HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:34 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I'm about to seal up my Skywalker with DOSD+ and all that in... My worry is I have pyt my 60A ESC in a closed compartment, with air scoops to try keep it cool. Neverthtless - I have a one-battery system... and a current sensor. So it goes Battery->Sensor-> Split to -> ESC and ->Video Tx/Rx.

IF my ESC dies on me, am I right in saying that I would maintain video, and thr DOSD+ would remain powered, but everything behind the ESC would go off... That is, radio Rx... and motor.

It's a Turnigy ESC with BEC.

Would it maybe be a very good idea to get a little Castle Creations BEC? I haven't heard of ESC's going... but maybe the insurance is worth the weight, possible RF and financial penalty?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:41 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,628 Posts
Just like my set-up, if your ESC dies yes u loose rx & control but at least u will see where your plane went!
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:42 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I'm wondering then if I should chuck a small BEC In then... I heard the Castle Creations one is pretty good... and I guess I just split off after the sensor. So, 12V to the ESC, and 12V off to the BEC, and then the BEC into the radio RX?
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:45 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
The Turnigy BECs are fine. a bit of server-chatter is normal, but it should go away after time and certainly not show any movement.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:59 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,628 Posts
Craig - i like keeping my gear to a minimum, dont over complicate things, less to go wrong etc.
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:59 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Cool - if I read you correctly, don't get the BEC... stick with the 60A ESC and I'll be fine? Saved $26!
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:52 PM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Airspeed Sensor

This is my sensor, when the lid is on it will be airtight except for the static pipe (top) to route to an external static port, pitot is lower pipe. Not tested yet.

Box is made from ABS sheet superglued together, the pipes are plastic cotton bud stalks. Bit OTT but have to see how it compares with bare sensor in fuselage
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:53 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Guys,

Regarding the chatter - that's probably the GPS stabilization at work. This happens all the time as long as the GPS stabilization gain is greater than zero. It also happens during menu mode.

magnetman,

There are versions of the Honeywell sensor that are two-ported. You could try those if you need two ports. It might be worth putting the static port in some sponge.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:59 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,491 Posts
I've never noticed servo chatter on my V2...I also don't have any stabilization set (currently).

As for external BECs, I use them on my planes with 4+ servos and $$$ equipment. Castle Creation is good. The cleanest output I've seen is the HobbyWing 5A ESC. Galixiex has a post on BEC testing. I'll have to find it a link it. I'm going to use a HobbyWing one in my SkyWalker.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:01 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Cool - if I read you correctly, don't get the BEC... stick with the 60A ESC and I'll be fine? Saved $26!
that is correct. the 60A Plush ESC is not noisy at all. the 80A one is, though, but once you're using 80A it's safe to assume you'll need a separate BEC anyhow
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:37 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Neat! Thanks Trappy.
The built in BEC is rated to 3A... That should be plenty for Video Tx UHF Rx, 6 servos and an IMU? I'm thinking it will be OK.. Time will tell.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:40 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
that's plenty, yeah. I'm guessing your servos are the mini ones, not standard size & high speed servos. the servos I have in my zeph draw a constant 0.3A each :P so it depends. anyways, the 3A is continuous if I remember correctly, you can burst 6A no problem.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,491 Posts
Crude...posted a didn't save it I guess. Anyway...here's a link of test results on the Hobbywing 5A BEC: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125 . Scroll through the thread and you can see results from other BECs as well. The Hobbywing was the quietest of them all, thus why I got one for my SkyWalker.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:34 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Crude...posted a didn't save it I guess. Anyway...here's a link of test results on the Hobbywing 5A BEC: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125 . Scroll through the thread and you can see results from other BECs as well. The Hobbywing was the quietest of them all, thus why I got one for my SkyWalker.
Haha I have a Skywalker on the way to put my DOSD in, AND yeterday i ordered the hobbywing BEC for that exact reason as well
draron is offline Find More Posts by draron
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,778 Posts
Find a good place to buy the Hobbywing BEC?
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster