SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:50 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,599 Posts
Can i use DownloadKML2 to download flight logs from DOSD+?
Julst like the original DOSD?
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,354 Posts
During tests with my MTK GPS it takes about 3 to 5 minutes.
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Yes badlands, pretty well much the same. I'm busy with real life work atm, but hope to test a few other GPS's and record how long it takes to aquire.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Can anyone answer these questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Want to get one of these, but questions:
- does it come with latest firmware or will I need to program it myself?
- will a standard USB to TTL-232 cable work for programming?
(http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?ma...products_id=70)
- will it work with my LS20033 GPS module?
(http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...=16398&cat=250)
- I don't see the current sensor board shown on EagleTree's site - looks like they use a field sensor now? Where can I get one that works with the DSOD?

Thx!
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,444 Posts
For those who have a poorly performing Locosys GPS unit, this mod will probably be VERY effective for you.

I have carried out this mod on 3 units now and it has made a massive difference. Very quick sat aquisition and I never see low sats in the air anymore. Not once since... Even upside down ... : )

BUT
only attempt if you are good at soldering - and desoldering when you bridge the joints. Don't blame me if it gets messed up or stops working !! Oh - and you'll probably ruin any warranty. That said my 2 perform flawlessly and I think Bignose13 will agree that his that was destined for the bin is pretty good now. I was really impressed at the improvement.

Vova produced the picture - all credit to him. just added a little extra on the diagram for clarity.

I hook up my battery and by the time I've put the camera pod in place and turned around I've usaully got 6 sats. Talking 30-60 secs. Occassionally it might take up to 2 minutes, but that is unusual.
I see 2-3 sats more since this mod.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Perfect mod. I am waiting for the same one to arrive very soon! Will try without and with mod it! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. today got ArduIMU sensor, i can't wait to get home and start playing with it!!!
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
For those who have a poorly performing Locosys GPS unit, this mod will probably be VERY effective for you.

I have carried out this mod on 3 units now and it has made a massive difference. Very quick sat aquisition and I never see low sats in the air anymore. Not once since... Even upside down ... : )

BUT
only attempt if you are good at soldering - and desoldering when you bridge the joints. Don't blame me if it gets messed up or stops working !! Oh - and you'll probably ruin any warranty. That said my 2 perform flawlessly and I think Bignose13 will agree that his that was destined for the bin is pretty good now. I was really impressed at the improvement.

Vova produced the picture - all credit to him. just added a little extra on the diagram for clarity.

I hook up my battery and by the time I've put the camera pod in place and turned around I've usaully got 6 sats. Talking 30-60 secs. Occassionally it might take up to 2 minutes, but that is unusual.
I see 2-3 sats more since this mod.
Shikra did a great job on mine and like he said, made a non working gps unit perform brilliantly, never had to wait more than a minute for a lock and get min 6 sats every time I fire it up, mind you, 1 did end up in the bin but that's another story....ahem

Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,641 Posts
Andy W,

The Dragon OSD works with the locosys 20033 GPS, I have used it, although it has no backup battery and can take quite a while to aquire sats sometimes. The mod posted above is great, I am suprised that Locosys made such an obvious mistake on thier board, but they did ! I have switched to the Locosys 20031 because it has a backup battery and aquires almost instantly and has a much bigger ( better performing ) antenna. THe smaller Locosys 20033 has no backup battery, and uses an LNA to compensate for the much smaller antenna, but LNA's have thier limits. The larger antenna on the 20031 seems to work better.

The Dragon OSD come with the latest firmware, John loads them prior to shipping. Daniel is constantly improving and adding features to the OSD, so having the programmer is worth it. Its a USB to serial adapter, easy to set up and works great.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,599 Posts
Locosystech LS20031 (10 HZ) or (5 HZ)? go for the 10hz version?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Guys,

The DragonOSD+ does not use the DownloadKML2 utility. To make use of the log, you will need to do several things:-

1. Enable logging either through the on screen menu or serial terminal. This is done by setting the logging period (in seconds). You can use the SET LOGPERIOD xx command to do this from the serial terminal. xx is a number in seconds indicating the number of seconds between each log.

2. Get a home position lock.

3. You can then list the various logs via the serial terminal, using the SHOWLOGS command.

4. You can download the specific log via the serial terminal using the DUMP xx command where xx is the log number as listed in SHOWLOGS. This will result in a text dump of a KML formatted file which you will need to either capture or cut/paste into a file and name it with a .KML extension. This file can then be opened with GoogleEarth.

5. You can also clear the logs from the on-screen menu or serial terminal.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,599 Posts
Thanks Daniel - i will try that. What would you recommend as a good logging period? 10 seconds?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,599 Posts
Shikra - just tried that Locosys GPS mod - wow it works well. I dont quite get a 2 min fix but it has definately halved my 'setting home' time.

Thanks bud!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
has anyone connected 2 sensors via I2C Peripheral?
i have ArduImu and Barometric altitude sensor. how to connect them?
sorry if it was written somewhere, then i missed that
Thanks~!
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:17 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,599 Posts
I think MikeTheCrash asked how to 'stack' I2C devices so i assume you just parallel them up ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2010, 03:00 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
I think MikeTheCrash asked how to 'stack' I2C devices so i assume you just parallel them up ?
I asked but heard nothing yet. I've got Ardu IMU and airspeed sensor. hope I got the right kind of sensor, it's not obvious (to me!) how to wire it. I got this one http://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-0004-02.htm and the tube set. I'm looking forward to hearing "stall warning! stall warning!"

if you're after the 10Hz LS20031 coolcomponents.co.uk have them. I spotted this after I orderd my 5Hz unfortunately.

I wondered if there is such a thing as a stacking connector for these devices. can't find anything but I might be looking in the wrong places.

Good to have you back Daniel! are you home or still away?

edit: Ha ha i've just seen this is cheaper: http://store.diydrones.com/product_p...v5004dp-01.htm comes with tubes and cable for less
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Apr 28, 2010 at 03:05 PM.