HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:04 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Menu access

I am having trouble getting into the menu. I have attached the ppm stream entering the dosd+, I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or what to try. I have version 4.9 and control channel set to ch 6 which is a proportional knob on my ff7.

Corona RP8D1 PPM stream (0 min 52 sec)

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:56 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
MikeTheCrash,

What changed? Does the OSD do that with nothing else connected or do you have stuff connected to the OSD? FWIW it doesn't look broken I think. Just start off clean without all the other stuff as sometimes mistakes tend to happen when you have too many wires hooked up or if you've done something too many times and start to get careless.

gobigkahuna,

Yes, fortunately the DragonOSD+ power supply will sustain that kind of voltage for a short while. The DE power supplies can be noisy at times. You just have to make sure the one you are using won't give you noise problems in your video.

mark,

I'm not sure if it's your scope but usually the PPM signal looks like a square wave. Having said that, I think it should work. I assume you set the control channel via the menu? By issuing the following:-

SET CTRLCHAN 6
SAVE

What kind of voltage scale are you using on that scope?

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:39 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
MikeTheCrash,

What changed? Does the OSD do that with nothing else connected or do you have stuff connected to the OSD? FWIW it doesn't look broken I think. Just start off clean without all the other stuff as sometimes mistakes tend to happen when you have too many wires hooked up or if you've done something too many times and start to get careless.
thanks for replying

I tried this morning again to get it all running. I think during the unplugging/plugging etc I may have put the power connector on one pin over, so +v would have recieved gnd, and the power jumper pin (from V sense?) would have got 11.1v. could this have killed it? Incedentally I have disconnected everything I can (only RSSI was being measured until some shipments arrive) to perform these tests.

At this stage I'm stuck as I am unable to tell if the unit is receiving PPM stream from DL without a scope. I guess I can make a jumper from the Tx trainer port direct to OSD PPM in to remove DL from the scenario. would providing just GND and ppm from a trainer socket work?

thanks

Mike
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Apr 06, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Mike,

Okay - I'm getting confused trying to follow the sequence of events now. What I can surmise thus far is:-

1. The problem arose after possible connecting 11V to the wrong point. Yes, generally it's not a good idea to plug it into the wrong place as all kinds of problems can arise.

2. Now that you've removed everything, and power up just the OSD with video and power connected - the display remains cranky?

Is that about right? Maybe you can show me how you've actually connected the board as I'm a little confused when you mention the jumper. Are you using a jumper to power the board off the current sensor?

Daniel
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:16 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

Okay - I'm getting confused trying to follow the sequence of events now. What I can surmise thus far is:-

1. The problem arose after possible connecting 11V to the wrong point. Yes, generally it's not a good idea to plug it into the wrong place as all kinds of problems can arise.

2. Now that you've removed everything, and power up just the OSD with video and power connected - the display remains cranky?

Is that about right? Maybe you can show me how you've actually connected the board as I'm a little confused when you mention the jumper. Are you using a jumper to power the board off the current sensor?

Daniel
exactly

I only mention the jumper pin as I don't know what else to call it - there is no jumper attached, I have been powering OSD from NiCd packs. which gives me an idea - should I check charge? the OSD is showing aprx 5v on screen, is this Rx voltage or OSD supply?

thanks

Mike
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Mike,

If that's the case, you may well have fried something - especially if you put 11V on the pin marked 3.3V which powers the entire board. The board components are rated for 3.3V mostly and one-pin over would put 11V on that bus.

You had the battery connected while doing this? You'll probably have to send it back to me and I'll try to get it fixed for you if possible, for the cost of postage. Or maybe you can get John to send you another one.

Daniel
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:25 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

If that's the case, you may well have fried something - especially if you put 11V on the pin marked 3.3V which powers the entire board. The board components are rated for 3.3V mostly and one-pin over would put 11V on that bus.

