HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

The PPM stream looks okay. I'm wondering how you tapped the PPM from your receiver? Also trying to think if a buffer could help. Something like the ones used for RSSI. Do you happen to have a spare op-amp lying around?

actually, I must say that the PPM trace looks normal - it didn't look like it was degraded. Something very fishy is going on here.

Can you try this:-

1. Disconnect the PPM line from the OSD
2. Power up the RX and OSD
3. Verify that your throttle is working (also see if the other channels, say a servo on the elevator works)
4. Connect the PPM line
5. See if the throttle still works (and also the servo on the elevator)

You also did not specify if adding the resistor (while disabling the OSD menu) did anything to improve the situation with the throttle control. Can you elaborate on that part?

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
docphi,

The PPM stream looks okay. I'm wondering how you tapped the PPM from your receiver? Also trying to think if a buffer could help. Something like the ones used for RSSI. Do you happen to have a spare op-amp lying around?

actually, I must say that the PPM trace looks normal - it didn't look like it was degraded. Something very fishy is going on here.

Can you try this:-

1. Disconnect the PPM line from the OSD
2. Power up the RX and OSD
3. Verify that your throttle is working (also see if the other channels, say a servo on the elevator works)
4. Connect the PPM line
5. See if the throttle still works (and also the servo on the elevator)

You also did not specify if adding the resistor (while disabling the OSD menu) did anything to improve the situation with the throttle control. Can you elaborate on that part?

Daniel

Daniel,

Throttle (and elevator servo) works without PPM line plugged into OSD. As soon as the PPM line is plugged in, the throttle overlays to the aileron channel (elevator servo still works on the receiver end). Adding a resistor did not help the throttle situation.

I do have opamps lying around if needed.

PPM stream was tapped as described here:

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Image:FAST7ch.jpg
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

What exactly do you mean when you say "overlays"?

Take a look at this for a unity-gain buffer:-

http://www.fpv-community.com/forum/s...d=3298#pid3298

I find the receiver situation truly baffling but this buffer should do the trick.

Daniel
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
docphi,

What exactly do you mean when you say "overlays"?

Daniel
I mean it moves from throttle stick to aileron stick with the aileron servo still working as connected to receiver (so both throttle and aileron servo is being controlled by the same stick).
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,527 Posts
Has any one configured OSD+ setings for AttoPilot Voltage and Current Sense Breakout?
Maby someone wants to share?

i tried 220, but not enough, i will try recalculate after batteries fully charged.
here is another video. I tried to fly as video will be still good enough. and some low pass, sharp turns and etc, but signal quality was always the best
http://www.vimeo.com/10874877

After this low pass flight, i realized how seriously need barometric sensor. So just came back home, made order ArduIMU and pressure sensors
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Last edited by Virgis21; Apr 12, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Virgis21,

Can you clarify what you mean by "I tried 220, but not enough ..."?

docphi,

That sounds pretty bizarre. Might be interesting to watch the trace on the scope when that happens. Could tell you something about what might be going on there.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 12, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:03 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgis21 View Post
Has any one configured OSD+ setings for AttoPilot Voltage and Current Sense Breakout?
Maby someone wants to share?

i tried 220, but not enough, i will try recalculate after batteries fully charged.
here is another video. I tried to fly as video will be still good enough. and some low pass, sharp turns and etc, but signal quality was always the best
http://www.vimeo.com/10874877

After this low pass flight, i realized how seriously need barometric sensor. So just came back home, made order ArduIMU and pressure sensors
Hey Virgis21,

You are having too much fun now! What is your meaning of the 220? Is it the mAH calibration section in the menu? It should not be that high if so. BTW upgrade the firmware to 5.2 Daniel reuploaded yesterday under same file name.... made the IMU respond pretty well in real time... so fast! I've not had the chance to test this in the air but on the bench... it's awesome!

John

BTW folks.... just a reminder.... 2 more days until I remove the special deal of $99 for Dragon OSD+
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
made the IMU respond pretty well in real time... so fast! I've not had the chance to test this in the air but on the bench... it's awesome!
quick quick air test
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:32 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Do you have to have a gps connected to access the autopilot menu and get the artificial horizon indicator on screen? What is the nv connector for on the gps input connector?

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

The autopilot menu can be accessed at any time but the autopilot function will not kick in unless a GPS module is attached and a home position has been fixed.

As for the artificial horizon, that is a function of the IMU (or magnetic compass) rather than the autopilot or GPS.

The NV on the GPS header stands for "Non-Volatile", referring to the backup battery in some GPS modules. This provides a charging voltage for it. In some GPS modules, this needs to be connected for the GPS to operate (eg. LS20033.)

Daniel
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:19 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,864 Posts
It really would be nice to buy an osd that is plug and play

all the experimenting and testing is just

no soldering, just plug and play

One day that should be possable

i thought that this one was a plug and play

one day hopefully
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:24 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
Thanks Daniel, that will be why gps is not working. I have the ArduIMU+ V2 and the AHI is not on screen when I power up, I have installed the firmware you modified and it looks like it is working when it boots the lights flash and then it settles down with a green and an orange light on.
The other issue I am having is not being able to control any channel apart from throttle from pwm out 1 or 2. I have tried assigning all normal channels in the menu but only throttle will work and it will work on 1 or 2. i am using the 8 Channel PPM Encoder Version 2 from diy drones.

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

A couple of things to note:-

1. update OSD firmware to the latest - 5.3
2. the horizon needs to be turned on - set HORIZONSTYLE to 1 in the menu
3. In some cases, the IMU needs to be powered up a bit earlier than the OSD to be detected

As for assigning channels - can you go into the serial terminal and issue a STATUS command and let me know the results.

Daniel
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,943 Posts
>status
Radio settings
------------
Radio mode is JR
AILCHAN: 2
ELECHAN: 3
RUDDCHAN: 4
THROTTLECHAN: 1
AIL2CHAN: 6
CTRLCHAN: 5
RUDDIR: NOR
ELEDIR: REV
GPS settings
------------
VALIDHDOP: 1.500
MINVALID: 15
ADC settings
------------
VMULT1: 11.170
VMULT2: 11.170
VMULT2: 11.170
IMULT: 32.500
MAHMULT: 1.354
CURROFFSET: 0.000
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:45 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
mark,

So you're saying that when you set Output 1 to "THRO" it works but not when it is set to "AIL1" for example? And you tried this when not in the menu mode right?

What are Output 1 and 2 assigned to currently?

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 13, 2010 at 01:52 AM.