SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2003, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2003
94 Posts
Flying Styro F-16 build and power questions

I just got a FS f-16 and I'm about ready to begin putting it together.. although I have a few questions.

The kit came with glue.. should I use this? Or maybe probond, or something else?

I have the vasa55 fan, and a speed 300 motor. Will 8 1100 mah nimh packs work, or should I buy the ae cells?

Last but not least, I read in previous posts that the cg should be 3.5" from the leading edge... is this correct?

TIA to anyone who can help.

Ryan
G1K@home is offline Find More Posts by G1K@home
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2003, 01:15 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Ryan

>>The kit came with glue.. should I use this? Or maybe probond, or something else? <<

The glue that comes with the kit is a foam glue that works best as a kind of contact cement. There is very little building that you will do on this jet where that glue will be very useful. I built mine mostly with 5 minute epoxy, just don't overdo it.

>>I have the vasa55 fan, and a speed 300 motor. Will 8 1100 mah nimh packs work, or should I buy the ae cells? <<

I am guessing that you have a Graupner Speed 300 6V. That would be the correct one.

I have seen some of the newer 1100mAh Nimh packs that exceed the AE nicad packs in ability to provide current at higher rates than the AE's.

That being said, 6V Speed 300's will last longer on 7 cells, I have heard of guys getting good performance from this setup, plus it is lighter. I have always flown mine on 8 cells.

>>Last but not least, I read in previous posts that the cg should be 3.5" from the leading edge... is this correct? <<

I will double check mine, but that sounds correct. The other critical issue is that you must have a "cheater hole" in order to get enough air thru the fan to fly. There have been numerous posts on the FS F-16, I'm sure that you could do a search.

Good Luck,

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old May 29, 2003, 04:53 PM
Joined May 2003
94 Posts
Thanks MIke.

I have done a search and turned up a great deal of info, I just wanted to verify about the batteries, glue and CG.

I do have another Q, my wings done line up with the fuse, the wings are thicker than the fuse and it looks horrible. Is this the norm?

I'll try to post a pic of it tonight.

R
G1K@home is offline Find More Posts by G1K@home