HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:56 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
BTW. . how are you guys liking the HeadPlay goggles? I'm going to invest in a set of goggles soon, and this one look like it will do the job.

Kris Welter

They are very nice quality, but the short wire and the liberator is a real PITA!
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:57 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
I read the first 50 pages of the OSD manual and it all makes pretty good sense, only thing I don't get it how come theirs an audio out, but no audio in?

1) Am I supposed to just tie in the audio from the DOSD with the audio from the camera? Would that even work?

2) My VTX and cam are 12V... they will receive their power from the DOSD? Or do I need to have seperate wires going to them?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I want to get this going ASAP. -Tyler
You will power your cam separately. The DOSD connects only to signal in from Camera and signal out to VTx.

Audio is generated from DOSD so, if you are using the variometer, you simply connect the audio wire from your VTx to the DOSD Audio out. No need for ground, since it is shared.

Hope that helps.

scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:01 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
I read the first 50 pages of the OSD manual and it all makes pretty good sense, only thing I don't get it how come theirs an audio out, but no audio in?

1) Am I supposed to just tie in the audio from the DOSD with the audio from the camera? Would that even work?

2) My VTX and cam are 12V... they will receive their power from the DOSD? Or do I need to have seperate wires going to them?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I want to get this going ASAP. -Tyler
There is no Audio in on the DOSD. The DOSD provides some beeps and such for warnings, configuration acknowledgements, etc. You just tie the audio out to your mic out so both get fed into your VTx audio in line. Personally I don't think the audio is really an issue. I've had mine hooked up, but never really heard anything anyway (bad hearing). I've left the DOSD audio out disconnected and just use my mic to provide my audio.

The DOSD does not provide power to your VTx and Camera. You CAN connect the VTx/Camera voltage lines to your DOSD to power the DOSD AND provide the video battery voltage info on screen. If you're only using one battery pack for everything there is no need to connect this line to the OSD. You can just use the current sensor input to the DOSD and power the DOSD via a jumper.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
scrtsqrl,

Great - from here on you just use PCC which will keep your board up to date for you. Probably no need to mess with ds30 Loader. It just happened that you were using a rather old firmware version that PCC did not support.

Vantasstic,

You can actually make the audio louder by changing a resistor value (SMD). It was hard to decide how loud to make it because there were no standards to use as a reference. Each setup may find it too loud, or too soft, so I put a 100k resistor in there. If you change that to 10k, for example, it would be louder. If you're interested, I can point out the resistor for you. You can just solder an additional 10k 0603 right on top of the existing 100k resistor and that should do the trick. Even 1k would work.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
...You can actually make the audio louder by changing a resistor value (SMD). It was hard to decide how loud to make it because there were no standards to use as a reference. Each setup may find it too loud, or too soft, so I put a 100k resistor in there. If you change that to 10k, for example, it would be louder. If you're interested, I can point out the resistor for you. You can just solder an additional 10k 0603 right on top of the existing 100k resistor and that should do the trick. Even 1k would work.

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. Sure, I can do a SMD resistor change (it's good being an electronic repair tech). Just point me to the location.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
It's the resistor directly between the audio pin and the MCU. If you look carefully, you can see the trace connecting the two.

Daniel
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cessna Grand Caravan
Mexico, SON, Ciudad Obregón
Joined Jul 2010
110 Posts
Daniel

Can I use a 2s 7.4V LiPo for the IMU? if so, how much mAh is the IMU comsumption...

Thanks
Ivan Machi is offline Find More Posts by Ivan Machi
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Ivan Machi,

I think 2S will be probably okay. I'm not sure what the consumption is as I haven't measured it. Maybe the ArduIMU site may have some information about this. It won't be more than a few tens of mA. Be aware that if you use anything other than 5V, you will need to use the voltage input marked ">6V" on the board and not the 5V input or you will fry the electronics.

Daniel
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:44 PM
Cessna Grand Caravan
Mexico, SON, Ciudad Obregón
Joined Jul 2010
110 Posts
Daniel

Ok I will take care with that... I would like to use a small battery for ArduIMU and those are smaller (a 320 mAh) than a 5V 4cell...

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...BATTERIES.html

Thanks

Ivan Machi
Ivan Machi is offline Find More Posts by Ivan Machi
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:32 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Compass Mode

Daniel,
Thanks again for your help!

Anyone:

Is there a summary of all 8 compass modes?

Thank you.

scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:50 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Dewds... For the new guys, I've made this little video.

Firmware updating 101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LWkKWZzRA
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:55 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Cralis,

Nicely done. Probably could do away with the board type selector since that can be determined automatically.

Daniel
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:56 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Cralis,

Nicely done. Probably could do away with the board type selector since that can be determined automatically.

Daniel
I could grey it out, but the selection is required for when the person has an older firmware (Pre 16.0, but after the baud rate change), when PC Commander can't connect. In that case, because we can't connect, the user must select the V1/V2.

But I could grey it out if I know it's a V1/V2. Will do that.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:59 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Pity we can't get the channel positions... cause then I could have shown bars showing stick positions... and that would have been handy for a 'Menu selection switch/know' wizard.

But I might make a few more vids about the wizards and other useful thingies.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:59 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgis21 View Post
Welcome back John!
How was yours Holiday?

Virgis
Thanks and holiday was great but glad to be back and working!

Ivan,

7.4 or 11.1 works fine. I've used it with 700mHA 11.1 with no problems.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH