SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:00 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Cralis, yup I think I have that set properly. I believe it's says output 1>ail and output 2>elev.
So I am kind of stumped at the moment.
Thanks
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:44 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
vertcnc,

I'm taking photos and making a video to show you how to set this up at this moment. You can test the autopilot in SIM mode on the bench with out actually flying and also play around with various OSD graphical layouts before real flight. I'll try and have it finished and post tonight.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
Daniel, I am continueing to setup the Dosd+ and Dragon Link. With the aileron and elevator servos plugged into the Dosd+ I am unable to control the servos via sticks. They move the menus fine. On your support forum it says this

"Connection point to Dragon Link Receiver. Note this one servo cable must be connected to DL RX channel 9. All servos can stay connected to the DL RX for auto pilot. This method makes a very clean installation in your FPV/UAV platform! "

With the servos connected to the DL they move while the OSD Menu is being accessed.

So I am a little confused on the proper wiring.

I also using the latest firmware and the servo testing within the OSD does not function.

Is there a way to adjust OSD so it fits the screen. Some of the items in the upper left and lower left are off the screen.

Thanks
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:17 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,390 Posts
Hi VERTCNC this is a common misconception, you're right about the site saying you only need one connection to your recieiver but this is misleading; if you want to make autopilot work you MUST connect your autopilot control surfaces to DOSD+ they will not work connected to the receiver. The PPM feed to DOSD+ is a one-way street!

good luck

Mike

HAVING READ THE QUESTION properly, did you know that the surfaces won't move when in menu mode?
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Jul 21, 2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: stupid A, didn't read Q properly
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:18 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
You are right and how the old ways worked was this.... aileron into OSD and aileron out of OSD, rudder in OSD and rudder out of OSD, PPM in OSD. Now we have PPM in OSD and aileron and rudder out of OSD. I will correct the wording of the site to clear things up. Still, it eliminated much of the bird nest of wires and I have a video being uploading now to explain more.
This might help you guys set things up on the bench prior to real flight.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Hi VERTCNC this is a common misconception, you're right about the site saying you only need one connection to your recieiver but this is misleading; if you want to make autopilot work you MUST connect your autopilot control surfaces to DOSD+ they will not work connected to the receiver. The PPM feed to DOSD+ is a one-way street!

good luck

Mike

HAVING READ THE QUESTION properly, did you know that the surfaces won't move when in menu mode?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:27 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Video of basic set up radio, autopilot and flight sim mode for testing Dragon OSD+ prior to actual flight. If I missed something I appologize in advance for I am surviving on 3 to 4hours of sleep 6 days a week.

note: in menu mode (not pc commander) you should run the " servo direction test" hold the ail stick to the right for several seconds until your servos move, let go of your stick and see if your ailerons and elevator are set correctly, if not reverse them in the OSD configurations. this will determine if your autopilot will operate the ailerons and elevators correctly.

John

Dragon OSD+ Basic Autopilot set up (5 min 40 sec)
Last edited by JMSTECH; Jul 21, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
vertcnc,

Coming in a bit late here - others have given good pointers. I just wanted to mentioned that the servos draw power from the receiver via the PPM line so you need to make sure that your PPM line has 3-wires (GND, 5V, PPM) as opposed to just GND and PPM.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Mike,
I tried with the servos to the DOSD+ and also the DL. Servos work normally when connected to DL, but not when connected to the OSD. I was aware that the servos dodn't move when in servo mode.

John, Thanks for the video reviewing it now. How about adding a list of all the menu functions and abbreviations and what they do.

Daniel.
I reviewing my wiring now. I do have a three wires from channel 9 of DL to the PPM IN of the DOSD. I will double check that the connections are good.

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:04 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
Mike,
John, Thanks for the video reviewing it now. How about adding a list of all the menu functions and abbreviations and what they do.
Work in progress now and it is quite extensive.... Daniel just keep adding free features!

