HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Is there any chance that someone could get in contact with Daniel and arrange to work on the firmware for him? I would hate to see DOSD get left behind due to no further development, especially with DragonLink progressing and a tracker in the works.
Surely folks may want support for more sensors and IMU's. And possibly improvements in mission planning and/or live waypoint changes?
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:00 PM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,197 Posts
OSD control problem

Hi,

Today I tried flying my penguin with it's DOSD, and I encounter a problem, after starting, the throttle which was in the lowest position start the motor, I have to use the trim to stop the plane...It did on time the same thing and I have calibrate the throttle on my ESC (CC ice 50A).

I unplug and plug again the main batterie, and then no control (aileron, rudder, elevator) !

So my question is what could be the cause ? I saw a post of Vantasstic saying that on his planes, he set the radio to other. On mine I set it to Futaba.

I have a 9C, dragonlink (+Channel Wizard) + DOSD, baro and arduimu V2

Cedric
GLADUS63 is online now Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Is there any chance that someone could get in contact with Daniel and arrange to work on the firmware for him? I would hate to see DOSD get left behind due to no further development, especially with DragonLink progressing and a tracker in the works.
Surely folks may want support for more sensors and IMU's. And possibly improvements in mission planning and/or live waypoint changes?
I think the limiting factor on the DOSD is the memory size, not continued firmware development. The DOSD was designed some time ago and was way ahead of everything else. It's still ahead of most other systems in way of capabilities, price, size.

Will other systems overtake DOSD? Yeah, surely they will as time progresses. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily...it's all in what you need/want/require. There's LOTs of multicopter flight controllers that blow KK boards out of the water...but there's lots of folks buying KK boards because they provide the capabilities they need for a whole lot cheaper than 'full featured' controllers.

As Daniel always said...DOSD was designed as an OSD device...what it was able to do was just extra pudding in the cake.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
Hi,

Today I tried flying my penguin with it's DOSD, and I encounter a problem, after starting, the throttle which was in the lowest position start the motor, I have to use the trim to stop the plane...It did on time the same thing and I have calibrate the throttle on my ESC (CC ice 50A).

I unplug and plug again the main batterie, and then no control (aileron, rudder, elevator) !

So my question is what could be the cause ? I saw a post of Vantasstic saying that on his planes, he set the radio to other. On mine I set it to Futaba.

Cedric
I've found I have to power up my system in certain steps or things don't work right. I'm using a 2-battery system. I have to connect the video battery first (which also powers the DOSD logic), then connect the flight battery. If I do it the other way around I often get a 'dead' acting plane. Unplugging, letting it sit for a few, and then plugging it back in (in the proper order) resolves that issue. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your issue though...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I've found I have to power up my system in certain steps or things don't work right. I'm using a 2-battery system. I have to connect the video battery first (which also powers the DOSD logic), then connect the flight battery. If I do it the other way around I often get a 'dead' acting plane. Unplugging, letting it sit for a few, and then plugging it back in (in the proper order) resolves that issue. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your issue though...
It looks like the same issue, but I have the same battery for all my set-up, I use a step down converter and a filter from DPCAV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,197 Posts
I just tried now at home and it works ! only the ailerons aren't plugged...

Seeing the positive point, it avoid me to have to land the plane in the grass full of cow's manure ...But weather was so good today...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
Hi,

Cedric
might be worth checking your radio trim mode, there's a gas/glow setting on many radios that allows the motor to run at idle until you pull the trim to 0.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
might be worth checking your radio trim mode, there's a gas/glow setting on many radios that allows the motor to run at idle until you pull the trim to 0.
I will look at, but I take a new model for the plane...and that doesn't explain the 2nd boot with no response from servos !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:01 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,332 Posts
AP help

Spent several hours at the field trying to get the AP setup but was unable.

Following the directions I set ROC Step Gain and GSP stabilization to zero and saved to EPROM.

I preformed a servo direction test and get up elevator, right roll, and right rudder.

Powering the bird up at the field I get home lock in less than 10 seconds with 10 sats locked. Home set.

Take off, climb to about 400 ft, and start flying away from my home location. Flip the AP switch (auto pilot displayed) and nothing happens. The aircraft continues to fly the same heading/course. I then adjust the ROT Step Gain up to about 5. Save to EPROM. Still no course correction. Adjust the APROT gain up a bit also, save to EPROM. No effect.

I continue this process until both gains are at set to 8. At this setting I have fairly severe wing rock but no attempt to change course at all.

