HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Sweet!

Nice to see another TR owner on here! I think that makes three of us. GNX clone or the real deal? (I assume it's a clone.)

670 pounds of torque?? Bet that sets you back in the seat a bit! I'm only running 410 RWHP & 485 pound-feet of torque @ 22 pounds of boost on 100 octane unleaded.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Sweet!

Nice to see another TR owner on here! I think that makes three of us. GNX clone or the real deal? (I assume it's a clone.)

670 pounds of torque?? Bet that sets you back in the seat a bit! I'm only running 410 RWHP & 485 pound-feet of torque @ 22 pounds of boost on 100 octane unleaded.

Joel
yeah Joel, I took an 86 GN and turned it into a GNX. Everything from the rear cover, gauges to turbo cover are GNX. The motor was done by Don Cruz. It doesn't really hook until 3rd. I'm afraid to use slicks, it's still got only a 10 bolt rear. Not too long ago, some poor car dealer exec around here got to see first hand how quick this really is. Spinning though first and second while pulling on him pretty hard, and those CTSVs aren't really what you can call slow. He had this sick look on his face at the next light. I don't normally do that, but he was just asking for it. On the boost, it's not really suitable for the street. I can't dial the boost low enough to keep from blasting past others at less than frightening pace. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with a more detuned motor.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
yeah Joel, I took an 86 GN and turned it into a GNX. Everything from the rear cover, gauges to turbo cover are GNX. The motor was done by Don Cruz. It doesn't really hook until 3rd. I'm afraid to use slicks, it's still got only a 10 bolt rear. Not too long ago, some poor car dealer exec around here got to see first hand how quick this really is. Spinning though first and second while pulling on him pretty hard, and those CTSVs aren't really what you can call slow. He had this sick look on his face at the next light. I don't normally do that, but he was just asking for it. On the boost, it's not really suitable for the street. I can't dial the boost low enough to keep from blasting past others at less than frightening pace. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with a more detuned motor.
That story made me laugh! Reminded me of when I decided look at possible replacements for my 40th anniversary GTP daily-driver. I was at the dealership getting some heater work done on the GTP, and decided to try out the then-new Pontiac G8 GT. I warned the sales rep that I was going to put the car through its paces. I tried to get it loose on my favorite progressively tightening on-ramp. The car held remarkably well, despite its two-ton mass. I let 'er rip down the ramp & onto the freeway. The rep was turning a bit pale. I let off at about 90 MPH & backed it down to the speed limit. The speedometer said that the car was kinda quick, but it didn't register very high on my 'butt-o-meter' scale. (I later looked up the power-curve & found out why. Peak torque was around 4,000 RPM!) The rep was rather quiet on the ride back to the lot. As we pulled in, he asked me if I was ready to buy one. I told him that it was a bit slow for my taste. In an incredulous voice, he then asked, "What do you normally drive??" I told him that my dd is a blown Grand Prix and my weekend toy is a tweaked '87 GN. He said, "Oh, now I understand!"

Joel
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
"what do you normally drive??" i told him that my dd is a blown grand prix and my weekend toy is a tweaked '87 gn. He said, "oh, now i understand!"

joel
lmao....
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Just drove my wagon 1200 miles to Ohio and back for the Buick Performance Group Nationals and wanted to share this picture - Its inspired me to name my car "Sportin'Wood"

seein' how its a SPORTwagon with WOODgrain

Yeah, Yeah, thats the ticket
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Alan,

Sweet! Aptly-named, as well. What's under the hood? (I'm referring to car, of course. )

Joel
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Thanks Joel ..

Its a SportWagon 400, so it has the Buick Big Block 400 cu.in. engine - the car is a 29K one owner all original survivor. I got 16.4 mpg doing ~75mph with the r12 blasting 43* air on me. Its got the stock 3.23 rear in it ...

... but sitting in the garage is a ~525hp 455", a built TH400 with lower 1st and 2nd gearset, a 12-bolt Posi with 3.73's and a gearvendors under/overdrive unit left over from a project I sold to buy the Sporty. I am SOOooo tempted to do you know what, but the Sporty is just so original and runs so well.

Actually, truth be told, I'd LOVE to put a supercharged LSx and 6sp manual trans in it and drive the wheels off it but I'd be ostracized from the Buick community. Someday maybe ...
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Last edited by Alan W; Aug 10, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
Just drove my wagon 1200 miles to Ohio and back for the Buick Performance Group Nationals and wanted to share this picture - Its inspired me to name my car "Sportin'Wood"

I don't see the car in that photo...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,865 Posts
Nice bolt on's
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Does this model have airbags?

sorry couldn't resist.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:31 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Alan,

Wow. All original - and a she's a GS 400, to boot. Very, cool, indeed! Is that a 68? If you ever molest that car, the only choice would be that 455. Anything else would definitely get you ostracized. Well, I think one of those all-aluminum, all-forged, direct-injected Buick 3.6L V6s with, say, twin turbos & an 6L80E would probably keep you in good standing with the Buick crowd. The Buick 3.6 was designed for twin-turbos & 450+ net HP. I'd love to drop one into something some day. BTW - in which car were you originally planning to use the 455?

I used to have a '67 GS 400 4-speed ragtop w/posi. If I remember correctly, it had 3:36 gears. Had it massaged to a bit over 400 HP at the crank with a set of forged TRW 11:1 pistons, a Stage 1 head-job, and a Stage 1 cam. I drove the crap out of that car. At the time, I didn't know that there were only 422 of them.

I've always been a Buick hot-rodder. It was 425 nailheads back in high-school, and then the 400 GS, a few 455s, and finally the 3.8 turbo. As the saying goes, you might drive a Buick if - race-prep means turning off the A/C.

Joel
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:42 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Does this model have airbags?

sorry couldn't resist.
Apparently so. And it appears that inflation is not required. (This is almost too easy!)

Joel
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
740 Posts
Just drove the pyrobus 700 miles this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post

Yeah, thanks for posting

Heres my Bitch.

Pyro
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus
Last edited by pyrobus; Aug 11, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
740 Posts
Covered bridge tour

Im going to call it touring wood.

Love all the Hot Rides that have been posted.

Man My Dog Polar really loved it, especially chasing the champ around by the round barn in lodi.

Cheers,

Pyro
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
740 Posts
Covered Bridges

Saw Lots of these, some of them sure are located off the main road.

Had a blast! Saw a few hot rides, but this guy sure was cookin.

The storm was about to hit and he sure was in a hurry!

Cheers,

Pyro