You had the battery connected while doing this? You'll probably have to send it back to me and I'll try to get it fixed for you if possible, for the cost of postage. Or maybe you can get John to send you another one.

Daniel
the pin you call "J1" may have received 11.1v. sorry for any confusion; the wiring diagram I made up for myself above is how it will be when the current sense arrives, in the meantime it's powered by nicd pack not jumper. all else is the same. don't think I've touched a 3v3.
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Apr 06, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:07 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
9,565 Posts
Mike,

I was reading about you not being able to get into the menu, and I see you are using channel 6 for control. The default menu control channel is channel 5, if you try to control from channel 6 without changing this option FIRST, you will have no menu. Try getting into the menu using channel 5.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:10 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
9,565 Posts
I flew with the new Dragon OSD all weekend, and it was great ! With each new firmware, things are getting even better. I just cant say how happy I am to have an OSD with full autopilot / RTH Return To Home capability for only 100 dollars I will be posting the videos from this weekend soon, I finally go to do some flying just for fun instead of just testing.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:18 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Firmware Flash Question....

Daniel,

In following the firmware flash update documentation, I have a question:

I set all the options on the ds30 Loader GUI as specified in the screen shots and attempted to flash the firmware to 5.0. All seemed to work properly, but when I cycle the power to the OSD and go back to the terminal program, it still says version 4.3. Your thoughts?

I tried a couple of times, and also tried version 4.9. Same results. Attached are screen captures from the ds30 loader. Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to add I am using a 2s1p 730mah Thunder Power lipo to power the OSD+. I did not see any voltage requirements or constraints listed in the flash documenation, so I thought I would add this information to my description.
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Last edited by RacerX208; Apr 06, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,220 Posts
hey daniel.. ok did the rssi wire mod in my rx hitec6 electron on pin#12 as posted here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3163913 ,,on the Dosd+, i know we omit the center pin use only ground and the rssi wire from pin12.. the servos on my connected to the rx stops working with out it,,,it is fine.. also don't see the rssi in the screen display..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:43 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Mike,

I was reading about you not being able to get into the menu, and I see you are using channel 6 for control. The default menu control channel is channel 5, if you try to control from channel 6 without changing this option FIRST, you will have no menu. Try getting into the menu using channel 5.

Mike
Actually i was trying 5 but i'd be fine with any ch that worked!
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
MikeTheCrash,

Ah, in that case you may be okay. That would be relatively harmless. So is your OSD still showing weirdness now with things connected correctly? Mike, can you show me how exactly you are connecting the PPM from the receiver to the OSD?

RacerX208,

Did you try shutting down the ds30Loader and re-starting it to see if the same problem persists? Is it possible that the message was just a carry over from earlier in the session?

More likely than not, you are flashing the wrong file. Do this - delete ALL the hex files you have, including the zip files and directories. Then download the latest firmware archive and extract it to a new location. Point the loader to it and try again.

barok,

See what I wrote earlier to magnetman about how to turn the RSSI display on.

About the servos not working - most radios (other than the DL) need some kind of buffer for the RSSI signal. These radios do not have a proper RSSI output circuitry and simply tapping it isn't sufficient. You will need something like this:-

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...0&cat=0&page=1

This applies not just to DOSD+ but to most any OSD that takes RSSI as input. You can also try building one yourself if you're handy with electronics:-

http://www.fpv-community.com/forum/s...d=3298#pid3298

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 06, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:41 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
2,926 Posts
Quote:
MikeTheCrash,

So is your OSD still showing weirdness now with things connected correctly? Mike, can you show me how exactly you are connecting the PPM from the receiver to the OSD?
I'll have to wait 'till tonight before I can have another crack at it.

As for the ppm connection, see attached... wouldn't it be cool if I had made a dumb mistake (wouldn't be the first) and there was nothing wrong?!
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
MikeTheCrash,

That looks correct so at least the problem isn't coming from there. So if you just connect power and the video tx right now (and absolutely nothing else), what does the OSD show?

Daniel