Not sure at this point what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be great.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post

Following the directions I set ROC Step Gain and GSP stabilization to zero and saved to EPROM.

I preformed a servo direction test and get up elevator, right roll, and right rudder.

Powering the bird up at the field I get home lock in less than 10 seconds with 10 sats locked. Home set.

Take off, climb to about 400 ft, and start flying away from my home location. Flip the AP switch (auto pilot displayed) and nothing happens. The aircraft continues to fly the same heading/course. I then adjust the ROT Step Gain up to about 5. Save to EPROM. Still no course correction. Adjust the APROT gain up a bit also, save to EPROM. No effect.

I continue this process until both gains are at set to 8. At this setting I have fairly severe wing rock but no attempt to change course at all.

What do you have waypoint mode set to? Do you have all others settings at factory defaults?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
This may be OT, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I'm hoping someone like Vantasstic will reply. I've looked for places to post in the gliders threads but haven't found a good spot.

This isn't 100% necessary. But it would be cool if I could accomplish it. I'm limited to 6 flight channels because I want to use a head tracker with a DX8 driving a RangeLink LDRS. So I want to make the most of the channels I have. I want to use the knob to control spoilers/flaps and crow with the ailerons. So all mixing would have to happen on the aircraft. It would work like this:

The knob's range will be divided into 3 functions, each using 1/3 of the knob's range.

1. Knob in neutral position (this would be at 1/3 travel) - all surfaces neutral.
2. Knob turned through upper 1/3 range - spoilers deploy, that is, flaps up.
3. Knob turned through lower 1/3 range - flaps deploy, flaps down.
4. Knob turned further down through next 2/3 range - ailerons deploy up into a crow configuration for braking.

This allows a single channel to proportionally control flaps, spoilers and crow. It also makes aileron adverse yaw work in the turn's favor when ailerons are used in crow.

I can do this on-board using this mixer: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-FRMDMX3.html
feeding a elevon mixer.

Is there a single mixer that can do this instead of having to use two? Is there an easier way? I understand I could buy a 12 channel radio to run my RangeLink but would rather not spend that kind of money.

Thanks! PM me if you have a suggestion and feel this is too OT for here.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,332 Posts
Quote:
What do you have waypoint mode set to? Do you have all others settings at factory defaults?
Not 100 percent what waypoint mode I have it set to currently. All other settings were default.

So the different waypoint settings effect how the RTH works?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Yes
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:13 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Yes
Egads! So what should I have the WP set to allow my aircraft to return to home when the AP is selected? I guess an exceptable answer at this point is to tell me to read the instructions again. Which, by the way, I've done more than 6 times.

Humbling this is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post

you need to be a way out of the home circle (usually set at about 50m radius IIRC), or DOSD thinks you are home. Waypoint mode should be circle, and waypoint should be 0 (home)

I would also recommend starting with the stock AP settings if you haven't already, and switch off the stabilisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
This may be OT, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I'm hoping someone like Vantasstic will reply. I've looked for places to post in the gliders threads but haven't found a good spot.

This isn't 100% necessary. But it would be cool if I could accomplish it. I'm limited to 6 flight channels because I want to use a head tracker with a DX8 driving a RangeLink LDRS. So I want to make the most of the channels I have. I want to use the knob to control spoilers/flaps and crow with the ailerons. So all mixing would have to happen on the aircraft. It would work like this:

The knob's range will be divided into 3 functions, each using 1/3 of the knob's range.

1. Knob in neutral position (this would be at 1/3 travel) - all surfaces neutral.
2. Knob turned through upper 1/3 range - spoilers deploy, that is, flaps up.
3. Knob turned through lower 1/3 range - flaps deploy, flaps down.
4. Knob turned further down through next 2/3 range - ailerons deploy up into a crow configuration for braking.

This allows a single channel to proportionally control flaps, spoilers and crow. It also makes aileron adverse yaw work in the turn's favor when ailerons are used in crow.

I can do this on-board using this mixer: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-FRMDMX3.html
feeding a elevon mixer.

Is there a single mixer that can do this instead of having to use two? Is there an easier way? I understand I could buy a 12 channel radio to run my RangeLink but would rather not spend that kind of money.

Thanks! PM me if you have a suggestion and feel this is too OT for here.
I would recommend not spending $50 on that mixer and spending it on a 9x radio instead. Add the chip to get custom firmware on the radio (or get 9xr) and you have the easiest to program best value 12ch there is!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash