HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:22 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,826 Posts
It is a good idea to be able to grey scale the fonts and put all info up ontop of the screen
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:33 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00 View Post
JMS, cool tests on the IMU, once i see your flying video i guess i'll be getting myself the same one (unless theres anything bad in the video of course )
Are trying to make sure I behave? OK the dragonLab girls are out of my videos

Docphi shipping has been very fast and I'm trying my best to make up for the long delays during my time with the Dragon Link project.... learned a lot from that one! Now this product ( and future products ) is/will be machined made by the bunch and ready to ship out. I usually check emails every hour and have stack full of OSD with me at all time.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:48 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
Are trying to make sure I behave? OK the dragonLab girls are out of my videos

Docphi shipping has been very fast and I'm trying my best to make up for the long delays during my time with the Dragon Link project.... learned a lot from that one! Now this product ( and future products ) is/will be machined made by the bunch and ready to ship out. I usually check emails every hour and have stack full of OSD with me at all time.

John
oh, i have the DOSD+ if you remember, i meant to order the same IMU (not from you of course, well unless u start reselling that but i dont think so lol)
dont worry, you can add girls to videos!
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

Can you describe your system a bit more. What kind of receiver are you using? The reason I am asking is because with some receivers, you cannot simply just tap the RSSI and connect it to stuff. A buffer may be required. That's the first thing - if you have RSSI hooked up somehow.

The second thing is that with some receivers, you may need to add a resistor in-line with the PPM-stream tap. The reason is because the tap was not designed to drive any kind of load so adding a 10k or even 47k resistor in-line with it might be necessary. Where this is not done, it may draw the PPM-signal in the receiver down low enough to stop the receiver's servo section from working.

I am a bit confused by your question regarding servos and "Y"-connections. There is "Y"-ing involved. The OSD takes the PPM stream and translates it into a servo output, through the MCU. I hope you are not connecting the PWM outputs to the receiver at all. The only wire that goes from the receiver to the OSD at any time, is the PPM-line (other than RSSI.) Now, these servos draw their power from the receiver (via the PPM cable). The 3-wires that connect the receiver to the DragonOSD+ are 5V, Ground and PPM-data. The 5V and Ground are the power lines and these are passed through to the servos that are connected to PWM1/2. If you don't have ground connected, the servos naturally won't be powered when connected to PWM1/2.

I would also like to know how you are powering the DOSD+ board. I find it very strange that hooking up the ground wire between the receiver can cause some problem although admittedly, I am still unclear of the exact nature of difficulty you are describing. My guess is that your problem is one of the above - relating to either the RSSI and/or the PPM line (needing a resistor).

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:26 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Daniel,

Attached are pics of my setup and scope readings. The first one is the native stream, followed by a 10K resistor and then a 22K resistor. (I have to dig out a 47K resistor from my organized mess.) I don't see any appreciable change in the waveform. The receiver is a Futaba R617FS FASST, RSSI is not connected.
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:34 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,041 Posts
I like the USB Scope !!! That is Sweet.
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
docphi,

A couple of things:-

1. You won't see the change unless the line is loaded. If you want to see the effect, make sure you hook it up to the OSD and have it all powered up. This is a loading issue.

2. I noticed that you have a power line from your battery to your OSD. Since you have the current sensor attached, you can actually dispense with this power wire and replace it with a jumper between the J1 pin and the +ve pin on the power header. That way, it will automatically draw power from the battery connected to the current sensor.

3. Can you try a 47k and tell me if that changes anything?

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:53 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Just saw a post on really cheap GPS's and would like to point this out to everyone to consider this if they haven't purchased one yet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226433

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:08 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
docphi,

A couple of things:-

1. You won't see the change unless the line is loaded. If you want to see the effect, make sure you hook it up to the OSD and have it all powered up. This is a loading issue.

2. I noticed that you have a power line from your battery to your OSD. Since you have the current sensor attached, you can actually dispense with this power wire and replace it with a jumper between the J1 pin and the +ve pin on the power header. That way, it will automatically draw power from the battery connected to the current sensor.

