It WORKS!

THANKS!
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:04 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Mr westie,

Do let me know if the calibration adjustment for the airspeed sensor works.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Nov 09, 2010, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2010
879 Posts
I need a little help please

I am so close to being operational I can't stand it. I have a Twinstar2 with DOSD+ V2 (firmware 15.0) and everything working great, video is strong and looks good, DL link is strong, and I went to great lengths to prevent noise by using torroids and twisted cables.

The problem is, my HiTec HS-82 servos are all chattering. I originally thought that since my Futaba 9CAP and DragonLink had the dummy antenna on it, that the signal to the receiver was weak and noise was overpowering the receiver. I put on the DL transmitter antenna, got a 100% RSSI and am still getting moderate, continuous chatter on all servos. I don't even know how to troubleshoot this. I have an oscilloscope but the pulses look clean and square. One other minor issue is my audio that piggybacks with the video is full of static. (I have the DPCAV mic).

Any help would be appreciated.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Last edited by thekubiaks; Nov 09, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
thekubiaks: try turning off the UHF transmitter to see if the chatter stops. Some servos are known to chatter in close proximity to UHF transmitters. if that's not the case, then it's probably your video transmitter.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:16 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
I had a fly last night and was not happy with how smooth the plane flew, 3km and back it was twitching a lot, thought it could be wind up higher. I flew around home testing autopilot and still had twitching even though it was dead calm, after 30 minutes flying I landed and picked up the plane to carry it back to the shed and noticed the control surfaces twitching. This is only my third flight with this setup so I thought it must be the vtx, unplugged it and still twitching, unplugged camera, still twitching. I thought maybe it is gps stabilization but that should have no effect without +2km/hr ground speed. I will continue testing, let me know if you find anything.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:33 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,582 Posts
Mark - does your twitching stop when u go into the OSD menu?
Ive had twitching from day one - its very minor & not related to vtx etc.
To me it looks like minor AP corrections but i get it with stabilization & AP off.
It stops if i go into the OSD menu proving it isnt a vtx problem.

Might be the same issue?

I kinda live with it.
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:56 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I had a fly last night and was not happy with how smooth the plane flew, 3km and back it was twitching a lot, thought it could be wind up higher. I flew around home testing autopilot and still had twitching even though it was dead calm, after 30 minutes flying I landed and picked up the plane to carry it back to the shed and noticed the control surfaces twitching. This is only my third flight with this setup so I thought it must be the vtx, unplugged it and still twitching, unplugged camera, still twitching. I thought maybe it is gps stabilization but that should have no effect without +2km/hr ground speed. I will continue testing, let me know if you find anything.

Mark
Mark the twitching is like here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4357 ?
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:37 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
It does it all the time, even in the menu, I will try it with gps stabilization off next time I set up. I observed the plane while I was flying overhead and I was in the menu, it twitched a few times and then I knew it was not the wind.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:38 PM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Mr westie,

Do let me know if the calibration adjustment for the airspeed sensor works.

Daniel
Daniel,

if the airspeed sensor is fitted, does the DOSD default to that rather than GPS speed to control the throttle in AP mode??

Thanks

Richard
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
magnetman,

I think so - I'll have to check. If it doesn't it's quite simple to make it use the airspeed..

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
magnetman,

I think so - I'll have to check. If it doesn't it's quite simple to make it use the airspeed..

Daniel
Great thanks!
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:01 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
It does it all the time, even in the menu, I will try it with gps stabilization off next time I set up. I observed the plane while I was flying overhead and I was in the menu, it twitched a few times and then I knew it was not the wind.

Mark
I have always had servo chatter. I notice that when I do a firmware update, the servos go silent during the update. As soon as the update completes, they start chattering again.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I have always had servo chatter. I notice that when I do a firmware update, the servos go silent during the update. As soon as the update completes, they start chattering again.
I have never seen that on my setup, the only time I have seen it is when doing the servo direction test. I'm on 35MHz JR radio, but my 2.4 VTX is right on the tail end if that helps??

Are you using an unfiltered switching BEC?? could be that
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:18 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
On my DOSD v1 plane I have not noticed chattering, But on the plane with DOSD v2, during the direction test I get severe chattering where you can't really tell which way they are moving during the test.
I haven't noticed otherwise but will do some further testing.

DL both planes if it matters.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
I am so close to being operational I can't stand it. I have a Twinstar2 with DOSD+ V2 (firmware 15.0) and everything working great, video is strong and looks good, DL link is strong, and I went to great lengths to prevent noise by using torroids and twisted cables.

The problem is, my HiTec HS-82 servos are all chattering. I originally thought that since my Futaba 9CAP and DragonLink had the dummy antenna on it, that the signal to the receiver was weak and noise was overpowering the receiver. I put on the DL transmitter antenna, got a 100% RSSI and am still getting moderate, continuous chatter on all servos. I don't even know how to troubleshoot this. I have an oscilloscope but the pulses look clean and square. One other minor issue is my audio that piggybacks with the video is full of static. (I have the DPCAV mic).

Any help would be appreciated.
Trappy, I tried turning off the UHF transmitter as well as the Video transmitter and disconnecting the GPS module, still getting chatter. About the only thing left is the BEC that I got from HobbyKing. It is supposedly an RFI shielded BEC with 10 - 15A capability. On the oscilloscope, the BEC had a pronounced sawtooth pattern but looked clean of extraneous RFI. I think I'll try a 5V battery pack in place of the BEC to see if that eliminates the chatter.

Who makes the cleanest BEC?? Thanks for the replies.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks