Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Virgis21,

In the end a big part of FPV is experimentation, and construction, and making systems work. There is very little that is " Plug and Play " in this hobby, and the more capability we want, the more work we have to do. Thats just a part of our hobby, and I enjoy it

Mike

Mike

Amen brother! I just wish I had more time to play!
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:39 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Virgis21,

Another wonderful video from you!!!

Wobby,

Dragon OSD is selling and folks seem to see this thread and PM/email me no problems... especially those who's English is not their native tongue. Newbies go to the first post and see enough to get the ball rolling.

Website you are correct... I have been working on it for a year but kept getting set back with work load. Officially it will be dragonlabs.net and I will connect Mike's Dragon Link webpage there. Funjet... what can I say... the man is amazing and has a heart of gold!

Vendor: Working on that but I want to make sure all is clear before I decide to release the rest and future OSD to the vendors' hands. But he is a good friend of mine and I want to pave a easy road for him first like I do for all my business partners. If it doesn't go as planned then no prob... I'm doing just fine as is.

If you like to add more or show more concerns, which I have to say you do have some good points, feel free to PM me anytime. You know who I am and where I am for a few years now. I hope you don't get me wrong and do not take what I say in a bad way, it's not intended. I do respect you and what you have contributed to the communty!

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:16 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Daniel,

I checked all connections and made sure they were tight. Everything is connected except RSSI. Here's what I got under load - First image is native stream, then 10K resistor, then 68K resistor. I have no 47K resistors that I can locate. The menu switch stops working with the resistors in place. The servos attached to the PWM connectors don't work with or without the resistors. I'm not sure if a 47K resistor will make a difference.
Last edited by docphi; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:14 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

Here's how the thing works - the DOSD+ takes the PPM-stream from the receiver - translates that into servo outputs and sends that to the PWM1 and PWM2 pins.

So what this means is that if the PPM-input has a problem, the servo is not going to work at PWM1 and PWM2.

As I mentioned before, I don't have a clear understanding of your problem. From what I can tell - PPM kinda works not the servo?

The part I am uncertain is when you say "not working", do you mean:-

1. glitching
2. not responding
3. responding but on the wrong channel
4. other

You should also realize that the OSD attempts to detect your radio-type and when it does, it will set the channel assignments according to the type of radio it thinks you are using. If it mis-detects this, then PWM1 and PWM2 will be mapped to different channels.

This is completely different from DragonOSD in that all the inputs and outputs are soft-mappable. Without a clearer and more precise description of your problem, I am just guessing that it was an overloading issue of the PPM line that was causing problems in your receiver.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:35 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,527 Posts
Please someone tell me what is in the left center?

Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:35 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
That's the glide-scope. It comes into play when you are close to your launch/landing zone and the idea is to keep the marker in the center of the scope while managing your landing speed. This will guide you to a more or less suitable landing approach.

See the following link on how to use a glidescope:-

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/gs.htm

Daniel
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
docphi,

Here's how the thing works - the DOSD+ takes the PPM-stream from the receiver - translates that into servo outputs and sends that to the PWM1 and PWM2 pins.

So what this means is that if the PPM-input has a problem, the servo is not going to work at PWM1 and PWM2.

As I mentioned before, I don't have a clear understanding of your problem. From what I can tell - PPM kinda works not the servo?

The part I am uncertain is when you say "not working", do you mean:-

1. glitching
2. not responding
3. responding but on the wrong channel
4. other

You should also realize that the OSD attempts to detect your radio-type and when it does, it will set the channel assignments according to the type of radio it thinks you are using. If it mis-detects this, then PWM1 and PWM2 will be mapped to different channels.

This is completely different from DragonOSD in that all the inputs and outputs are soft-mappable. Without a clearer and more precise description of your problem, I am just guessing that it was an overloading issue of the PPM line that was causing problems in your receiver.

Daniel

Daniel,

Sorry about the confusion. It's new territory for me. I understand how it's supposed to work. The OSD is detecting a Futaba receiver. I realize it's a PPM issue, however, I am at a loss how to fix it. What's happening is that without the resistor, only the menu switch is responding (only the high end) and the throttle channel is being mapped to the aileron channel and the servos are not responding. The soft mapping function in the OSD does not fix this issue. With a resistor nothing is responding. Again, I agree it's the PPM stream. I just don't know where to go from here.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:59 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

So, if I understand you correctly - we're not really talking about servos not working or glitching etc. We're basically dealing with just the PPM issue, which is the fundamental cause of some of the other symptoms.

