HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Mar 2010
345 Posts
Anyone used their DOSD with the FY30A IMU Stabilizer?

The DOSD will handle RTH, the FY30A will handle stability.

Any issues?
roypwee is offline Find More Posts by roypwee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:25 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,939 Posts
I'm getting this error message when I start PC Commander. It's version 2.11on Windows 7. Any suggestions?
Tracks is online now Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:27 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roypwee View Post

Any issues?
I use FY20 with DOSD without any issue.
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:35 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roypwee View Post

Any issues?
You shouldn't have any issues. You want to place your FY between the DOSD outputs and the servos. Ensure you set up a way to turn the FY stabilization on/off by your Tx. You want the ability to disconnect if it get's 'lost' and tries to crash your plane. You will get ONLY stabilization out of it. The only device that currently interacts with the DOSD is the ArduIMU. With it you can adjust stabilization gain while in flight as well as turning on/of an Artificial Horizon Indicator.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:43 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Can someone help me?

I'm in the process of starting up the dragon osd for the first time. I'm using a dragonlink in conjunction with this osd. I'm at the point to configure the OSD, everything powers up, I have the PPM signal into the OSD board, but I can't get the screen to display. I have put my Channel 5 on a knob to turn the display on but I turn it the full range, and nothing happens. I know my video transmitter is working but don't get a OSD display. Yes, I have checked my plug connections and my video out is going directly to the video transmitter.

Question, since the PPM signal is coming off the Dragonlink, the channel 5 control signal should be detected by the OSD board correct? Or do I need to connect the channel 5 directly from the dragonlink to osd via a servo wire harness? Any ideas?

Thanks guys, I know I'm close but I'm not doing something correctly. Any ideas would be gratefully appricated,
dave
rvski is offline Find More Posts by rvski
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Unfortunately, yes.
So unless there is a video signal coming from the camera, there won't be any OSD display? My camera is not working, guess I need to resolve that problem first.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:55 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvski View Post
I'm in the process of starting up the dragon osd for the first time. I'm using a dragonlink in conjunction with this osd. I'm at the point to configure the OSD, everything powers up, I have the PPM signal into the OSD board, but I can't get the screen to display. I have put my Channel 5 on a knob to turn the display on but I turn it the full range, and nothing happens. I know my video transmitter is working but don't get a OSD display. Yes, I have checked my plug connections and my video out is going directly to the video transmitter.

Question, since the PPM signal is coming off the Dragonlink, the channel 5 control signal should be detected by the OSD board correct? Or do I need to connect the channel 5 directly from the dragonlink to osd via a servo wire harness? Any ideas?

Thanks guys, I know I'm close but I'm not doing something correctly. Any ideas would be gratefully appricated,
dave
Your PPM connection from the DL Rx to the DOSD is all that's needed. It's possible the DOSD input for the menu is set for something other than channel 5. Have your tried connecting to the DOSD with PC Commander yet? I found it's much easier, especially for initial setup, to us PCC vs using the Tx connection to make changes and setup the system.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
No, I haven't tried that yet. I have the usb serial wiring harness that I purchased when I bought entire setup. I was wondering that, I'm gonna have to give that a try. Is it fairly easy to use?
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:40 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
Does anyone else use a DOSD with ArduIMU on a Skywalker or similar plane? Would you mind sharing your autopilot settings? I was having pretty good luck before the IMU if the weather was nice. I got the IMU to stabilize it in windier conditions mainly. Now I am having problems finding a balance between the plane not wanting to turn or ascend/descend and it trying to oscillate. Sometimes it is like the plane tries to move too far and it hits the attitude limit and bounces against it. I have tried all kinds of attitude limits as well but I don't want to set it so high it can flip over. I am also really having problems getting a gentle descent without it wanting to dive as well. I set everything back to defaults yesterday and was slowly tuning things and it was working better but it started raining so tuning got cut short.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Where in the set up can I find how to change the video from PAL to NTSC? When I go into the commander program, it shows its set for PAL. Nothing on the on screen menu shows where to change that mode.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:30 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvski View Post
Where in the set up can I find how to change the video from PAL to NTSC? When I go into the commander program, it shows its set for PAL. Nothing on the on screen menu shows where to change that mode.
The OSD should detect PAL or NTSC automatically. Are you using NTSC?
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Hmmm, thought it was. I need to check it out.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:44 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
The OSD should detect PAL or NTSC automatically. Are you using NTSC?
You can't adjust that. The DOSD automatically selects PAL or NTSC based on the signal it gets from the camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:48 AM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Apr 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLager View Post
I can't get the on-screen menu to work. I've connected my Chainlink PPM out to the PPM in on the DOSD and assigned Channel 5 on my Turnigy 9X to a knob. Turning the Knob does nothing however. I just get the video feed from the camera with no menu overlay.

Is there anything I'm missing?

EDIT: Figured out that for some reason I'm only getting 2V from the PPM out pins of the Chainlink so it wasn't enough to power the OSD. Connected power from another channel on the Chainlink and it works but now I have another problem where the OSD text is all distorted and I can't tell anything on the screen. Here's a video of me scrolling through the menu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Vzk_IuuQk

You can tell I'm scrolling but you can't read any of it. Disconnected everything but power, PPM input, Video input and output but still have the problem. I also thought I would be able to see the OSD text if I disconnect the Video input but instead I just get black screen.

Any ideas?
Just thought I'd give an update for this incase anyone else has this problem. Turned out it was because the OSD wasn't getting enough voltage. It was getting 5V which I thought would be enough (manual states 4.6V as minimum) but as soon as I connected a 12V power source, the text cleared right up.
JLager is offline Find More Posts by JLager
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:17 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLager View Post
Just thought I'd give an update for this incase anyone else has this problem. Turned out it was because the OSD wasn't getting enough voltage. It was getting 5V which I thought would be enough (manual states 4.6V as minimum) but as soon as I connected a 12V power source, the text cleared right up.
Good news!