HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2003, 10:13 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Sokol, 16/15/3, and 8 FAUP's?

I have a few FAUP's sitting around, and I think that I can handle 8 in my Sokol. Motor to be run is the 16/15/3.

25oz/ft does not sound too bad to me...you?

If anyone thinks that I am nuts, please stop me now

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2003, 10:21 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,020 Posts
Hang on, it's going to be a fun ride.

(Almost forgot, Edogfight sells wing replacements.)
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; May 28, 2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old May 28, 2003, 10:33 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Hey James, Ill be keeping an eye on this thread to see if you get the combo up and running. I wanted to do the exact same setup. But about 2 months ago I lost the plane that had my 16/15/3 in it. I never found the plane. Ill eventually replace it, just dont have the cash. The plane also had the RX, servos and ESC that I planned to use in my new SOKOL. Oh well...............

Good luck,
Barrett
Barrett is offline Find More Posts by Barrett
Old May 28, 2003, 10:40 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Sure it'll work. Just be ready to land when the power cuts out. It should be fun. My favorite all time plane was a 250 sq in sport plane with a 1015 in it. I stuffed 8 rc2400s into it and it was a ball. Wingloading was well over 25 oz per sq in.

I lost it in the weeds for nearly 3 weeks. It was just too smelly to fly after that (sob)

Mitch
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old May 29, 2003, 12:59 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
You posted this twice.

You posted this question twice. I responded to the other thread here.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old May 29, 2003, 01:39 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Cuts from the other post that I asked the same question in responded to.

Mike,
I am not trying to start a flame war, it is just silly to argue on the internet, but I think it is feasible. Here is why...

Quote:
If you mean Sanyo HR-4/5FAUP cells, they weigh 39 grams each. A pack of eight weighs over eleven ounces. Assuming you meant a Mega 16/15/3 motor, that weighs 2.7 ounces. Add a couple servos at about 0.20 ounces each, 0.7 ounces for the controller, at least 0.1 ounce for the prop and miscellaneous stuff, and the plane itself at 4.4 ounces. That comes to at least 19.3 ounces. The wing area of a Sokol is 110 square inches, so your wing loading would be over 25 ounces per square foot.
You are right, they are 39g each, a little less if you strip the paper off and get the residual glue off with strong isopropyl or denatured alcohol. All up weight of all components is ~20oz, so...right, it will be over 25oz^ft, it will be ~26.18oz^ft.

Quote:
I have a VIP Racer, which is very close to a Sokol, and the whole plane weighs eleven ounces, ready to fly, using eight HR-AAAU cells and an Astro Flight 010 motor. My wing area is 157 square inches and my wing loading is 10 ounces per square foot. My plane flies really well. It's hard for me to imagine it flying at all with 2-1/2 times the wing loading.
I remember when you were asking about pylon racers a while back, glad you found a good combo. What is your watt draw on what props?

I used to have a Skat with 104sq/in and it weighed 19oz when I was done, ~26oz^ft. It needed to be thrown like a javelin, but she flew, and still did the air hockey puck landing. The Sokol has a MH43 airfoil, and the thickness is about 1.5 percent more than the Skat which the average thickness was .3 inches.

Quote:
Beside, I doubt you could even fit those cells into that fuselage.
Yes, yes I can...up to 12 or so if I was certifiably certifiable Close, but not fully there yet.

Quote:
Let's put it this way: If you did manage to get the plane to fly like that, I'll bet you'd never summon up enough mental endurance to fly long enough to drain the batteries.
I don't know, I just flew an Avionic D99 with a carbon FAI Hacker that would do all of 170mph and put a midget 40 or the fastest quickie 500 to shame on an FAI course. I also fly 45+oz^ft slopers that don't unnerve me for hours on end, wind and batteries permitting. Try a Razor from the now defunct CAI with a turbine...now that is fast and hairy.

It will be tough to launch, but I am not scared of either the wingloading or the or the fast landing speed. I have my best hand launcher of 20 years by my side to give me the initial javelin throw, and she will go like stink. Stay tuned, I am going to give it a shot, video will be included, and I might eat my words.

