HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Cralis,

I posted about the Honeywell airspeed speed not too long ago. It should be within the last few pages.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2010, 02:39 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
This is the best I can find.

$38...
Not too bad...
But ... that's just a little 'thing'. Is wiring it easy enough? I looked at the data sheet, but got lost. Also, I'd need two pipes right? One that goes to the pitot tube, and another for 'static'?

Would it be plug and play once it's all wired up? Some type of calibration? I already have the barometric/temp sensor on my port...

Actually, seeing your post, it seems it's way too technical for me... so not that plug and play... Damn! Looks like in my case I need to settle for GPS speed.

Would the EagleTree sensor work?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Last edited by Cralis; Jul 16, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:17 AM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
[QUOTE=Cralis;15555264]This is the best I can find.

$38...
Not too bad...
But ... that's just a little 'thing'. Is wiring it easy enough? I looked at the data sheet, but got lost. Also, I'd need two pipes right? One that goes to the pitot tube, and another for 'static'?

OK, some findings... the two port (pitot/static) part number is HSC M RR N 001PD 2A3, same electronics, differential pressure, where the 'STATIC' pipe would connect to one side. Would be more accurate than just using GAUGE and PRESSURE as per part number HSC M RN N 001PG 2A3, because the GAUGE pressure is picking up the ambient pressure inside the fuselage , which will be different to the external (static) pressure. I suppose you could always mount the unit out on the wing with a short pitot pipe, then run the wires along the wing, though.

Min order amount from Farnell is 150, but the more that are ordered the cheaper it gets. Anyone want to set up a group buy?? This is the lady I contacted at Farnell regarding purchase: DLiopa@premierfarnell.com
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Guys,

Some time in the past there were some requests to interface the FMA CPD4 IR sensor to the DOSD+. Now that most of the stuff is done for the DOSD+, I am beginning to consider this. Basically there are two ways in which this can be done - one is to use the existing G.P. input, which requires giving up RSSI - something I don't think people will want.

The second approach involves a small adapter board. The good thing about this board is that it allows the adding of the Z-axis sensor as well. Now, as you know - IR sensors have their limitations (such as not working well in visibility obscured conditions such as cloud/fox, or strong sunlight etc.) As such, I have two questions pertaining to this:-

1. How many of you really want such an option? Ie. the use of a small adapter board (maybe USD20) to interface with the CPD4 (and optionally the Z-axis sensor), bearing in mind the limitations of IR.

2. Would any of you be interested in rolling your own - the circuit is quite simple but I don't know about making the boards myself if the demand is small. I am, nevertheless, willing to work with anyone who wants to roll their own.

3. Would you prefer I work on improving the ArduIMU (there are limits to this), or finding a better IMU (for example, maybe one of the FY-xx devices), or making my own IMU design?

Daniel
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:43 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Aug 2009
2,058 Posts
Hey Daniel,

Do you have an answer to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119 View Post
Has there been any hardware changes to DOSD+ since the early versions or has everything been updated through firmware?
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:44 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,433 Posts
or
4. Provide inputs in V2

I would go with 3, but also consider 2, but not rolling with other, just publish schematics for DIYers.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:48 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,241 Posts
Hi Daniel

Having bought into IMU I would prefer that it were developed of course. I agree the IR system is flawed as it will not work in cloud, and as far as I understand will stop working if you fly past a hill - flying up a valley and back would require all peaks to be symmetrical!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
Renatoa,

Whilst the V2 has some additional ADC inputs, it doesn't have enough for all X, Y and Z sensors. Personally I think USD20 is nothing to pay for a much cleaner interface. It should all be powered off the DOSD+ anyway. Yes, I can publish the schematics but I've not decided on the exact component to use at the moment. I guess part of the problem is that I do need to make a small run of boards to test the thing anyway. I an guessing that the demand for this will be relatively small and the problem with small runs is that cost will be higher.

MikeTheCrash,

That's what I think too but some users here seem to like the IR sensor for some reason, perhaps they are hoping that it might represent a cheaper solution, albeit a poorer one. My personal goal here is mainly to make the DOSD+ interface with everything! I don't foresee myself ever using one of these but, then again, there might be people here who want one. I'm trying to get a pulse on just how great this demand is.

Daniel
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
Guys,

Some time in the past there were some requests to interface the FMA CPD4 IR sensor to the DOSD+. Now that most of the stuff is done for the DOSD+, I am beginning to consider this. Basically there are two ways in which this can be done - one is to use the existing G.P. input, which requires giving up RSSI - something I don't think people will want.

3. Would you prefer I work on improving the ArduIMU (there are limits to this), or finding a better IMU (for example, maybe one of the FY-xx devices), or making my own IMU design?

Daniel
A DragonIMU sounds good.
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:38 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
614 Posts
Daniel a quick question: the PWM Servo output 1 and PWM Servo output 2 are powered from the osd battery or from the power battery (through ppm output)?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:42 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
WRT IMU vs CoPilot.. I'd like an IMU soon... Although, wasn't there mention of lots of drift with it (if we're talking about that $99 board)?

Will this work with the DragonOSD+?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
Daniel a quick question: the PWM Servo output 1 and PWM Servo output 2 are powered from the osd battery or from the power battery (through ppm output)?
The PWM outputs will be powered by the power battery if you have +5V fed into the PPM +5V termination point.
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:03 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
I would certainly prefer IMU in any case. Personally I bought the arduIMU even if I didnt have time to test it so much, so i'd rather have this one improved. But if it's too limited of course, it's probably better to use a new one/ self made (as long as the old one still works, its kinda decent!)

Using sensors is just good for people already having sensors and not wanting to buy a separate IMU IMO. It might be nice to link a video of the IR sensors in the mist and how the AHI gets completely wrong - if that happens during RTH, uho :P
Having options is always a plus but if you've to choose, I doubt there are *so* many which have a sensor already? Maybe we should have a poll ;p
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:08 AM
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
187 Posts
I would go with FMA CPD4 IR... #1 or 2
plesk is offline Find More Posts by plesk
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX208 View Post
The PWM outputs will be powered by the power battery if you have +5V fed into the PPM +5V termination point.
Well in this case it is enough if in the dosd I will connect the ppm signal and PWM outputs signal only. And I will power up the servo from the ppm encoder.