HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
You guys should know that I am still testing the ArduIMU and changing and tweaking its' code so I'm not yet fully ready to endorse the product even though tests prove quite promising.

One thing to bear in mind is that Mark was flying a profile plane. As such the plane is not experiencing much sustained acceleration (as a normal glider in a bank might, or a circling plane might). Under those conditions, the IMU will not be taxed too much an one would expect it to perform very well. The real test would be in a smooth coordinated turn like JettPilot did.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I still a bit worried to put 12 volts into the arduimu long term as they say it is rated from 6 to 8 volts, in saying that, under voltage is not going to be good either. Maybe I should use 2 cells from my lipo balance plug?
I don't want to fry it, I hate waiting for new parts

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dp669...ns_74388052485

thanks

Mark
Mark what about using one of these connected directly to the IMU?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SWADJ.htm
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Those things are rather noisy and could affect performance. Just be aware of that. See the following:-

http://exposureroom.com/members/Dani...e0874be8251da/

Daniel
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:05 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Daniel,

Good point, and nice video!
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:18 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,528 Posts
If i want to use RSSI on my OSD+ can i get a useful RSSI signal using this with my AR6200?

http://www.flytron.com/57-rssi-conve...receivers.html
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:04 PM
HD Hero Rocks!!!!!!
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2009
174 Posts
Ok guys, I need some clarification. I've read through a good bit of this thread but the information input is choppy.

I've had my Dosd+ sitting around for a while now as I'm waiting on plane parts and for the Dragon Link to come available.
After seeing the video of the Dosd+ in autopilot mode controlling Daniel's easy fly glider, it seems that it wasn't doing a great job.
So do I need to get an IMU (ArduIMU) to supplement the built in autopilot of the Dosd+?? Or will it be sufficient stand alone for an Easy Glider or Flying Wing?

It seems like there will be a sufficient amount of wiring just to hook up the Dosd+ with GPS, sensors and FPV stuff. Now throw in the IMU?? I can't think of any time I've bitten off more than I can chew but this doesn't sound like a walk in the park.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone into electrical engineering instead of mechanical.
Wadsworth is offline Find More Posts by Wadsworth
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:23 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
If i want to use RSSI on my OSD+ can i get a useful RSSI signal using this with my AR6200?

http://www.flytron.com/57-rssi-conve...receivers.html
From reading the thread about them they use the data port of the newer ar7000 and the ar9000 spektrum receivers, I have one ordered so I will let you know when it arrives. I am almost certain they don't work with ar6200 and lower channel receivers, wish they did

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Wadsworth,

The glider was using the older DragonOSD, not DragonOSD+. Also, the glider wasn't trimmed for autopilot yet. I was testing the DL so I didn't really set the autopilot up. Having said that, I do suggest you read up more about autopilots and self-stabilizing planes. There are obviously some constraints when you do not have active stabilization.

If you meet the constraints, then the autopilot should work without additional stabilization. The following video shows the DragonOSD (NOT the DOSD+) autopilot in action without additional stabilization:-

Misty Morning (4 min 30 sec)

I should also mention that the IMU is in the testing stage and I have not enabled stabilization in the code as yet. You can however see how the autopilot works on the DOSD+ (note that the video incorrectly calls it DragonOSD, it should be DragonOSD+) with co-pilot stabilization on JettPilot's video (4:47 onwards):-

FPV Plane FPV (9 min 21 sec)

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 16, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
HD Hero Rocks!!!!!!
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2009
174 Posts
Which co-pilot is used in that video?
Wadsworth is offline Find More Posts by Wadsworth
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
There is only one Co-Pilot - the "FMA Co-Pilot".

Daniel
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:41 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
DOSD+ Flight, version 1.6f IMU, strong wind, out of control for the whole flight, I don't know if you will be able to tell if it'sbetter or not. Just fitted current sensor and now it seems under powered, coincidence?, will fly again without it and see what happens.

DOSD+ 1.6f firmware (4 min 22 sec)

Mark
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

I'm afraid I can't really tell much from the video - it was all over the place. Can you describe your flight pattern? Are you flying this as a normal plane or as a profile plane (like a helicopter, with less forward motion and more "hover")? It certainly does not look like normal aerodynamic flight.

Which way is your camera pointed?

I think the excessive movement may also have saturated the gyros at some point.

Daniel
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:59 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Same plane as the last video, extra 300 foamy. Could not get much speed up, seemed under powered, I think it was tail heavy but all I changed was added the current sensor and that is forward of cog. I know it is terrible video but I put it up just in case it was useful. Tonight I will put the gear in my funjet (hobbyking) which flies happily in any wind.

Mark
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

Thanks for the tests. You may want to compare 1.6e and 1.6f in the funjet - which will be a pretty severe test give that it is a fast flyer. I do not know how well 1.6f will work but it has some very aggressive tweaks and heavily leans towards gyro inputs - maybe too heavily, I don't know. The answer may lie somewhere in between 1.6e and 1.6f.

Daniel
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:39 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Hi Daniel, with elevon mixing for the funjet I have a problem in the menu. If I move the cursor down it changes the menu item that it is on as well as moving down. If I move aileron across to select a submenu or change an item it goes down as well, i presume because of mixing. Is there an easy way around this?

Thanks

Mark