James
Old May 29, 2003, 07:29 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
VIP racer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miami Mike:
I have a VIP Racer, which is very close to a Sokol, and the whole plane weighs eleven ounces, ready to fly, using eight HR-AAAU cells and an Astro Flight 010 motor. My wing area is 157 square inches and my wing loading is 10 ounces per square foot. My plane flies really well. It's hard for me to imagine it flying at all with 2-1/2 times the wing loading.

Let's put it this way: If you did manage to get the plane to fly like that, I'll bet you'd never summon up enough mental endurance to fly long enough to drain the batteries.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't pass your opinion on everybody. The Sokol or VIP racer with Astro 010 is nothing more than faster parkflyer. I regularly fly my VIP with Hacker B20 18L, 8AA 1830 NiMH battery pack, weight 21 oz. for 10-15 minutes without any problems. This is what I consider a fast plane. I have more than 50 flight on it, no one bad hand lunch. I usually lunch it myself.
AC mini, Mega, Hacker all this motors are good, the 010 is week.
I have been at your field in Miami, people did not believe that I have same plane than you.
Best regards.

P.S: Also please don't use my pictures and push another distributor PERIOD
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Old May 29, 2003, 08:35 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
The 010 is not in the same class as the other motors listed - weight and or power wise, but is probally the most versatel of the group. Gram for gram including the reqd. batteries I think it compares quite favorable. It makes a very good transitional or learning motor for these faster planes on 8 -10sanyo 800nimh. Great light wingloading and almost no tendency of torque roll on launch. If I could only have one brushless motor for my fleet the 010 would make the short list.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Last edited by RocketRob; May 29, 2003 at 08:40 AM.
Old May 29, 2003, 12:38 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William A
Hang on, it's going to be a fun ride.

(Almost forgot, Edogfight sells wing replacements.)
Thanks, I will hold on...but it something explodes, I'll call ZB. Besides, you blessed blessed the application, right ZB?

Here is the battery pack that does not fit....Virgin cells, not yet stripped and violated
Old May 29, 2003, 01:23 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Ahh, the joys of Kapton!
Old May 29, 2003, 09:22 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts

Well gentleman, I am here to say that the Sokol was a complete success. Right out of the hand I knew I had a winner. 200W/lb do a good job getting after it. It was fast as a cat with it's arse on fire. I expected the high landing speeds, but they were very manageble. First flight was about 8 minutes with about 1086mah going back in the pack. Second flight was about 9 with thermal overload on the ESC kicking in at the 9 minute mark. Time to cut some NACA scoops for the front and an exit somewhere.

If you fly it at full throttle, it is hard to keep it in sight. Vertical is to the moon, actually, OOS.

Wanna race Mike?

Here she is after the maiden...
Old May 29, 2003, 10:22 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral_Red

. It was fast as a cat with it's arse on fire. actually, OOS.

Whilst cruel, I'm still smiling.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old May 30, 2003, 01:17 PM
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2002
899 Posts
I HAD a similar setup in my Adrenalin, Mega 16/15/2 on 7 FAUPs. With a Graupner 4.7x4.7 the rpm was about 25k on the ground.
Unfortunately the wing couldn't take the stress, came down in pieces.
Your Sokol is even heavier, I wouldn't pull it too hard at full throttle...
KrisS is offline Find More Posts by KrisS
Old May 30, 2003, 01:33 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
We shall see what the wing does in the long run, I was flying very lightly at first, but I think that I am alright when it comes to making sure that I do not use max elevator unless flying much slower. Problem is, half throttle, full throttle, no throttle, it never seems to want to settle down. I am going to put another HS-55 inline on the wing and set it up for spoilerons to get the drag up as it takes a 1/4 mile landing setup to get it on final.
Old May 30, 2003, 02:24 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,059 Posts
Originally posted by Admiral_Red

" I am going to put another HS-55 inline on the wing and set it up for spoilerons to get the drag up as it takes a 1/4 mile landing setup to get it on final."

I've been thinking of doing this too on my sokol as I up the speed/weight. My D-99 is set up that way, one servo in front of the other on the centerline of the wing, using brass balls on the end of the torque rods. Does anyone know where you can get those brass balls that slide over the end of the torque rod and are soldered into place?
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Last edited by ClayH; May 30, 2003 at 02:26 PM.