HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
ghost2212,

1. put a toroid on the GPS cable near to the GPS
2. try a more open area - GPS needs to see satellites on all sides of the sky for a good lock
3. leave it there longer if it is the first time

In that order.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:28 AM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Kris,

I believe your Baro post only refers to the one from Andrejk. I also believe he has since updated his baro so the D1 issue is not an issue any more. I'm going to guess you had an older senser and not a newer one.

I have a DIYDrones/Sparkfun Baro and I did have to remove a couple of resistors on it. It's worked well for me. I think just about any baro is going to be more accurate than GPS altitude. I don't believe GPS was really designed with exact altitude calculating in mind...or at least not the 'civilian/hobbies' type GPS units.
I just received 2 last week (7-30), with diode intact. The GPS gives a very accurate ASL reading on the ground, but tends to wander once in flight. The Baro will be more consistent once in the air, and react more quickly ..

KrisW
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:30 AM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
So yesterday I set up the Dragon osd v2 on the bench with the ppm encoder and everything plugged in . I left it for 15 minutes with the GPS pointing up through a velux window in our loft but it didnt even get 1 satelite.

Is there a problem or?

Thanks

Brett
It helps to get the antenna out in the open, about 3-5 feet off the ground, so it can lock onto satellites on the horizon, as well as those directly overhead. usually there is a lot of interference inside a structure, so outside, away from trees, cars, and buildings, will give you the best result.

KrisW
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:50 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Could anyone suggest a possible reason why my DOSD might reset everything to default between flights?

I had 2 flights on Sunday. The first went perfectly, then I changed flying sites for the second flight which was on a different flight battery, and about half an hour after the first.

But when I switched on I noticed my display had gone back to default, compass mode, edge offsets, everything. Thought nothing of it until I got a phone call during the flight. This often happens, and I simply switch on RTH and take the call. Unfortunately all my settings were wrong and RTH worked in reverse sending me spiralling down

I managed to quickly save the plane, but what might cause this resetting to default? I need to start setting everything back up now but I'm nervous it may happen again!
Husky2000 is offline Find More Posts by Husky2000
Last edited by Husky2000; Sep 08, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:53 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky2000 View Post
Hi Chaps,

Could anyone suggest a possible reason reason why my DOSD might reset everything to default between flights?

I had 2 flights on Sunday. The first went perfectly, then I changed flying sites for the second flight which was on a different flight battery, and about half an hour after the first.

But when I switched on I noticed my display had gone back to default, compass mode, edge offsets, everything. Thought nothing of it until I got a phone call during the flight. This often happens, and I simply switch on RTH and take the call. Unfortunately all my settings were wrong and RTH worked in reverse sending me spiralling down

I managed to quickly save the plane, but what might cause this resetting to default? I need to start setting everything back up now but I'm nervous it may happen again!
I take it you saved your setting before powering the board down. You have to manually save after each change before disconnecting power or it reverts back to what was previously saved. Other then that I am not sure.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:59 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
I take it you saved your setting before powering the board down. You have to manually save after each change before disconnecting power or it reverts back to what was previously saved. Other then that I am not sure.
No settings were changed during the first flight so nothing to save. To be honest I've used the OSD for months without changing anything, ever since I got it set up to my liking earlier this year.

Thanks for your suggestion though
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:35 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chaps,

Could anyone suggest a possible reason why my DOSD might reset everything to default between flights?

How do you change the edge offsets btw?

Thanks

Brett
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:41 PM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chaps,

More Gremlins. . . .

KrisW
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:51 PM
I Love Tea!
North East England
Joined Oct 2009
987 Posts
Quote:
How do you change the edge offsets btw?

Thanks

Brett
In the calibration menu, fiddle about with "Safe Zone X" and "Safe Zone Y". That should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
More Gremlins. . . .

KrisW
It would seem so yes!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:47 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
ghost2212,

1. put a toroid on the GPS cable near to the GPS
2. try a more open area - GPS needs to see satellites on all sides of the sky for a good lock
3. leave it there longer if it is the first time

In that order.

Daniel
It now in the garden trying to get satelites. Should the GPS rate be 0 when it has 0 satelites and should it be an mtk gps? it was purchased from foxtechfpv
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:58 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
It now in the garden trying to get satelites. Should the GPS rate be 0 when it has 0 satelites and should it be an mtk gps? it was purchased from foxtechfpv
Scratch that

I got a lock pretty quickly and is working fine

thanks for the help

Brett
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:47 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
To Daniel Wee or anyone else that can comment... If I have a damaged DOSD, is there any kind of a repair option for me or is it just a loss and replace kind of thing? I believe I shorted some pins in a crash and now all I get is a very hot OSD and a very dim video transmission with absolutely no onscreen data from the OSD, no matter if I am just booting it up or not. It acts VERY dead, won't even respond to PC Commander anymore. If my only option is to replace it, then I'd like to know as quickly as possible so that I can get down to it.

Thanks!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:17 PM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
To Daniel Wee or anyone else that can comment... If I have a damaged DOSD, is there any kind of a repair option for me or is it just a loss and replace kind of thing? I believe I shorted some pins in a crash and now all I get is a very hot OSD and a very dim video transmission with absolutely no onscreen data from the OSD, no matter if I am just booting it up or not. It acts VERY dead, won't even respond to PC Commander anymore. If my only option is to replace it, then I'd like to know as quickly as possible so that I can get down to it.

Thanks!

Rick NR417
I've asked this about 20 times. . never an answer on getting repairs.

Krisw
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:48 PM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Jan 2011
130 Posts
FY20a or ArduIMU

What are the pros and cons of each? The main thing I want is reliable RTH.

Pete
peatmoss is offline Find More Posts by peatmoss
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
What are the pros and cons of each? The main thing I want is reliable RTH.

Pete
FY20- No integration with DOSD, no AHI, no adjustments in flight, more servo wiring required, must use a spare channel to turn on/off in flight.
ArduIMU-Fully integrates with DOSD via single I2C line, can adjust settings in flight via menu, can provide AHI and turn on/off in flight, must go through download and calibrating process, can turn on/off in flight via menu (reducing stabilization gain to 0 ) or spare channel.

For reliable RTH you need....neither one. The DOSD and GPS alone fly the plane in AP/RTH/Waypoint mode straighter than I do.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member