HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2010, 12:42 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Is there a list of commands to configure the DOSD+ via serial port? I need to configure the screen to "safezone" and the compass to style "2". Incidentally, I received the SF compass a few minutes ago, hooked it up and -bingo- works like a champ. I'm lovin' this OSD!!!

Also, the compass is apparently capable of pitch / roll info. Any plans to display this in the future?
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 12:56 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2006
1,285 Posts
hello.. another drama.. .... when i use my head tracker using ch.5 (tilt) and ch.6 (pan) (hitec6 rx and fut. 7c tx) even with the display switch (ch.5) not on, when i use the head tracker.. the DOSD+ display menu comes on and off when i tilt (my head) the tracker up and down..

the head tracker .. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10994

any ideas..

thankz..
barok is online now Find More Posts by barok
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
plesk,

I've responded to your PM with the instructions for modding the sensor to be used with the OSD.

gobigkahuna,

Just change "Horizon style" to 1 in the menu options and you should see the results of the accelerometer pitch and roll. Note that this doesn't work very well once you start moving around a bit. The ArduIMU will perform much better in this regard.

I have uploaded version 4.9 with which you can set the safezone parameters from the serial port. The command is in the following format:-

SET SAFEZONEX 22
SET SAFEZONEY 22
SAVE

The valid values are between 0 to 50. The last command saves everything to EEPROM. You can leave that out if you are just playing with the settings.

barok,

This probably means that your head tracker is taking over the control channel. You can either configure your head tracker to NOT use channel 5 or you can configure the OSD to use some other channel as the control channel. The default value is 5 but you can choose another channel. The instructions on how to do this can be found here:-

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:56 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Daniel - I'm not able to access the main menu as I'm not using a radio with this. Any way to change the settings (change the compass style) via a serial connection?

P.S. - I managed to reflash the OSD to use version 4.9 following the instructions on your website... easy peasy. Now my graphics are scaled properly, now I just need to change the compass style.
Last edited by gobigkahuna; Apr 02, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
gobigkahuna,

It isn't clear from your post if you've managed to configure the OSD via the serial but it looks like you might have sorted that out. If not, read the following:-

http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70

Then issue the above commands.

To set the horizon style and compass style:-

SET HORIZONSTYLE 1
SET COMPASSSTYLE 2
SAVE

Horizonstyle should be 0 or 1. You can set it to 2 but that would be the same as setting it to 0 (no display). Likewise the Compassstyle will accept parameters 0 to 4 where 0 represents a no-display condition, ie. no compass. 1 is the default but you can play with the other styles as well. 4 is untested and probably needs some refinement.

Daniel
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:39 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
The problem I'm running into is if I enter either SET HORIZONSTYLE 1 or SET COMPASSSTYLE 2 I get a "unknown parameter" error on the terminal.
I've got firmware version 4.9 and am using Terra Term.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
gobigkahuna,

Try this - download the firmware again (even if you have done it before) and re-flash your OSD with the newly downloaded version. And try it again.

Daniel
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:02 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
THAT FIXED IT! FANTASTIC!!!

I didn't realize why you were telling my to set the horizonstyle until after I set it to 1, holy cow, the compass is driving the artificial horizon!!! This is absolutely perfect. Easy to set up and works exactly as I had hoped. I am a -very- happy customer!!!
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
You're welcome Post some videos.

Daniel
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:14 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Unfortunately I'm a long ways from being able to post a video. The issue with poor video quality will have to be fixed before I put the robot to work. But here's a screen shot from the work bench to prove that it in deed does work.
Last edited by gobigkahuna; Apr 02, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
You should re-start the OSD after making changes from the serial terminal so that you have a clean re-draw.

In the meantime, there's a whole lot more information on the support site that you may also find helpful so you can try going through some of those while waiting for parts.

Daniel
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:41 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Ok, I see what you're talking about. I've updated the photo with the "refreshed" overlay, looks even better!

While I've got your attention and regarding my poor video quality issue, I noticed that the voltage I'm getting to the camera is roughly 10.2 v, but the camera is supposed to have 12 v. Do you think that might be causing my problem? I've got a 12 vdc power supply I will try tomorrow.

Thanks again for your fantastic support and a truely great product!
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
gobigkahuna,

It's hard to say but usually 10.2V isn't a problem for 12V cameras in my experience. In some cases it might actually be better since less heat is generated. You should nevertheless test this.

You do not say what your video problem is? So I can't really offer suggestions without this little piece of info. You will need to furnish a lot more info:-

1. camera type
2. setup description
3. length of video feed, to and from the OSD
4. the nature of the problem you are pointing to

Daniel

p.s. I should add that you can calibrate the OSD voltage readings. If you have an accurate DMM (digital multi-meter), you can measure the actual voltages while connected to the OSD and associated equipment, and then compare that meter reading to what the OSD is displaying. If they don't agree, you can adjust the calibration from inside the on-screen menu. This will ensure that you get the most accurate possible readings on your OSD.
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Apr 02, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 04:07 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
I'll give this a test later tonight or tomorrow.

The video problem isn't an issue with the OSD, it's that I'm getting a lot of signal loss over the long coax to the monitor (over 100' of mini-RG59U). I thought I tested this before and the results were OK, but now that I'm setting things up for a permanent install the video quality is pretty cruddy.

The camera is this one:
http://www.2mcctv.com/product_info-S...EVMN320NH.html

I've got about 12" of lead (unshielded, untwisted 3 leads) to the OSD and then about 100' of mini-RG59U to an "Easy-CAP" USB video capture device and a notebook computer.

I'm using 8x NiMH AAA batteries in series at the moment but will switch to a 12v power supply and test this also.

What I'm doing is not really what the DOSD+ was intended for (an underwater robot) but if I can improve the video signal I'll be set.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 04:23 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
What exactly is wrong with the video signal? What is the exact nature of the deficiency you speak of? Is this shadowing you're getting? Noise? Can you describe the problem?

Daniel