Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:43 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
scrtsqrl,

It is possible that your firmware is so old that it's not supported by PCC. In that case, you may want to try upgrading it using the ds30 Loader procedure.

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67

Daniel
Daniel,
Which hex file do I use?

'bootoader.zip"

or

"DOSD34.zip"

or the newest firmware

"version 16.7"

Thank you for your help and patience.

BTW, I flew the plane today. RTH worked like a champ at a distance...with the plane close in (less than 500') it wandered a bit...not a problem, since at that range the plane is easily visible.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:30 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,413 Posts
Daniel,
I used the file

"OSD engine.hex"

from DOSD165.zip

The ds30 Loader indicated that it sent it down but did not receive anything from the OSD.

I was monitoring the DOSD on my goggles. The entire time, it was looking for satellites. It did not blink, or re-boot. I then unplugged and re-started it. Again it was looking for satellites. Nothing abnormal.

What am I supposed to see next??? LOLS...

I had to stop working for the night...It's now "quiet hours" here...lols...

Thanks again for your help.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jan 04, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:37 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Turbo,

I had the same thing happen and it had nothing to do with the firmware. Are you using the Dragon Link? Nobody had seen my issue with it before, but I definitely confirmed through testing that the long GPS wire was acting like an antenna and picking up unwanted RF interference. I think sometimes we are getting enough background interference where everything works, but if then you get a cloudy day, where the satelites are low in the sky, poof, the signal is no longer strong enough to overcome the background interference. I could not believe once I moved my GPS and the wire was more curved and vertical how all of a sudden I got 9 satelites literally in 10 seconds and just a few hours earlier I could not get more than two satelites an no lock in hours. All I can tell you is assume 100% it is interference from something and then begin to troubleshoot to isolate and you will most likely find it. Also I have found that with the thick servo wire I am using and the small toroids, I can only get 4 wraps around the toroid, which is barely enough I think. Shortening the GPS wire leads may also help, but not sure.
I have a DragonLink on order but have not received it yet. Running a Futaba 10C (2.4GHz) right now. The recent tests were ground tests in my backyard. I powered it up a few hours later tonight and it took 1-2 minutes. *shrug* Gona try and get a flight in tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it goes...
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:18 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Ok folks back from holidays and now a heap load of work on my desk which is all welcomed since vegging out for a week was starting to wear out and I was getting antsy. BTW for those who asked if I have any TTLs for sale, the answer is yes I do and please feel free to email me jmstech1@gmail.com if you need one.
I hope you all had a great holiday!

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:12 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Welcome back John!
How was yours Holiday?

Virgis
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:30 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
TTLs? What's that? Update system?
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:29 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
TTLs? What's that? Update system?
the cable connect PC to DOSD+ (and ArduIMU):
configure, setup, read GPS data (log) and etc..
TTL thats similar to COM.. Daniel will describe exactly what it is

Virgis
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:15 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
I've looked for that GPS compass.. has a short hang up too on the 000 readings
has anybody solved it? it is not a big thing.. but..

Virgis
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
scrtsqrl,

Use the latest hex file. It should load up correctly if you have all the settings in ds30 Loader set right. Just following the instructions and you should see "Searching for bootloader ..." indicating that the PC is trying to connect. At this point, your DOSD+ should be connected and powered up (before the ds30 Loader times out waiting) and if there is no connection something is wrong.

Another easier way to test the connection is to installed a terminal program such as TeraTerm. Open up a session on the COM port of the adapter. Set the baud rate to 115200, 8-bits, No parity, 1-stop bit. Connect it and power the DOSD+ up. If the connection is working, you should see a copy right message on the terminal window. If you see something show up, but it seems garbled - try a baud rate of 38400 (in case the firmware is really old.) If you see the copyright message, then you know you're definitely connecting.

man2000e,

Actually it should not be called TTL. The proper name for the device is a USB to serial-TTL-level adapter. TTL itself stands for Transistor-Transistor-Logic and refers to a specific type of logic protocol. In actual fact it isn't strictly TTL logic, it is CMOS logic levels but which are compatible to TTL levels. CMOS, as you may know, refers to Complementary Metal Oxide Silicon, and is a process used to make certain types of semiconductors. Unlike TTL, it doesn't really specify a logic protocol but due to common use, has become synonymous to certain protocols. Typically, these CMOS levels are broad enough to encompass the TTL definition.

The device in question is really a serial port, sometimes called a COM port (for communications port) because that is how DOS used to name the ports, and Windows kept the legacy nomenclature. The device presents the UART (universal asynchronous receive/transmit) device, to the USB bus. In the past, UARTs were standard peripherals but these have given way to USB. The adapter, therefore, acts as a USB-UART bridge. Depending on the actual device performing the bridging function (such as the FTDI or the CP2102 device), different drivers would need to be supplied to the PC OS to allow it to properly recognize the bridge/adapter.

The output of the UART is sometimes translated to RS-232 (or RS-232C) levels, which defines yet another protocol. However, most of the OSD devices, do not actually need the RS-232 levels, and use the direct TTL/CMOS levels. Thus, we now have a number of bridge adapters which allow such a UART to be connected to the USB bus, presenting itself as a traditional COM port.

This is to say that it is actually incorrect to call this TTL except for colloquial usage.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Virgis21,

That turned out to be a GPS related issue. If you really want to get the GPS re-flashed (which involves sending the unit back to the manufacturer) you can get in touch with John to see what options are available.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:33 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Virgis21,

That turned out to be a GPS related issue. If you really want to get the GPS re-flashed (which involves sending the unit back to the manufacturer) you can get in touch with John to see what options are available.

Daniel
Daniel,

It is not big deal with that issue If I didn't know that, didn't notice at all
I hate windy days.. can't test waypoints for more than 10km away
I love extreme FPV flights

Virgis
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:36 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Well I flew this morning. GPS lock worked great! I didn't time it, but it had already set Home position before I was ready to fly. So, thumbs up for that. By the time I put the goggles on, I was looking at 11 satellites and HDOP of 0.8 with the plane on the ground. In the air, it was pretty constant at 9-10 sats. Awesome.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:43 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,519 Posts
Here is my GPS log of Maiden flight
Name: Maiden.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 75.0 KB
Description:
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:25 AM
Cessna Grand Caravan
Mexico, SON, Ciudad Obregón
Joined Jul 2010
111 Posts
Daniel

Can I use a 2s 7.4V LiPo for the IMU? if so, how much mAh is the IMU comsumption...

Thanks
Ivan Machi is offline Find More Posts by Ivan Machi
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:00 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
PC Commander 2.8 has been uploaded.

I have added PC Commander Download option. So, when PC Commander sees there's a new version available, you can now download it from within PC Commander. The files get downloaded to a folder that you select. You must then close PC Commander and run the setup that you just downloaded.

Actually, you need to uninstall first. Will try resolve that.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis