SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:30 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
thanks, that is useful for me as I'm trying to make the DX7 run a dragon link - at the moment it won't even be a "trainer" for my DX6i or an old JR Max66, though I've yet to try it with a mono jack cable. just going to try that now to see if it makes a difference...

I take it the center line is 0v?
I think the DX7 problem with the dragonlink is the small peak to peak voltage difference after seeing what voltage difference you need to make the DOSD+ work. Daniel got me to put a 10k resistor between 5volts and the ppm stream which raised the voltage but not the peak to peak difference. I put a n1005 diode in series with the ppm stream which raised peak to peak about half a volt but was still not enough, then I gave up and ordered the 8 channel ppm encoder but I dont think that will help you

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
thanks, that is useful for me as I'm trying to make the DX7 run a dragon link - at the moment it won't even be a "trainer" for my DX6i or an old JR Max66, though I've yet to try it with a mono jack cable. just going to try that now to see if it makes a difference...

I take it the center line is 0v?
yeah, its an audio signal thats why you have up/down signals but the dx7 only cares about the down signal afaik. i generate it to use the DX7 as a master (and computer is a buddy) to control planes via joystick for example. the only issue is that it's not ultra precise for capturing and measuring timings (audio input line is not as good as the audio output line).
Actually i just extracted the code and indeed, the frame is 22.0ms not 22.5 as i had initially measured in the screenshot.
using 22.5ms (which is standard i believe? i might be wrong, didn't see a lot of info about PPM) is going to make ur throttle channel work (but unable to go full throttle probably) and further channels are going to have a bigger offset and be erratic.

The rest of the screenshot is correct i think.

That's the DX7 PPM that works 100% properly for me (not using double re-sampling here for the sake of simplicity, if someone had been reading my previous posts in other threads):

Quote:
public byte[] GenPPM()
{
frame.Clear();
//PPM "Stop/Start"
try
{
frame.AddRange(Enumerable.Repeat((short)-Amplitude, (int)(4 * microsec * channels)));
}
catch { }

//channels
lock (channels_lock)
{
foreach (int i in PPMchannels.Keys)
{
try
{
//PPM base
frame.AddRange(Enumerable.Repeat(Amplitude, (int)(7 * microsec * channels)));
//PPM Signal
frame.AddRange(Enumerable.Repeat(Amplitude, (int)((PPMchannels[i] * 0.75 / 100) * 10 * microsec * channels)));
//PPM Signal end
frame.AddRange(Enumerable.Repeat((short)-Amplitude, (int)(4 * microsec * channels)));
}
catch { }
}
}

//Complete the PPM signal with leading blank
frame.InsertRange(0, new short[(PPMSamples - frame.Count)]);

var data = new List<byte>();
try
{
foreach (short dp in frame)
data.AddRange(System.BitConverter.GetBytes(dp));
} catch {
}
return data.ToArray();
}

public void PlayPPM(IntPtr win)
{
Rate = 192000; //44100 on cheapo, 96000 on AC97, 192000 on HD Audio
channels = 2;
PPMSamples = (int)(0.0220 * Rate*channels); // 22 or 22.5ms in samples, rounded up
microsec = Rate/10000.0; // 192 = 1ms, 19.2 = 0.1ms or 1mis @ 192khz
PPMchannels = new Dictionary<int, double>();
frame = new List<short>();
Amplitude = 32760;

//Set channels to neutral except throttle, to zero.
PPMchannels.Add(1, 0.0); //Throttle
PPMchannels.Add(2, 50.0); //Ailerons
PPMchannels.Add(3, 50.0); //Stab
PPMchannels.Add(4, 50.0); //Rudder
PPMchannels.Add(5, 50.0);
PPMchannels.Add(6, 50.0);
PPMchannels.Add(7, 50.0);
PPMchannels.Add(8, 50.0);

byte [] data = GenPPM();
[........]
}
Important part here being:
Quote:
PPMSamples = (int)(0.0220 * Rate*channels);
which is the 22ms frame
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:41 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, But I have a DX6i and just curious if i could get all 4 Transmitter options through mixing.

This was said earlier;

"Now.... I also have a DX6i and I think ch5. is on the gear switch.

What you need to do is go into the travel menu for the gear channel, and with everything powered up....

Flip the switch on the gear channel towards you and if travel shows 100% slowly reduce the travel until the menu appears.

If travel shows 0%..... then slowly increase the travel. The menu should show up at some point.

Don't be afraid to play around with the travels.... you can't hurt anything and a reset will get it back to normal if you get lost...

Basically play around with the travel end points on the gear channel until something (menu) changes on screen.

Don't forget you can change the travel on BOTH switch positions.

