HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:35 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
dgpilot.

K, I've got it sitting outside on the lawn, the VTX and onboard video are unplugged, as is the ESC. I have no way of knowing if it's doing anything because my video is offline, but I'll let it sit there for a while.

I've already got a big toroid on the GPS cables, and smaller one on the video camera's cables. But the problem is that if you wrap the GPS cables around a toroid 4 or 5 times, you no longer have length of cable to distance the GPS unit from other components. So the GPS is maybe 6" from the DOSD, and 18" from the video transmitter, 12" from the camera, and several feet from the DragonLink RX. Seems like plenty of space to me, but I don't know.

What about this massively thick heat shrink they've got over the GPS module? If I cut that off, will it increase sensitivity?
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
dgpilot.

K, I've got it sitting outside on the lawn, the VTX and onboard video are unplugged, as is the ESC. I have no way of knowing if it's doing anything because my video is offline, but I'll let it sit there for a while.

I've already got a big toroid on the GPS cables, and smaller one on the video camera's cables. But the problem is that if you wrap the GPS cables around a toroid 4 or 5 times, you no longer have length of cable to distance the GPS unit from other components. So the GPS is maybe 6" from the DOSD, and 18" from the video transmitter, 12" from the camera, and several feet from the DragonLink RX. Seems like plenty of space to me, but I don't know.

What about this massively thick heat shrink they've got over the GPS module? If I cut that off, will it increase sensitivity?
not that I have seen. I have mine under foam and with shrink wrap. Wait an hour and then see if it is working. On something not related to the GPS, be careful of ground loops. Normally you will need a bec to power your gear. using the esc bec can cause the current sensor to burn out.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2009
269 Posts
Quote:
dgpilot.

U can also use clip-on ferites. Thats what i am using.
Don Moretti is offline Find More Posts by Don Moretti
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I set my DOSD Tx type to OTHER via PC Commander. My Tx has customized control assignments and the DOSD would keep moving channels around after firmware updates. After setting to OTHER I've been able to map the actual input channels with no more unwanted 'changing of channels'.

As for the item in your last picture, that's the mAh per distance measurement. It's linked to your SW channel. Set you SW to channel 15 to disable it or assign it to a 2-way switch to turn it on/off.
I am having trouble using a sanwa RX with a PPM encoder and the DOSD+ Without the USB to TTL cable to set every input, I am stuck, the automatic feature will not change to sanwa no matter what I do and therefore cannot use the command channel to bring up the menu to change anything...now I have to wait another week for the stupid cable...I would say the DOSD+ does not support sanwa with a PPM encoder at this time and the manual should not say it does...
squishy654 is offline Find More Posts by squishy654
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:59 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
K, I unplugged everything but the receiver, OSD, & GPS and just let it run for a half hour. It picked up 6 satellites, but the signals weren't very strong. Hovered right on the 1.4 -1.7 area, just barely in the zone where it'll let me fly.

Then I plugged back in the video TX and camera and tried it. Quick acquisition. Then I plugged back in the ESC (Opto) and it took a while to get sats. I wonder if the ESC is causing issues. I'm not using the BEC from it, I have a dedicated BEC for the servo power, and a dedicated BEC for the OSD/Camera gear.

I could not get the OSD to power up using the shunt between those two pins. Probably because my Current Sensor is bad. I couldn't get voltage or current to register, and it wasn't appearing in the PC Commander utility. So I got another one and now it's working.

At least I have sats now and can set my home position.

Now I've gotta to fly with it and see how it does.

Where does one find clip-on ferrites? Is that a Radio Shack item, or something I gotta get online?