You say that the menu switch works. If so - that would suggest that the PPM stream does in fact work.

However, you are finding the throttle being mapped to ailerons. Let me explain how the whole mapping thing works.

When the OSD receives a PPM stream, it contains the information for various channels (in Futaba's case, this may only be a 5-channel PPM stream). As far as the OSD is concerned, it doesn't know which channel has which function. The reason is because different radio systems have different mappings. For example, JR uses channel 1 for throttle whereas Futaba, I think, uses channel 3.

The first stage of mapping, therefore, involves telling the OSD which channel is which. Normally, when no radio type is defined, the OSD will attempt to guess which radio you are using based on the status of the PPM stream at the start. If it succeeds in this, it will assign the channels according to that particular manufacturer's mapping. To take the guesswork out of this, you can manually identify the channels for the OSD. To do this, you would go into the serial terminal mode and issue the following commands:-

SET RADIOMODE FUTABA
SET AILCHAN 1
SET ELECHAN 2
SET THROTTLECHAN 3
SET RUDDCHAN 4
SET CTRLCHAN 5
SAVE

This will identify the various channels in the PPM stream to the OSD. Bear in mind that this is all it does - identify the channels. It does nothing for the output PWM channels. To do that, you need a second level of mapping. This you need to do from within the menu. In the menu under "Custom settings" you will find two entries:-

Output 1
Output 2

Here you can choose which of the above mapped channels to pass through to the PWM1 and PWM2 servo outputs respectively.

Now, when you say that the servos do not respond - it could mean at least 3 things:-

1. PPM stream is not working but this is unlikely since the menu switch appears to respond
2. PPM channels not properly mapped/identified
3. PWM1/2 outputs not properly assigned

Hopefully with this you can understand how the system works and see what might be going wrong with your setup there. Based on what you are saying, it doesn't sound like the PPM isn't work. More likely, the settings just aren't done properly.

Let me know if this still does not make sense.

Daniel
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:27 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Daniel,

I understand how it's supposed to work. The OSD is recognizing the Futaba radio. I have tried reassigning the channels (both from within the OSD menu and from the serial port).

The menu behaves as it should - elevator controls up and down, aileron controls left and right. Reassigning those functions within the menu works. For example, I can change menu left and right to channel 4 (rudder) if I wish.

However, this does not solve the throttle mapping. The throttle is overlaid on top of whatever channel I map it to while the rest of the menu functions (elevator and aileron) are working as they should to control the menu.

Changing the PWM outputs does not work. The servos still do not respond.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:41 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

If the mapping for the other channels work, then almost certain the PPM is working. I will take a look at the code to see if there might be an error somewhere. In the meantime, can you tell me how you think the throttle mapping is not working?

Can you tell me your mappings for:-

THROTTLECHAN
AILCHAN
ELECHAN
CTRLCHAN

Output 1
Output 2

Do you see the message "Radio type FUTABA" or do you see "Detected radio type FUTABA" at the start?

Also, doesn't assigning the Output1 to elevator, for example, work? You do know that the servos do not respond while in menu mode right?

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 12, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Daniel,

I know the throttle mapping isn't working because I have an ESC connected to the system. It arms when it is at zero throttle. If it is assigned to the aileron channel, it will arm if I move the aileron stick to the left. I can't move it to the throttle channel (3) because it is already assigned to that channel in the menu.

To answer your other question, assigning Output1 to elevator (or any other function) does not work.

Lastly, the low end of the menu stick does not trigger (the high end does to get into the menu or assign a clear screen). Changing the channel endpoint does not help.

Thanks!

K
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

I'm afraid it still isn't clear to me what you are doing.

Are you connecting the ESC throttle line to PWM1 or PWM2? Are you doing this merely as a way to testing if the channel is functioning? If not - why do you have the throttle channel connected to the PWM1/2 outputs?

You mentioned that aileron mapping is working? I assume that by this you mean that you have the PWM1 (or PWM2) connected to the ESC throttle line, and you mapped aileron to PWM1 (or PWM2) and when you move the aileron stick to the left, the ESC arms. You take this to indicate that the aileron mapping is working. Yes?

Furthermore, it looks like you then re-mapped the said PWM output to THROTTLE and moved the throttle stick in the same manner as you earlier did the aileron sticks, in the hope of arming the ESC - but this did not work?