When you get the travels figured out you will only be able to flip between 2 different things..... but there are 4 options....

1. Auto pilot.

2. Main OSD display

3. Settings menu

4. No display

Unfortunately the DX6i does not have any 3 position switches so you will only be able to choose 2 of the above.

By playing around with the travel you should be able to get all 4 to display, just not at the same time without adjusting the travel again.

You could initially set the switch travel to display the OSD flight screen in one position.

And the settings menu in the other switch position.

Then when you have it all configured, change the travel so one sw. pos. shows the flight screen.
And the other sw. pos. what ever you like of the other 3 choices."

Can I just set up mixing with channel 5 and 6 to give me 4 different travel positions in one of the channels, depending on which channel I use, or doesnt this work?

Thanks

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:55 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
mark and docphi,

Okay, try firmware 5.5 and let me know if that works out.

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php...=67&p=780#p780

Edit: Actually, go ahead and use 5.6 instead. That should solve all your problems.

Daniel
Daniel,

I tried FW 5.6 and 5.7 and it didn't help. Interestingly, the PPM stream does not change with the ESC plugged or unplugged. I'm going to try a unity buffer as you suggested.
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark hitchman,

Does that mean that 4.6 has cross-channel issues? Can you try 4.9 to see if it has the problem, and also 5.0 to see if it shows up there. Thanks.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:42 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
Hi all,

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, But I have a DX6i and just curious if i could get all 4 Transmitter options through mixing.

This was said earlier;

"Now.... I also have a DX6i and I think ch5. is on the gear switch.

What you need to do is go into the travel menu for the gear channel, and with everything powered up....

Flip the switch on the gear channel towards you and if travel shows 100% slowly reduce the travel until the menu appears.

If travel shows 0%..... then slowly increase the travel. The menu should show up at some point.

Don't be afraid to play around with the travels.... you can't hurt anything and a reset will get it back to normal if you get lost...

Basically play around with the travel end points on the gear channel until something (menu) changes on screen.

Don't forget you can change the travel on BOTH switch positions.

When you get the travels figured out you will only be able to flip between 2 different things..... but there are 4 options....

1. Auto pilot.

2. Main OSD display

3. Settings menu

4. No display

Unfortunately the DX6i does not have any 3 position switches so you will only be able to choose 2 of the above.

By playing around with the travel you should be able to get all 4 to display, just not at the same time without adjusting the travel again.

You could initially set the switch travel to display the OSD flight screen in one position.

And the settings menu in the other switch position.

Then when you have it all configured, change the travel so one sw. pos. shows the flight screen.
And the other sw. pos. what ever you like of the other 3 choices."

Can I just set up mixing with channel 5 and 6 to give me 4 different travel positions in one of the channels, depending on which channel I use, or doesnt this work?

Thanks

Doug
Don't see why not. you could use the "mix" switch to mix ch5>ch5 less 50% or whatever was required to reduce the output in such a way as to give you 2 more steps; thus you could have OSD on/off on "gear" then flip "mix" to give you autopilot/menu positions using the gear switch. DX6i mixes have different settings for + and - deflections of the channel either side of zero/centre so this should be cool.

If this didn't work out you might mix 6>5 to use the "flaps" switch for a control position too. but you couln't use ch6 for anything else.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Apr 13, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

Can you try the attached file - this is a beta version with the earlier PPM validation and glitch rejection code all removed.

Also, can you post your settings for Output 1 and 2 that you use to create the cross-channel issue. I cannot seem to re-create it.

docphi,

Most op-amp packages contain two or more amps. You can make two buffers, one for RSSI and one for PPM, if you like.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 13, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:59 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
dosd58beta = no control of menu or anything
4.9 = everything working
5.0 = No outputs on 1 and 2

Thanks

Mark
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:01 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
I used
output 1 = ail1
output 2 = elev
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
I had a minor bug in the 5.8BETA. Attaching a different file now.

Daniel
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
How can I do the firmware upgrade with the Flytron USB programmer? Do I have to change some of the settings in this guide? http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67

what do I need to connect to do the firmware upgrade?
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
18 Posts
I bought 1, and it is on the way shipping across the ocean
pwk1983 is offline Find More Posts by pwk1983
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Capy-Norway,

You should follow the guide as far as possible. If you have problems, post here or PM me. We'll get you through it.

pwk1983,

Thanks!

Daniel
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:21 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
5.8beta looks good, no faults that I can find for DX7 radio with 8 channel ppm encoder. I am going to put into a plane now and see what happens, thanks Daniel

Mark
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

Hang on there a bit. Let me try another one with you - I really want to know what's causing the problem. Try the attached.

Daniel