HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:33 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Discussion
I have a Lanier SE5a coming, any tips or tricks.............

that I need to know about with this plane? I was made aware by Jack that I need to make sure and attach the upper ailerons to the top part of the aileron contrary to the instructions for a more smoother flight. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I just finished the Lanier Fokker D.VII and have about 5 flights on it now. It's a really nice flying plane and actually floats quite well for a Biplane.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:16 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
What motor are you going to put in yours? My brother's flies like a champ, just don't over-do it on the speed. These planes (especially the DVII) have some flutter issues. I reinforced my Dvii's tail with a carbon spar after I had a near disaster. I got flutter at the bottom of an unpowered dive!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:24 PM
Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2006
157 Posts
Subscribed.
Jack
juanito is offline Find More Posts by juanito
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:21 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Hey Dan, I will most likely use the same type motor that I have in the Fokker, which is a cheapy Tower Pro 2409-18T outrunner. It's a 1000 KV motor and with a 10x6 prop, I'm gettin about 170 watts on my watt meter. That's with a 3s 20c 1500mah lipo @ WOT. It's supposed to be a 180watt motor. it will pull that Fokker around quite nicely.

Yeah I read about the flutter issues with the Lanier SE5a, but didn't see anything about the flutter issue with the Fokker. I have not noticed it with my Fokker ye, but then again, I haven't done any real aerobatic stuff with it yet either. But I imagine with that exagerated elevator there could be flutter issues. I know mine doesn't like winds of 10-12mph winds at all. I flew mine yesterday just to see how it would do and I had to keep sme down elevator on it mos of the time because the nose kept wanting to pop up with every gust of wind. But then would fly nice and level when there weren't any gusts and I would have to let go of the down elevator or it would want to drop like a rock. I think they call it ballooning
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I'm running a Bp hobbies 2217-6 (or 10, I don't remember) on mine. That motor is supposedly like running an eflite 480-500. I rarely need anything above 3/4 speed, and in fact, too much punch will balloon it, like you said. I really just like flying around at 1/4-1/2 throttle, but it can do a few acrobatic maneuvers. I have managed to rip the rudder off doing a split S, I don't think they had that maneuver in mind when they built this plane!! Thankfully this plane has so much wing area, that I was able to set it down in a row of corn. A bit of epoxy and I was back in business. The horizontal stab on mine took a beating in some wind one time and really started flapping. I've since reinforced it with some flat spars running along the edges and one strung through underneath. Someday I'll recover mine and fix up a few weak points.

I'm close to picking up that Se-5, so hopefully I'll be joining you this spring sometime.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
I am putting together one this spring too. Looking forward to flying it - the couple of videos on the Lanier show it flying very well.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:18 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
38 Posts
Cool that you found one. I like it much better than the Electrifly version. I picked up one about a year ago that had been hanging in my LHS as a display and I love it. I fly mine with the original gearbox and in-runner motor. Much more power than is needed. This plane does not like speed, but it looks so good slow anyway. Have fun with it!
spitfire1999 is online now Find More Posts by spitfire1999
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
Hello, i have a lanier se5a, id stregthen the firewall and get some different wheels the wheels supplied with the arf ar then and brittle and will crack and break on your first flight. when i get home ill upload some pics of mine. i forget the company that made the wheels that i put on the plane...ill check...they are heavier but its deffintly worth it. Also if you fly off of semi flat grass field be prepared for lots of nose overs. make sure you put a couple grams of lead weight in the front of the plane. Its a fun plane..i think mines a bit under powered but they even say in the instructions that there is a risk of flutter...ill look up my moter and ESC when i get home as well.
Gunnar15 is offline Find More Posts by Gunnar15
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I have the DVII and can tell you that the Se-5, which my brother has, is certainly the better of the two. I haven't seen the flutter issue on the Se-5, but the Dvii certainly experiences some real flutter issues. It's nothing that a couple properly placed CF rods won't fix. Enjoy this plane, I really wish I could still find one for myself.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, I am a RUSH fan!
Out Flying
Joined May 2002
259 Posts
I have one as well, and the recommended CG was too tail heavy. The first flight was quite a challenge to say the least. I moved the CG another 1/4" or so forward (1.5 oz in the nose), and it flies quite nicely. One thing I did with the wheels was to drill a few holes in the back and fill them with Gorilla glue and a spritz of water - makes them much stronger while not adding much weight.
2112 is online now Find More Posts by 2112
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:23 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the CG. I saw your tip in another post and have already Gorilla-glued the wheels. The way I land sometimes maybe I should have used
epoxy.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:57 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
heres the pics of mine
Gunnar15 is offline Find More Posts by Gunnar15
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:33 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Didn't they want it to look like an SE5a then?
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:42 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
I bought Fokker and the SE5 back when they were going for $50.00. I couldn't take the looks of the Fokker and sold it after I built it ($50.00 with motor , speed control and servos). However, the SE5 was another story. I added rigging and dulled the finish and did the gorilla glue trick to the wheels. It became my windy day, I don't care if I crash cause there is no emotional attachment flyer. I found out that it flies really well and it started going to the field a lot more often than my other planes. Recently, a guy at the field really wanted to buy mine cause he crashed his and missed it. I reluctantly agreed. This week he said he bought another plane and couldn't buy mine. Whew! I really didn't want to sell that airplane.

Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:17 PM
Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2006
157 Posts
As Gerry says, go with the Gorilla Glue! And ignore the instructions for installation of the aileron horns... just make them match like you normally would do!

PeterR, your words are golden and your authority unquestioned... but the old Lanier is a fine ship, flying almost as well as your 36" version. A few fiddles make it look almost real.... and rigging can even substitute for the ugly crossbar on the interplane strut rig.

I will not sell my se5a's or my Fokkers.. but if I crash many more times, I'll be back here begging for spare parts.

Jack
juanito is offline Find More Posts by juanito