HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:19 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Ask Daniel or others, but I thought I read somebody recommended against it as any voltage drop at all would cause it to reboot. The absolute range is 4.6 to 16V, but I don't think they recommend being at either extreme. Maybe I am wrong.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
scrtsqrl,

The DOSD+ has a switching regulator that actually works to about 4V but because we put in a protective diode (to prevent damage when power supply is reversed), that incurred another 0.8V voltage drop, meaning that the absolute cut-off is around 4.8V or so. 5V is really cutting it close to 4.8V because if there is a sag in your voltage for any reason (say due to servo current draw), the voltage would drop below a safety cutoff voltage, known as a brown-out cutoff. So once the voltage gets too low, it would trigger a system reset because we don't know if data integrity is preserved. So yes, it would work at 5V but your supply had better be rock solid and not sag below 4.8V, even momentarily, or bad things could happen.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:36 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
scrtsqrl,

The DOSD+ has a switching regulator that actually works to about 4V but because we put in a protective diode (to prevent damage when power supply is reversed), that incurred another 0.8V voltage drop, meaning that the absolute cut-off is around 4.8V or so. 5V is really cutting it close to 4.8V because if there is a sag in your voltage for any reason (say due to servo current draw), the voltage would drop below a safety cutoff voltage, known as a brown-out cutoff. So once the voltage gets too low, it would trigger a system reset because we don't know if data integrity is preserved. So yes, it would work at 5V but your supply had better be rock solid and not sag below 4.8V, even momentarily, or bad things could happen.

Daniel
Currently, my DOSD, 5V camera, 5V VTx is powered by their own 5V UBEC. The DragonLink, servos and gyros have their own UBEC.
The 2 X UBEC, and the ESC draw from a single or paralleled 3s Lipo.

It's all buttoned up right now. If you think it is OK, I'll leave it as is. If not, I'll revert back to the jumper as before.

Thank you and welcome back!

scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:45 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
Hi,

just received my DOSD. Already got a Dragonlink.

I have wired everything but can't get into the menu mode.

Radio: Futaba 7c (Detection OK)
GPS OK

When I assign channel 5 to the 3 way switch I get only 2 modes: Normal display and AP disabled.
Same thing when I mix a knob to channel 5. Even when I reset or raise the EPAs.

Other Question: I use a EZ Star without ailerons and want the rudder on the Aileron stick. Will it be compatible with the autopilot feature? Can the autopilot work only with rudder and elevator?

Thanks for your help.
iacei is offline Find More Posts by iacei
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:59 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacei View Post
Hi,

just received my DOSD. Already got a Dragonlink.

I have wired everything but can't get into the menu mode.

Radio: Futaba 7c (Detection OK)
GPS OK

When I assign channel 5 to the 3 way switch I get only 2 modes: Normal display and AP disabled.
Same thing when I mix a knob to channel 5. Even when I reset or raise the EPAs.

Other Question: I use a EZ Star without ailerons and want the rudder on the Aileron stick. Will it be compatible with the autopilot feature? Can the autopilot work only with rudder and elevator?

Thanks for your help.
Normal and AP is at one end of the "servo travel" (for want of a better term) so you need to adjust the endpoint somehow the other way from what you are doing I presume.

Yes, you can use autopilot without ailerons, lots of people do it.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:17 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
Well I will try again this evening but I tested all the servo travel and on a Futaba 7C you cannot choose directly a knob to handle channel 5 you must do a mix or use a switch....

maybe I'll change the settings with the USB programmer.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:22 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacei View Post
Well I will try again this evening but I tested all the servo travel and on a Futaba 7C you cannot choose directly a knob to handle channel 5 you must do a mix or use a switch....

maybe I'll change the settings with the USB programmer.
I don't know the 7c, I use a 9c, I can adjust endpoints from -100 to +100, does the 7c do this? There are guys using the 7c so they will know how to set it up.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:38 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,211 Posts
No on the futaba 7 the knob is for channel 6 only, none assignable, most use the 3 position switch on the left, Assign the switch in parameters menu to ch 5, reverse its function if needed in reverse menu then adjust endpoints in epoint menu to get what you want.

If you require 4 points ( modes ) then you have to assign a switch to a mix, you then set your 3 position switch points to 1st mode ( under 20% ) 2nd mode ( 20 - 60% ) and 3rd mode ( 60 - 90% ), then use a mix on the second switch to take channel 5 to 100% and you have all 4 modes.

