HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2010, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
barok,

What kind of GPS module are you using? And what version of firmware? I noticed that you have many satellites detected. Could you try covering the GPS so that less satellites are detected and see if that allows the OSD to go on without resetting?

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Last edited by Daniel Wee; May 02, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,239 Posts
hi daniel.. it is 6.1ver. and gps is LS20033 5 HZ

when its ok, while flying, i find the home arrow pointing away from me(the home or GS)..any thought on this one also..

thanks..
barok is online now Find More Posts by barok
Last edited by barok; May 02, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 02:37 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Sounds great! You're running in PAL mode, right? One thing I'm not clear on about the camera, I thought I read that it does both NTSC and PAL. Does that look to be the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
OK Guys... This camera is fantastic, just switched on running through the DOSD+. Best vid quality I have seen, but I'm comparing it to a KX 141 480 TVL cam.

Word of caution - have a close look at the input connector, on mine, it seems that someone has tried to put the wrong size pins in the plug, with a risk of shorting. I ended up fitting a spare plug I had, plus bespoke vid/ power lead.
ralso Remember this cam needs 12V not 5.

Now for that IMU testing.....
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Old May 02, 2010, 03:08 PM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Hiya Gobig,

Funny you should say that... it is not selectable but mine is PAL by default, I guess because i'm in UK... I don't actually remember asking. The part number for mine is PZ0104 -P where the P must mean PAL.

Daniel/John - IMU V 1.6 F - yes correct baudrate now works. Here is a short clip demonstrating the IMU, although I can't say I'm all that impressed with thequality of my video recording - it was pretty good live, and I have not done any focussing adjustments on the camera yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTVbVccFcJU
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old May 02, 2010, 05:07 PM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
I had a flight today with the latest firmware. tested stabilization
little with autopilot
the ArduIMU wasn't in parallel with airplane, so artificial horizon was not as suppose to be but so far I am happy with it!

Flight video is uploading now, i will post as soon it will be available.
here is my setup

Dragon Labs (0 min 37 sec)

DOSD+ IMU test (2 min 5 sec)
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Last edited by Virgis21; May 02, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 06:24 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
That worked awesome, I might have to re-calibrate my IMU, yours looked to stay more accurate than mine, how long have you let the autopilot run for, was keen to see if it got it back under control.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old May 02, 2010, 07:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
is it me or in most videos the imu always drifts/"de"calibrate somehow at some point, just tracks a little less good. i wonder whats causing that. after a few turns it "comes back". even on those +- stable planes without rolls etc
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old May 02, 2010, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
barok,

Can you try the OSD+GPS unless less sky view so that the GPS won't see so many satellites and let me know if it starts up normally? I need to know this in order to fix this problem.

As for the home being pointed in the wrong direction - I cannot see any problem in the code and all the other users seem to have it working correctly. Can you do more tests and describe the problem in more detail?

jimbob00,

That is the nature of IMUs. The IMU ascertains the attitude using a combination of gyros and accelerometers. The gyros are only good for the very short term due to accumulating biases and drift, and needs to be corrected by the accelerometers. Unfortunately, the accelerometer is only good for the longer term due to it being affected by temporal accelerations. The IMU code tries to decide which to use at all times, and uses them in a kind of combination. The point though is that it is hard to get a perfect estimate of the horizon under dynamic conditions. This is further compounded by vibrations which can impair the accelerometer's ability to correctly measure the gravitational vector.

Ideally, you have a heavily damped, non-vibrating, accurately calibrated accelerometer, and highly stable gyros. In practice, this would be considerably more expensive and in the case of damping, would be heavier as well. So the best we can do is to accurately calibrate the accelerometer, reduce vibrations, and avoid flying long coordinated turns. In fact, the performance of the ArduIMU+ can be further augmented by using GPS data. I will leave that to a later stage though, as right now I am trying to optimize the inertial solutions.

What you will see then, is over time - the horizon will drift, due to the gyro's accumulated error, but whenever the opportunity presents itself (such as when not turning), the accelerometer will correct for the errors and the horizon will improve. This whole balance of which to use and when, is the tweaking process I referred to some posts ago and can be a tedious process. Firmware 1.6f represents both code changes, as well as tweaks I have made while driving a car in circles.