Thanks for the help guys.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined May 2009
269 Posts
I think in your country radio shack is something like an electronics supplier. So you`ll probably find it there
Don Moretti is offline Find More Posts by Don Moretti
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
I'm going to be in Melbourne for a few days so if I don't respond - it's probably because I don't have an Internet connection.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2008
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy654 View Post
I am having trouble using a sanwa RX with a PPM encoder and the DOSD+ Without the USB to TTL cable to set every input, I am stuck, the automatic feature will not change to sanwa no matter what I do and therefore cannot use the command channel to bring up the menu to change anything...now I have to wait another week for the stupid cable...I would say the DOSD+ does not support sanwa with a PPM encoder at this time and the manual should not say it does...
can you set your dial switch to ch5?
hippojia is offline Find More Posts by hippojia
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Salinas
Joined Nov 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Moretti View Post
I think in your country radio shack is something like an electronics supplier. So you`ll probably find it there
Radio Shack plays at being an electronics supplier, and every so often they actually have what I'm looking for. Most of the time, I order from Jameco or Mouser, just because they're much more likely to be able to supply exactly what I need, instead of just "close".
n5iln is offline Find More Posts by n5iln
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
Hi, where is the best placement for a barometric sensor? Am flying a twinstar II. Thank you.
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Sweet! Thanks Van. Seriously dude, you should charge for your prompt service. That, or DL should sponsor you for the amount of help you dish out on the forums. Seems like every time I have a question, you've got an answer inside of 5 minutes, and it's hugely appreciated! I need to treat you to dinner or something to say thanks. Next time I'm in your area, (or you're in mine) it's on me.
Gee, (blushing), thanks. I'm only trying to help out and share what I've learned from those that responded back to my questions when I got started on this stuff. As for dinner...thanks, but not necessary. Now if you'd like to send my that nice, shinny, GoPro V2...then I'll TAKE IT!!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:

Where does one find clip-on ferrites? Is that a Radio Shack item, or something I gotta get online?

Thanks for the help guys.
I've read clip on ferrites don't work as well as the donut type. I scavanged some torroids off old electronic boards. Radio Shack...about the only thing they're good for any more is some resistors...anything else...good luck. Ones like these will work: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/search.ph...=search&page=1 . Mine are about the 13mm/.5" size. As for needing longer wires after wrapping...I just installed wire extension to the length needed after wrapping the leads as many times as possible through the torroid. Place torroids as close as possible to the end item, GPS, camera, VTx, servo, etc... The more wraps the better...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets View Post
Hi, where is the best placement for a barometric sensor? Am flying a twinstar II. Thank you.
Anywhere where it won't get airflow over it. Moving air over the sensor will affect the 'air pressure' and affect the reading. Also placing the sensor in some foam is good to help reduce any airflow over it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
I'm going to be in Melbourne for a few days so if I don't respond - it's probably because I don't have an Internet connection.

Daniel
You lucky dog. The wife and I visited Melbourne some 13+ years ago. LOVED IT....want to go back. We also liked Singapore, it's a 'fine' place... Anyone who's been to Singapore will understand the 'fine' joke! Travel safe and see you when you return.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy654 View Post
I doubt the Sanwa Rx is the issue. These things just put out a PWM pulse and the encoder just puts the PWM from the different channels into one single, serial data stream. The problem is probably getting/figuring out what switch/know/slider your channel 5 is on..usually the gear switch...and then you may have to adjust the end points of the switch to get it to activate the menu. Without a doubt, this is probably the worst part in getting the system set up. Once done the rest is much easier. The FTDI connection is the easiest way to do it.

As for the radio selection type. The DOSD is trying to figure out what type of radio it's connected to by the type of signals it's getting. I was using a MPX Evo with a Spektrum Rf module on mine at first. I ended up having to manually set my radio type to 'custom' to keep the DOSD from reassigning some of my 'basic flight control' input assignments.

In all, I think you're just going through the learning curve/pains we've all dealt with when learning how to initialize/setup an OSD. These things have to be made to work with as many radios as possible so there are little nuances that have to be worked around to get them to work with your particular system. Sorry to hear your frustration, but I'm sure you'll be very happy with the DOSD once you got things going. I know I LOVE mine and wouldn't trade it for anyone elses...but I would sell it for one, no, two million U.S. dollars!!!!

Last thing. No the DOSD is not perfect...nor is anyone else's system. Feel free to ask questions and advice here as there's lots of folks willing to help out.
RCG Plus Member