3. Can you try a 47k and tell me if that changes anything?

Daniel

Daniel,

1. The line is under load (at least I think it is, it's hooked up to the OSD). I'll double-check the connections and try again. (Edit: My bad. The ground was loose. Doh! Measurements to follow...)

2. No power line to OSD. It's powered via the current sensor and the jumper is installed (sorry for the lousy iPhone pic).

3. Still looking for the 47K in my mess! LOL!

Thanks!

K
Last edited by docphi; Apr 11, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:11 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I like the USB Scope !!! That is Sweet.
Thanks Jett! What's even sweeter is that it's running via PC emulator software on my Mac. For those of you who are interested, the emulator software is called Sun Virtual Box and it's free!
Last edited by docphi; Apr 11, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funjet2008 View Post
DOSD+... The impact

So the Advertising campaign is underway !

1/ Make your mind up. Is it .COM or .NET , or both
2/ JMTech, JET, Daniel, and of course FunJet, for heavens sake, do you think at least one of you could have a LINK in your profiles that is of some use to someone wishing to purchase DL Products.
3/ VENDORS...is there any ?
4/ List and links to vendors ?
5/ If sales are exclusively via email directly to John, make this clear please.
6/ If there is a product website with online shopping cart, where is the link to it.

FINALLY, you are now really using this forum to sell product, fair enough, but maybe spend the few dollars, and actually become real RCG vendors and have your website linked to your user name.

I tire pretty quickly of playing the Sherlock Holmes game.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:33 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,422 Posts
No, is not a product, rather an experiment, and I feel like a beta tester.
A non paid one, but one who paid to clarify himself. Probably soon will come with a conclusion.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,527 Posts
Here is my short test today. I made first flight with DL and DOSD+ in a very cheap airplane and the oldest camera i have
http://www.vimeo.com/10848059
everything works fine, exept GPS is gathering sats too slow (takes more than 10 minutes)
And as you see, the current sensor isn't calibrated..
Firmware 4.9 (uploaded via PICkit v2, i am still waiting for TTL cable to come )
Can any one tell me, what is in the center left? i can't figure out

Fast setup
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Last edited by Virgis21; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:22 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
11,041 Posts
Virgis21,

What kind of GPS are you using ? I got a GPS with an internal backup battery that aquires in seconds Thanks for posting the video, it looks great, as good as any 400 dollar OSD at a fraction of the price. I really like seeing that 100 % RSSI even when you get out a ways, that is exactly what I would expect from the Dragon Link.

Wobby,

Good suggestion about putting website in my profile, I will do that. I have not looked in my profile for so long I was not really awawre I could do that. There is a cart on the Dragon Link website ! John is making very good progress on the Dragon Labs website also. Being new, we are getting things done, its more work than you would think getting these product to market.

Renatoa,

The Dragon OSD is a new product, but updating the firmware is easy and fast. For the price you will not find anything that comes close to the capability and features of the Dragon OSD. I have firmware currently in use, with no modifications to the board, and for 100 bucks I could use this thing as is forever and be very happy exacly as it is. The fact that Daniel keeps coming up with improvments is just a really big bonus ! But if you dont like the updates, or improvments, just fly with it and enjoy it. There is no requirement to do any of the updates, it works great as is.

In the end a big part of FPV is experimentation, and construction, and making systems work. There is very little that is " Plug and Play " in this hobby, and the more capability we want, the more work we have to do. Thats just a part of our hobby, and I enjoy it

Mike

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,527 Posts
Mike,

GPS from Flytron (for Simpleosd). That's what I was thinking about backup battery..
And you are dam right about this: "Thats just a part of our hobby, and I enjoy it"
Yes, DragonLink gives good "connection" but doesn't like an angle between these 2 antennas (in model and on the ground). as you see i made a turn and RSSI % dropped a little bit, I was standing and holding antenna straight!
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Last edited by Virgis21; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:53 PM.