SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
CrashingDutchman,

Yes, I believe that will work. The Vss is the same as GND so you just need to hook it up correctly and it should work.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:33 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,192 Posts
Thank you Daniel!
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:35 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Melih,

The OSD already supports ratiometric sensors. It's just that your current sensor is being used in a rather unorthodox manner in which you have a negative coefficient. It is this negative coefficient that is not currently supported because I didn't think it would be a common usage. Most analog sensors have an output that increases with the sensed parameter. In your case, the voltage decreases as the current increases. It is nevertheless quite easy to add this ability. I just want to think through if it would cause any problems for users that's all.

Daniel
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:36 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
I suppose I can allow the user to use negative polarity but this does complicate things a bit for them. If there is enough demand, I will add this ability.

Daniel
I already have 2 of the flytron sensors so it would be handy. Ordering a sparkfun sensor today.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:20 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Well, okay - I've added it into the code but I've not release this current version yet as I am working on some other feature.

Daniel
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:51 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
Awesome.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:48 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,994 Posts
Hey ! It's enough to unsolder deans and reverse them, so reversing the current flow through sensor and the problem is solved
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Renatoa,

It's easy for people who like software and electronics, but for those who don't understand software and/or electronics, it can be very confusing for them.

Daniel
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Canterbury
Joined May 2008
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Hey ! It's enough to unsolder deans and reverse them, so reversing the current flow through sensor and the problem is solved
Sorry it's not
Because it starts from 2.5V and DragonOSD cant read the value after 3.3V on positive mode.
This is why i'm suggesting it for negative usage.
Because all ADC devices supports rail to rail (0 to Vcc) and only stable value is 0 here, VCC different for all systems, this is why producers suggests negative mode. Because 0 to VCC/2 output works with all system between VCC/2 to higher all devices. but if you use positive mode, it just works with only VCC+ devices.

You can use Flytron current sensors with all devices for designed 2.5V or higher.
MelihK is offline Find More Posts by MelihK
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Melih,

I'm not sure I follow your argument. There is no benefit is using negative coefficient sensors if a proper positive one is available. In this case the ACS755 would have worked much better than the ACS754. Besides being positive coefficient, it is also more sensitive - 60mV/A and will give you better sensitivity. On top of that, it's dynamic range will be from 0.6V to 5V whereas the ACS754 in negative mode, you can get 2.5V at the most. You sacrificed dynamic range by using an AC sensor for a DC application. There is no particular advantage I can see in doing this.

I can accept that it is possible to use negative coefficient sensors but to argue that it is a better (or even a normal) approach compared to a properly chosen positive coefficient sensor, I think is just wrong. I suppose we can debate this till kingdom come but that's just my opinion.

Daniel
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:07 PM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
PPM stream from MZK Sexta RX

Folks,

Getting ready to receive my DOSD+!!!

Thought I would share this with you. I have a number of these receivers and found them very reliable. I have found the PPM output, see photo of the underside of the RX with the scope probe on. The Scope pic shows the trace, and I have checked that the pulse widths vary with TX stick input from L to R, Chan 1 on the left. On the reverse side of the board under the xtal, this signal goes to pins 2 and 10 of the PIC chip.

However, there seem to be 8 pulses (see scope pic), I have a 6CH JR X2610TX, does this mean that the last 2 could be used for extra functions??? Interesting.
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,261 Posts
yey.. mine arrived too..
now got 2 figure out this PPM in my rx CC berg7..
magnetman.. can you help pls...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=194

still waiting for my gps and current sensor..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
not bad... the timing it arrived to you that is.

I'm expecting a whole lot of you guys should be receiving their Dragons any day now
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Mar 29, 2010, 03:37 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Renatoa,

It's easy for people who like software and electronics, but for those who don't understand software and/or electronics, it can be very confusing for them.

Daniel
Oh Yes. That's why it'd be so nice if DOSD+ came with GPS and other sensors you could buy that would work as soon as they were plugged in and needed no solder bridges, SMT high temperature solder etc etc. I'm on a steep learning curve here!

just about to order my GPS and sensor from sparkfun

I daresay that DOSD+v2 will come with these options!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:10 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
not bad... the timing it arrived to you that is.

I'm expecting a whole lot of you guys should be receiving their Dragons any day now
You are correct, mine came this morning

Thanks John.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin Y; Mar 29, 2010 at 05:24 PM.