John
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:09 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
John,
That Ok, Just thought a spreadsheet or such with the abbreviations Daniel uses and there explanation would help.
DragonLabs ROCKS!!!!!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Daniel, I think that something is wrong with the displayed speed because in full dive the speed is constant or it grows very slow. Please check this video:

speed.mp4 (0 min 14 sec)

Also please check how good the autopilot behaves(the highest point value is not corect, the good value is 716m-- I think that Craig will correct this )--foto1 / foto2

On the peak values from the end of the flight I see that the ALT was 715.8M but in flight I see clear the 716M value for altitude--foto3

The autopilot was activated all the way up and when I reached the "I can't see it" limit I took control, if you want I can post the whole movie.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
kempo,

The speed you see is GPS speed, which is ground speed. When you are diving, you remain over one position, hence the slow speed. If you want true air speed, you're going to have to have use an air speed sensor.

I'll leave Craig to answer the KML file questions. I suspect the altitude difference is due to the map displaying altitude above sea level whereas the OSD is showing altitude above launch point.

As for the GPS error, this happens quite frequently because GPS altitude is not very accurate and will change as the GPS module uses different satellites to compute the altitude. Having a barometric altitude sensor minimizes these types of error.

About your flight, did you have autopilot in "CIRCLE" mode and is the spiral the descent or ascent? It looks so perfect.

Daniel
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:35 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
kempo,

About your flight, did you have autopilot in "CIRCLE" mode and is the spiral the descent or ascent? It looks so perfect.

Daniel
The ascent, I've activated autopilot after few seconds after launch. Circle mode-hit distance 150m. As you can see with the growing of the height the circle became bigger(but not very big: at 715 m the radius was 185) because of the strong wind I suppose.At maximum height - 710m with trottle cut the plane was still climbing.

The only problem is that my human powered track and track antenna is tired after one flight, any news about the Dragon Track and Trace sistem?
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:06 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
kempo,

Nice. Wow, it's good to know that the CIRCLE function works quite well.

As for the tracking system - it's on hold for the moment because I'm working on several projects and I have one that I'm currently working on that's taking a lot of time. We will get there though.

Daniel
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:48 PM
DODOLAND
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Aw man, Anthony!
That's terrible!! Feels very farmiliar though... Does your video look anything like this?

Because look at the end... your plane certaonly does!
I reckon, hot glue that bad boy!
HI cralis,
Thanks for sharing my pain.Nice video, I see we are on the same boat.Yeah I know the rule "WELCOME ON BOARD"..
At least you have the video files,the san disk dvr that i'm using did or did not record the flight.I can see the file but cannot open it.

Anthony.
flight01 is offline Find More Posts by flight01
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
DODOLAND
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
Hi everyone,

Here is the story of my crash:

No video to show because I can't open the files and this is driving me crazy.I see the file on the sd card but it does not want to open,always saying some damm error.This is happening just when you are in need of the video to have a clue of what cause the crash.anyway here is what I remember.
It was quite windy on that day about 15 km winds with gusts of 25 km.So i did the take off normally without any stabilisation, in case of....On the heading to cruise altitude it was quite shaking but flyable.I was able to reach 500 mt height and did some circuits to see if everything was ok.I noticed that the plane was drifting a lot cause of the high wind,so I decided to switch the IMU stabilisation on . 1,2,3 and on 5 settings,this is when the "chicken dance" started,right turn, tip stall ,inverted flight( this when I try to recover) ,then spiral down like hell to mother earth .One wings manage to kiss a power line on the way.
This is the time, when you think you should have stayed home with the kids..
I did not know why the plane acts like that,normally it is quite stable,then after a big thought, I realise that Just before heading for the fields,I have updated my DOSD for the latest update.once on the fields,I have done all the setup for the ground station and checks prior for take off: servos direction,homing, and answering question to some newbie too about FPV.Just when I was about to launch the plane,some other members switch on their 2.4 radio ,causing interference on my video.Turn everything down and waited for my turn.
This is the cause for my pain and crash because I FORGOT and DID NOT SAVE my settings on the DOSD for servos direction before turning it OFF.I was distracted by answering questions and when I have put on the stabilisation during the flight the aileron servos output was on the wrong side.

Yeah I know "I'm STUPID" but at least I know the "chicken dance"..

BTW ,can someone guide me of how I can get the video files back.

Thank god, my electronics are fine,except for the IMU which seems to drift.I have to check it again later.

This is to warn you guys,make sure that you SAVE every change you make BEFORE turning the DOSD off else you will do the chicken dance like me.

Cheers,
Anthony.
flight01 is offline Find More Posts by flight01