HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by johnbyrne, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:15 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,888 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
Wanted
Goldberg Falcon 56 or Skylark 56

Well my search for older designs continues. This time for a friend though. He just crashed a Falcon 56 which was bought used. Wing folded and resulted in a spectacular crash. Very much a kit now. Anyway, he wants another so I figured I'd see if anyone has an old kit they may want to part with. I'll be honest and say he is not a member here and doesn't know I'm asking so if we find one he may decide he doesn't want it but I figured it doesn't hurt to talk about it.

By the way, I'd be the one doing the buying even though it will be for him.

Thanks in advance
John

PS, If I can't get a kit I'd be interested in plans too and I'd love plans for the Skylark 56. This was my second plane and I have fond memories of it. Would be fun to build one again some day.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:45 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
202 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Falcon 56

John, Early RC Models www.earlyrcmodels.com sells a laser cut kit of the Falcon 56. Check them out. If you need a copy of the Skylark 56 plans I have them in a TIFF file I can e-mail you. PM me your e-mail info.

Bob Harris
BobHH is online now Find More Posts by BobHH
Last edited by BobHH; Mar 17, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,888 Posts
Thanks Bob

These guys have some really neat kits. brings back lots of memories. They want $130 for the Falcon. Not sure if my buddy will want to pay that much but I'm going to pass it along for sure. PM sent about the plans. Thank you!

Update: I just realized you said Skylark plans. I'm really excited now. Never thought I get that one so please do forward it to me. I see a scratch project in my near future.
Last edited by johnbyrne; Mar 17, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:16 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
202 Posts
Skylark 56

Actually John, I'm now working on an article on the Sr Skylark. Originally designed by Carl and John Wisniewski and flown by John in the 1965 Nats. Here is a picture of the first prototype from my plans built by no other than Dave Platt! Enjoy!!

Bob Harris
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:50 PM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
Gorgoeous!

John- You're aware the Falcon 56 was re-released under the MkIII version right? I haven't seen the kit so don't know how it differs from the MkII which I've built two of. Anyway, MkIII kits are cheaper than the laser cut versions, though I'm sure there are trade-offs involved.

Bob- Wow! Didn't know a Senior Skylark ever existed, and that one is awesome! Where will this article and plan be published? Mr. Platt did an awesome job, sure would like to know details on how he finished it. Where can I find out more?
jeff
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:51 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,888 Posts
Now that's beautiful. Is that an HP in the nose? Which publication will the article be in? Are plans available? I have a K&B 61 (pre Mecoa) that is brand new other than the 4 break in tanks I put on it this past Sunday. Still have it running rich on top but idles nice and pulls like a tank even rich on a 12x5 Zinger. That would be a nice match for this plane I'd think.

Jeff, I don't know all the history but my understanding is that the M3 was/is Hobbico's rework plane. I'm like you in that I don't know the difference but if the final shape is the same it doesn't really matter if it is strong and light I'd think. I can also see why Dave won so many scale contests. Very nice building! Look how tight the aileron gaps are
Last edited by johnbyrne; Mar 17, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
202 Posts
Sr Skylark

I hoping to have an article in Flying Models as we will see. Iím asked Model Aviation but got no reply. Iím waiting for a copy of a magazine article from Ed Sweeney who also flew the Sr Skylark at the 65 Nats. I have copies of the original plan velums from John and it was quite unique. It has a double tapered wing with barn door ailerons. Jim actually flew his with a constant cord wing like the Sr Skylark after damaging the original wing just before the Nats. He actually built and covered the wing in the motel room at the Nats!! Carl decided it was too expensive to kit and pulled to plug on the kit mfg.

Dave did a beautiful job on the prototype covering it in white silk and dope and finishing off the white trim and clear with KlassKote epoxy. Iíve got a twin drawn up also but have put it on the back burner until I can complete the article and such. I was hoping Early RC Models would kit it but I donít think Dan has decided yet.

Bob Harris
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:40 PM
USA, OH, Geneva
Joined Dec 2002
60 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
Hi John,
At the present I have both the Falcon 56 (Original),and a Falcon 56 MK ll Kits.Also have a wing kit for the Skylark,which has the plans for the whole plane.If any of these might be of use--LMK.
amelia-air is offline Find More Posts by amelia-air
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:02 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,888 Posts
I've gotten the Skylark plans so I think I'm good there. Perhaps PM with the particulars of what it would take to purchase a Falcon kit so I can pass it along to my friend. He isn't an RCG member and didn't think anyone would have a kit. He is going to be surprised .

Might as well shoot me a price for the wing kit. I'll probably just build scratch but you never know.

Thanks so much
John
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:09 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Trader Rating: 201
Just to mention,I built the Sr. Falcon from early models.Top notch kit.Worth the money.If only the pilot didn't have a !DUMB THUMB DAY!!"
KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
United States, KS, Lancaster
Joined Sep 2009
3 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
BobHH

I just parked my Falcon 56 in the top of a tree. My uncle built it for me years ago and i don't have the plans. if you could e-mail me the plans I would apperciat it. Mtthwcrss@aol.com

Thanks
mtthwcrss is offline Find More Posts by mtthwcrss
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,888 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Did you get it back? How much damage?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:53 PM
United States, KS, Lancaster
Joined Sep 2009
3 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Main damage was the horizontal stab; have to build a new left side. Other than that not to bad lost of patching to do on the wings. I hate black locust, but that is how it goes sometime. 2 more feet of elevation and I would have missed it. I was shooting a low level pass and crabbing into the wind and didn’t notice how far I had drifted to the north until it was too late. Landed 30 feet up the tree.
mtthwcrss is offline Find More Posts by mtthwcrss
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:20 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,888 Posts
Done that been there. I had a free flight plane once land in a darn sticker bush tree (have not idea what it kind of tree it was but sticker bush tree is accurate lol). I tried to get it out and finally just left it. I like my blood inside my body ha ha ha.

By the way, I started this thread for a friend. He has since found a great deal on a plane ready to fly and purchased it so he is off the market with respect to the Falcon ... at least for now . Thank you all who replied.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:22 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
202 Posts
Plans

mtthwcrss, which version do you need? I have the original Falcon 56 version but I don't think I have the MKII or MKIII.

Bob Harris