Bearing in mind i dont have mine yet, but talking to Badlands thats what he does and i will do with mine
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:59 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Funny you should mention this. I was experimenting with the Hold function. You want your waypoint to 0 AND set your waypoint mode to HOLD...you can set this up before launch. Now while in flight you enter menu, select the Hold position in the main menu (by scrolling down to it an then hitting right aileron)...you won't see anything to indicate the Hold position was set, now whenever you flick to AP mode the plane will head for the HOLD position and circle it until you turn off AP. You'll ALWAYS been in HOLD mode whenever you hit the AP switch. To return to RTH mode you must change the waypoint mode off HOLD. I set mine to 'next' and got RTH back. You'll notice the screen with say either Autopilot <HOLD> or Autopilot <Home> when in AP mode. The key here is setting HOLD for the Waypoint Mode. The small your hit distance the tighter the plane turns to keep in the hold area. I had mine set for 30m and it worked pretty well. Probably 100m or more would give a larger and smoother turn.
Thanks Van, I'll give it a go as soon as the wind drops!
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:39 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
No on the futaba 7 the knob is for channel 6 only, none assignable, most use the 3 position switch on the left, Assign the switch in parameters menu to ch 5, reverse its function if needed in reverse menu then adjust endpoints in epoint menu to get what you want.

If you require 4 points ( modes ) then you have to assign a switch to a mix, you then set your 3 position switch points to 1st mode ( under 20% ) 2nd mode ( 20 - 60% ) and 3rd mode ( 60 - 90% ), then use a mix on the second switch to take channel 5 to 100% and you have all 4 modes.

Bearing in mind i dont have mine yet, but talking to Badlands thats what he does and i will do with mine
Thanks I will give it a shot.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:43 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Daniel,

How was you trip? Any pictures or stories to share? While you were gone there was some discussions between myself, Sqrl, Van, Mark etc about trying to get the compass modes tweaked and a bit standardized. In the interest of optimizing your time it was thought if we could come to consensus we could ask for one small set of changes that were already agreed upon to avoid multiple requests and extra work. The changes basically focus around standardizing the symbols in CM7 and CM8, adding the arrow/heading to CM7 and making both mirrors of each other so CM7 works with Home fixed in center of screen, plane moves (GS reference) and CM8 opposite as plane fixed in center and Home moves (plane reference). Mode 8 almost works like this now, but home moves with heading, not position. Please see the discussions around this post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8025

It was also discovered that the Pan indication is not working in any of the upper compass modes. Tilt works fine. Pan indication is very useful as a quick reference to verify you camera is point straight ahead during landing. Not to take away from other major things you are doing, but if you could add these things to your list of future fixes it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Dave
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Oh yea, one quick technical question. Is it better to adjust the resistance of the video wiring on the camera side (Video in) or transmitter side (Video Out) to get rid of the ghosting from the DOSD+V2 lettering on the screen. Also should you do this with the disable text borders setting to off (ie worst ghosting). What should you be looking for to optimize, lowest resistance value where ghosting disappears? I bought a 20 turn 500ohm pot to do this as the value seems to be somewhere between 100 to 200 ohms.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
[QUOTE=Justin C;17204526]Hi,

I'm new to this thread and was just curious about a couple of things...
2) Does the waypoint function work in all countries?
QUOTE]
The waypoint will work anywhere you have GPS coverage as it's just GPS position coordinates. So you'll need the DOSD with GPS, DOSD Mission Config Editor (free program fro XRacer), a computer with internet access (to get the 'map' and click and point on the coordinates you want for your waypoints, and a TTL/USB device to connect the PC and the DOSD to upload the waypoing mission.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalfm View Post
Ok, now i know why i didnīt found it by using the searchengine

Does this look like incl. diversity?
An antenna tracker shouldn't need diversity as it's goal is to ALWAYS aim the antenna at the plane. Diversity is normally used for stationary antennas that (may) point in a general direction, not necessarily at the plane. There's no reason you couldn't add diversity, but that would require extra equipment you'd have to purchase separately.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:31 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Welcome back Daniel. Hope you had a great 3 weeks off. Can't wait to see what new stuff you've dreamed up for us!!!
RCG Plus Member