I should also add that temperature will affect the amount of gyro drift and I am not sure that the ArduIMU+ code actually compensates for thermal drift at this point of time. What might be a possible thing to try would be to fly around a bit, and when things have warmed up - to reset everything at operating temperature and fly again. This may help since there is a calibration process at the the booting up stage of the IMU.

Daniel
Old May 02, 2010, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Virgis21,

I forgot to mention - great video! Thanks for posting it. A couple of comments:-

1. I noticed that there was a display problem with the gain in the menu, so I have put out version 6.4 which displays the gain in the correct format and allows more granularity.

2. You probably want to use a lower gain so that the plane doesn't "snap" back to level but goes back more gradually. I'm not sure if that will work better but I suspect that it might.

Again, thanks - I really learn a lot from these videos.

gobigkahuna,

I'm not sure if you noticed - but your tilt indicator feature has already been incorporated for a while. You may want to test it out.

mark,

About the resetting of the level, right now my preference would be to have it mounted correctly but I may look into a software option for this at a later stage. The reason is that there are physical performance benefits from mounting the IMU correctly as opposed to compensating for mounting error in software, albeit this might only be a small performance hit.

Daniel
Old May 02, 2010, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
barok,

Can you try the OSD+GPS unless less sky view so that the GPS won't see so many satellites and let me know if it starts up normally? I need to know this in order to fix this problem.
Daniel
hi daniel...today was a cloudy day, it rained b4 i flew.. i did increase the hdop setting to 2.0, don't remember the default, read here that increasing the number aquires the satelites faster, less wait time..

a short clip of resetting Dosd+
Dosd+ restting.WMV (0 min 33 sec)

couple of pics regarding the gps arrow
Last edited by barok; May 02, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 10:49 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
barok,

Aha - so you're talking about that compass mode. Can you check if the other compass modes point you in the right direction? I must admit that I've not tested the arrow much due to lack of use but I will check it out now. Thanks for the heads up.

More importantly, I need to know about the resetting issue during GPS position acquisition. Is the OSD still resetting upon acquiring a GPS lock? Is there any correlation between the resets and the number of satellites in view?

Daniel
Old May 02, 2010, 11:07 PM
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
187 Posts
Barok, I also experiencing the same problem as you only in compass modes. The DOSD+ keep restarting

Quote:
barok,

Aha - so you're talking about that compass mode. Can you check if the other compass modes point you in the right direction? I must admit that I've not tested the arrow much due to lack of use but I will check it out now. Thanks for the heads up.

More importantly, I need to know about the resetting issue during GPS position acquisition. Is the OSD still resetting upon acquiring a GPS lock? Is there any correlation between the resets and the number of satellites in view?

Daniel
plesk is offline Find More Posts by plesk
Old May 02, 2010, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
plesk,

That's a great clue. Let me check it out.

Can you guys try out version 6.4 and see if this problem is still there?

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; May 02, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 11:51 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,239 Posts
Quote:
barok,

Daniel
ya that what i meant compass arrow... will try other compass mode 2morrow..
as for the re-setting, the Dosd+ will lock for say 5 second then it do that video clip..it takes 5 attemps of unplugging/plugging the CS lipo bat. there's also the wait time 3-5 min. there's about 10 bars...then it cycles-re-sets like the vid. when i do get a lock the osd is fine..3 video today 7, 10, 12 satellite..
hope that help daniel..
Old May 03, 2010, 12:13 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
barok,

Can you try out version 6.4. The compass issue is fixed in there (hopefully). Not sure if the GPS reset issue is also addressed.

Also, in your case, there is no need to increase HDOP valid - that is only necessary if you are getting poor satellite views.

What I would like to know is if it still resets when:-
1. you use the normal compass modes (mode 1 or 2)
2. you use version 6.4 firmware
3. you use all the default settings

Basically I am trying to ascertain if some setting is causing this reset. I just tried a test with all display elements on (but with SAFEZONEX and SAFEZONEY at 0), with the same LS20033 GPS, with compass mode 3, current sensor - the works, in PAL mode. With firmware 6.4 I was unable to get the OSD to reset. However, I only had 5 satellites in view. So maybe you can use that as a reference.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; May 03, 2010 at 12:27 AM.