HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:23 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,634 Posts
Anything else reccomended to buy from DIY drones besides the ppm encoder?

Don't want to order it then realize I needed something else
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
To John or other electric Guru's out there....

I have another separate thread I just started today where I am getting advice for eliminating some ground loops that I have now in my wiring of my EZ*. After a lot of troubleshooting I am convinced that ground loops are responsible for the grainy video I have been getting. It is not severe, but annoying compared to the great video I see a lot of you guys are getting. Anyway during the conversation the issue of running everything back to a common ground came up. My DOSD+V2 question is...

If I am using the current sensor to power the DOSD+V2 with the jumper, do I need to run a separate ground wire from the Video Block Ground Pin back to a common ground, or can I just use the ground wire already connected via the current sensor? So only the Vin and Vout would connect to the Camera and VTx with all grounds going back to the common point. My common ground point is the deans connector negative directly after the current sensor.

If anybody wants to see drawings of my current set up the thread is here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=7
Everything is already common grounded. Where you might run into problems is if you were running a second battery for video. In that case, you want the ground for the main battery and the video battery to be connected together so everything has a common reference ground...else you'd have a floating ground and would get weird/garbage signals.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:12 PM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
So are you saying that the ground off the current sensor is good enough, and I don't have to run a separate Video Ground? That is what I was hoping for. This ground loop issue has me a bit confused as I am not sure what in my original design led to the ground loops. The only thing I can think of is tying into the camera and VTx grounds at the devices and leading them back to the DOSD+V2 Video ground pin. Also like somebody said earlier any induced voltage from RF in my video shield (which I used for ground) was being routed back through the devices via ground and probably inducing some potential differences.
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Anyone know how to setup ap on and off using a radio without knobs or a 3 way switch?
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
Anyone know how to setup ap on and off using a radio without knobs or a 3 way switch?
Use channel 5 switch (LG) to toggle the AP or main flight screen. If you have another 2-position switch, set a mix on that channel to ch5, so that flipping the switch gives you the menu when you are not in AP mode.
If you have channel 6 on a slider, you can mix it to ch5, and slide it.

What kind of radio are you using?

Kris Welter
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Currently I am using ch 5 to toggle between normal flight mode and menu.

I am using dx6i but by the end of the week I'll be using a jr 6102
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:25 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Anything else recommended to buy from DIY drones besides the ppm encoder?

Don't want to order it then realize I needed something else
barometric pressure sensor
http://store.diydrones.com/product_p...1000d11-01.htm
it is more expensive than one from sparkfun, but accuracy is much better.

Virgis
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:37 AM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
To John or other electric Guru's out there....

I have another separate thread I just started today where I am getting advice for eliminating some ground loops that I have now in my wiring of my EZ*. After a lot of troubleshooting I am convinced that ground loops are responsible for the grainy video I have been getting. It is not severe, but annoying compared to the great video I see a lot of you guys are getting. Anyway during the conversation the issue of running everything back to a common ground came up. My DOSD+V2 question is...

If I am using the current sensor to power the DOSD+V2 with the jumper, do I need to run a separate ground wire from the Video Block Ground Pin back to a common ground, or can I just use the ground wire already connected via the current sensor? So only the Vin and Vout would connect to the Camera and VTx with all grounds going back to the common point. My common ground point is the deans connector negative directly after the current sensor.

If anybody wants to see drawings of my current set up the thread is here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=7
Well, for my two penneth worth I wouldn't use a BEC to power the VTX, unless very heavily filtered you will get noise on the vid. I found the best way is to use a 'mickey' inline filter from flytron direct in the 12V line to feed everything 12V and then use linear for the VTX if its 5 Volts. It has solved an awful lot of problems like GPS lock, general video interference etc.
Only use a switching BEC for your servos, best in my experience. All grounds should ideally go to a single point, ideally Vid and audio to VTX should be screened, then use the screen as power ground.
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:51 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
this worked for me on DX6i:

I have used ch5 (gear switch) for normal/menu switching. I put Mix1 on a switch next to it. Mix 1, when switched on, mixes gear to gear in different amounts according to whether gear is "up" or "down" so when it's switched on I then get display off/autopilot. I nearly wore out the menu button on my DX6i trying to set this up, so here are my settings in case they might be a good starting point for your radio
Gear Travel adjust down 54% up 44%
Mix 1 Gear>Gear down +54% up +35%

I would be interested to know if thesew work for you

cheers

Mike
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:01 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Thank you very much for those settigs. Started to doo that last night but had no idea if it would work. I'll try it and get back to you thanks
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:35 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgis21 View Post
barometric pressure sensor
http://store.diydrones.com/product_p...1000d11-01.htm
it is more expensive than one from sparkfun, but accuracy is much better.

Virgis

This is for temperature?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
O <- this a ground loop
Japan
Joined Nov 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
This is for temperature?
Flyboy,

its the Pressure Sensor SCP1000-D11 Board (I2C)

cheers,

Ren
devfor is offline Find More Posts by devfor
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,634 Posts
I know, but what exactly does that do? To be honest I've got no idea
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
This is for temperature?
This is barometric sensor (has inside temperature sensor too). So connecting this one will give you real barometric (accurate) altitude and temperature. It is better than gps!

Virgis
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Ive been using my EZOSD for a while now and find it great, but recently ive been hearing about people saying great things about the DOSD. With the extra features on board im now giving it serious consideration.

Two things im not clear on are the waypoints.

On the demo the waypoints are picked on the pc and then to the right each have a drop down menu with next, loiter and visit options

What do these functios do ?

The second query is regarding one of the videos of waypoints where the plane nearly reaches it, but then circles to git the exact point. Cant the plane instead be programmed to just fly a straight route, just get to the waypoint ( or within so far ) and then proceed to the next one in a fluid flight ?
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64