control.Why didnt I think of switching it off before flight!?. My basic problem is stupidity! and would probably take off with the switch the wrong way and then see a CL- 415 crash,I will set it up as you have and give it a whirl!
Old Apr 02, 2010, 11:16 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lewis View Post
I had my TWINSTAR set up with differential thrust but was too much of a coward to try it, went back to rudder control.Why didnt I think of switching it off before flight!?.
If you use a small percentage of throttle mix with the rudder control (15% to 25%) then you don't have to switch it off. I leave mine "on" all the time and the differential thrust just seems to add to the effectiveness of the rudder whether it's in the water or in the air.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:52 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,695 Posts
McD, that's a thought, but I prefer to have the capability to go to anywhere from 0% to 100% on only one motor when I need to. On a big plane, sometimes you get into a situation where there just isn't enough room to make a 180 deg. turn in a narrow body of water without this capability.
Using your idea, however, I can program a very low rate into one selection of dual rates for the rudder and then just not turn off the rudder/throttle mix when I am flying. I would otherwise use a high rudder rate with the mix off, at other times.
I'l have to try your idea for helping with the turns in the air.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 09:43 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,136 Posts
I like your idea of using rates to change the amount of differential thrust that gets mixed with the rudder. I'm going to give it a try on mine.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28