You also mention that the "high end of the menu stick". I am not real sure what you mean by this but it sounds like you have a three way switch or a stick assigned to channel 5 (or whatever channel you are using for control). It sounds like you are saying that you are able to configure the "high end" position of this switch or stick to give you the setting that activates the menu. However, you were unable to configure the low end of the stick to do the same? I am not familiar with the particular radio you are using or how the switch or stick can be configure. One easy way would be to temporarily assign a slider/knob to the control channel if possible. That way you can vary the setting for that channel continuously to see if it does activate the various settings.

You mentioned that assigning Output 1 to stuff doesn't work. Does this mean that assigning Output 2 works? Based on what you were saying about moving the aileron sticks and successfully arming the ESC, that sounds like at least one of the PWM outputs are working.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:37 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
"Are you connecting the ESC throttle line to PWM1 or PWM2? Are you doing this merely as a way to testing if the channel is functioning? If not - why do you have the throttle channel connected to the PWM1/2 outputs?"

The ESC throttle line is connected to the receiver. The PWM1/2 outputs have servos attached to them.

"You mentioned that aileron mapping is working? I assume that by this you mean that you have the PWM1 (or PWM2) connected to the ESC throttle line, and you mapped aileron to PWM1 (or PWM2) and when you move the aileron stick to the left, the ESC arms. You take this to indicate that the aileron mapping is working. Yes?"

As stated above, the ESC throttle line is connected to the receiver. The OSD is mapping the throttle to the elevator even though it is set to channel 3 in the menu. In fact, the throttle channel is overlaid on the aileron channel as evidenced by the fact the left-right function in the OSD menu works as it should. Moving the aileron stick to the left arms the throttle. The ESC should work with the throttle stick on the transmitter.

"Furthermore, it looks like you then re-mapped the said PWM output to THROTTLE and moved the throttle stick in the same manner as you earlier did the aileron sticks, in the hope of arming the ESC - but this did not work?"

Again, the ESC is not connected to the OSD.

"You also mention that the "high end of the menu stick". I am not real sure what you mean by this but it sounds like you have a three way switch or a stick assigned to channel 5 (or whatever channel you are using for control). It sounds like you are saying that you are able to configure the "high end" position of this switch or stick to give you the setting that activates the menu. However, you were unable to configure the low end of the stick to do the same? I am not familiar with the particular radio you are using or how the switch or stick can be configure. One easy way would be to temporarily assign a slider/knob to the control channel if possible. That way you can vary the setting for that channel continuously to see if it does activate the various settings."

It is a three way switch with servo travel controlled by "endpoint" settings. An endpoint of 60% will trigger the high end. Switching to a slider/knob does not resolve the issue.

"You mentioned that assigning Output 1 to stuff doesn't work. Does this mean that assigning Output 2 works? Based on what you were saying about moving the aileron sticks and successfully arming the ESC, that sounds like at least one of the PWM outputs are working."

Neither PWM outputs work.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

I am really confused now. In your earlier posting, you said that the throttle mapping was wrong. Are you saying that with the ESC connected to your regular throttle channel on the receiver, the mapping of the throttle is changing?

If so, this should not be possible. The PPM output is a one way thing. The OSD has no way of changing the mapping on the receiver at all. So, if this is what you have:-

RX---->ESC
RXPPM--->DOSD+

Then what I am saying is that it is impossible for the DOSD+ to affect the throttle mapping on the RX because the PPM line is a one way data flow, from the receiver to the OSD and nothing can come back the other way. Whatever mapping I had been talking about is internal to the OSD and to PWM1/2.

As such, all the references to throttle mapping going wrong simply doesn't make sense to me at all. The most likely thing that can happen is that the PPM line to the OSD is loading the receiver so much that there isn't enough signal to output to the ESC (connected directly to the receiver). If so, adding a resistor in the PPM line may reduce the loading sufficiently so that the receiver can output normal servo signals.

Can you also issue a STATUS command in the serial terminal and let me know what the output is.

Daniel

p.s. I am also assuming that your PPM cable is carrying 5V, Ground and PPM to the OSD?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:03 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
"Are you saying that with the ESC connected to your regular throttle channel on the receiver, the mapping of the throttle is changing?"

Yes. That is exactly what is happening.

"The most likely thing that can happen is that the PPM line to the OSD is loading the receiver so much that there isn't enough signal to output to the ESC (connected directly to the receiver). If so, adding a resistor in the PPM line may reduce the loading sufficiently so that the receiver can output normal servo signals."

As noted, I've tried several different resistors without luck. In fact, adding resistors effectively disables the OSD menu. What do you think of the PPM streams in the previous posts?

"I am also assuming that your PPM cable is carrying 5V, Ground and PPM to the OSD?"

That is correct.