HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:22 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
bracky72,

For the moment, ArduIMU seems like a good candidate. My only concerns lie with the vibration sensitivity of the gyros and how the DCM works as compared to a Kalman filter. Of course, being that this is thus far untested in flight, I hesitate to recommend it yet unless you are keen on experimenting. The price of the IMU seems reasonable. A better IMU is likely to cost considerably more. The one I was working on used the ADXRS610 gyros, which are over USD60 each (and you need two of those) so that will certainly cost more than the ArduIMU.

Mind you, you will need to do a bit of work to get the ArduIMU working with the DragonOSD+. I have modified the code a bit for this to work so you will need to flash the IMU with the said modified firmware. This is done using the same serial-TTL converter that you use to update the firmware of the DragonOSD+, although the pinouts aren't quite the same. Nevertheless, it should be relatively easy to do.

I am now arranging to have the IMU tested in flight to see how well it handles coordinated turns and such. I am also looking to see how else to optimize the IMU performance for our application.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
excellent news to hear progress on the imu
unfortunately, don't have an arduimu either atm

(yeah my post isnt all that helpful i know, just sharing the joy!)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:44 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Well, the ArduIMU is actually the cheapest IMU with attitude output on the market right now so it's hard to do much better than that price-wise. I know it has been used with some success but once you have an AHRS system, you will see things that some stabilization systems don't see. In any case, as long as it works, I think I'm going to be happy.

Daniel
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
tty044,

I think I might have found the reason for the GPS issues you're facing. As it turns out, the MTK firmware seems to have been upgraded a bit over time and there exists several different command specifications. I am in the process of trying to sort this out and will have a firmware to fix it shortly.

If you happen to read this - please try to contact me either via PM or e-mail so that we can set up a Skype call and I can let you try out the purported solution to the problem.

Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Wee; Mar 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2008
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_sky pe_highlighting View Post
Do you have any other GPS to try? I will try to see why it is acting up.

Can you post a photo of your setup. You mentioned that you were using the GlobalTop GPS module - is this the pre-assembled board or are you using the module directly. If so, have you connected anything to the "enable" line of the module?

Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
tty044,

I think I might have found the reason for the GPS issues you're facing. As it turns out, the MTK firmware seems to have been upgraded a bit over time and there exists several different command specifications. I am in the process of trying to sort this out and will have a firmware to fix it shortly.

Daniel
Daniel,
Thank you for your excellent support.
It is good to hear that there would be something that could be improved by firmware. I have MTK that was added to Remzibi's OSD. It is module only and I didnt attach anything to "enable" line in module.

Regards
Michal
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044
Last edited by tty044; Mar 31, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
tty044,

I PM'ed you with my Skype address. Are you able to test the firmware now? I will try to upload it to the support site - if you can, please try it out (4.7) and let me know if it solves your problem with the module. Thanks.

Daniel
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:21 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,863 Posts
Here is a video of the flight testing of the new Dragon OSD !!! This shows the new altitude ladder, although classic Dragon mode is available for those that like less clutter. Also shown is the Autopilot / RTH Return to home function, which worked incredibly well even in 50 KPH winds. The plane was getting thrown all over the place, you can hear the wind gusts hit the plane, but the Dragon OSD and its autopilot worked flawlessly. The GPS used is a LocoSys 20031.

Dont even bother to click on this video here, the quality will be HORRIBLE and you wont be able to read the OSD Click on the title at the top of the video which takes you to YouTube and you can watch it in HD

FPV Plane FPV (9 min 21 sec)

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2008
369 Posts
For the users of MTK from Remzibi OSD - it would be necessary to download firmware 4.7 or newer to use this GPS. Now with new firmware it is working great!
Thank you Daniel for immediate response!
Michal
tty044 is offline Find More Posts by tty044
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
plus vite plus loins
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined Jun 2008
1,487 Posts
deleted
Funjet2008 is offline Find More Posts by Funjet2008
Last edited by Funjet2008; Mar 31, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:30 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tty044 View Post
For the users of MTK from Remzibi OSD - it would be necessary to download firmware 4.7 or newer to use this GPS. Now with new firmware it is working great!
Thank you Daniel for immediate response!
Michal
Seems to feel like the early development on remzibi thread atmoshere
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:07 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Dont even bother to click on this video here, the quality will be HORRIBLE and you wont be able to read the OSD Click on the title at the top of the video which takes you to YouTube and you can watch it in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayNNzvphOic

Mike
Sorry but the intro's a bit much.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Mar 31, 2010, 04:47 PM
plus vite plus loins
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined Jun 2008
1,487 Posts
i will make a full test (video) of DOSD+ next week

Daniel, with Compass Module with Tilt Compensation - HMC6343, do I need reflash DOSD+?
Funjet2008 is offline Find More Posts by Funjet2008
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:02 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
No Funjet. That should work without issues as all the firmware versions support it. Your module looks a little different from mine though. I hope it works the same. However, it's probably a good idea to update to the latest version (4.7) for other improvements.

Daniel
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:02 PM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Daniel - The docs for the HMC6343 are a bit sparse so I'm trying to figure out how it should be wired to the DOSD+. Could you look at the schematic and tell me what I'm missing? Thanks!

Edit - I just need to confirm that if I connect the "3V3" pin to the compass's "VCC" pin I won't burn anything up and it'll work.
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
Last edited by gobigkahuna; Mar 31, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:09 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,863 Posts
I thought the intro was the best part of the video. With marketing like that, John will probably be selling OSD's to people that dont even fly FPV

The only problem is that after I watch the intro, its hard to do anything in the rest of the video that lives up to the funjets intro

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor