HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:07 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Don't forget the HF is a large controller. I've seen a few. HUGE compared to other controllers I've seen. Did they support fixed wing, waypoints, etc?
They are large! they don't do fixed wing but they support waypoints etc... I tell you what though, Ive seen ALOT of multirotor controllers, all the KK boards (I helped captainK sort out some of the original mixes and code debugging :P). I had a quadpowered board (the days before hoverfly launched). Ive had a stab with most of them as well. Ive yet to fly anything that came close to the hoverfly Pro. Even the microkopter stuff wasn't as good (and that stuff is REALLY expensive). It has a built in camera gimbal stabilisation output for tilt and roll. If I wasn't going in the direction of bicopters I wouldn't have sold up.

Lol, enough of the sales pitch, pricy, but you get what you pay for (especially in terms of support).

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I can try those things. Reset to a new model when I started this little project. I did a servo test swith the model sitting in the house and the controlls are moving to turn it to the right but the elevator is going full down?

At least the OSD itself is working so that is good. Need to clean up the mess of wires in the airplane now and confirm it still works.
You might want to take things one step at a time.
First, connect your servos directly to your Rx and make sure everything is working as you'd expect (no weird throttle/rudder mixing, etc).
Second, verify your Tx output channels are in the proper order you've assigned in the DOSD input.
Third, connect the servos, one at a time, to the PWM outputs as you've assigned them and check for proper operation.
If you've got a rat's nest of wiring you could easily have some connections crossed somewhere along the line. Read the manual on setup...it's very helpful. Verify proper servo direction in the Servo Test menu. If you don't you could end up with reversed controls when in AP mode. Check, check, and double check. I do believe you mentioned everything was connected correctly on your DOSD connections, but were having issues. As soon as you, finally, posted a picture several folks immediately identified crossed wires. Trying to do to much at one time causes problems trying to figure out an issue when/if one pops up.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:06 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
Appreciate the advise. Taking a break for the night. Got the wires cleans up then the OSD didn't work.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
yup
Iv ran KK2.1 (openaero) KK2.0(openaero2) and testing the NAZE32 (Openaero32) now...

Chris
Thanks for info. I ordered PPM encoder. For now i'm using "throttle" channel from DOSD as OA control channel to keep all four DOSD outputs connected to OA. But i want my throttle control back

i have two KKs and one i86 loaded with OA and i switched my old FF flight controller for Ardupilot, so i want to try openaero32 on FF too.

Pen
PenJo is offline Find More Posts by PenJo
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:37 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
One thing that unnerves me about the DOSD is the fact if it looses power, and you have your servos connected to it, you loose all control. I'm considering just plugging my servos into the Rx and using the basic OSD for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:00 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,055 Posts
Quote:
One thing that unnerves me about the DOSD is the fact if it looses power, and you have your servos connected to it, you loose all control. I'm considering just plugging my servos into the Rx and using the basic OSD for now.
That's going to be a possibility with any system that controls your servos. Using as a basic OSD works fine, just no RTH or waypoint capabilities. Though I have read reports of some people having in-flight resets this appears to be a rare event. You probably have a much greater chance of getting run over by a car on your way to the flying field than your system resetting in flight.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:23 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
That's going to be a possibility with any system that controls your servos. Using as a basic OSD works fine, just no RTH or waypoint capabilities. Though I have read reports of some people having in-flight resets this appears to be a rare event. You probably have a much greater chance of getting run over by a car on your way to the flying field than your system resetting in flight.
I realize now that instead of dipping my toes into the waters of DIY electronics I jumped right in not realizing how deep the water is. I've swallowed a bit of water so to speak but my life vest is you guys and reading the instructions more than 5 times now. Sleep also helps as I found this morning I had plugged the RSSI cable is the wrong Rx output late last night.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 AM
Expert Crasher
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
1,948 Posts
finished setting up everything, hope my spotter aka antenna tracker man can make it tomorrow to do some testing with the OSD
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
Headed out to the field to test for the first time.

For the life of me I could not figure out why I have to have the output 2 assigned to throttle to have control of the rudder without it being mixed with the throttle.
Ive checked everything I know up to this point. A other funny thing is if I assign the throttle to channel 3 and rudder to channel 4 (as it should be), write the changes to the board, then immediately after "read" from OSD the channels are changed back (channel 3 rudder channel 4 throttle). I think this has something to do with my issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
Expert Crasher
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Headed out to the field to test for the first time.

For the life of me I could not figure out why I have to have the output 2 assigned to throttle to have control of the rudder without it being mixed with the throttle.
Ive checked everything I know up to this point. A other funny thing is if I assign the throttle to channel 3 and rudder to channel 4 (as it should be), write the changes to the board, then immediately after "read" from OSD the channels are changed back (channel 3 rudder channel 4 throttle). I think this has something to do with my issue.
maybe have something todo with the radio type? im just shooting in the dark here still not use to the osd also
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:51 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
maybe have something todo with the radio type? im just shooting in the dark here still not use to the osd also
Thought about that but it is set correctly on Multiplex as I'm flying with a HiTech A9.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
Well things went well at the field today. The OSD worked flawlessly and I even toyed around with the autopilot.

I need to read up on this more as It would not turn the airplane around toward home when activated.

Things went so well I broke my personal distance record.

New personal FPV distance record! Flown with Dragon Link UHF (3 min 8 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:58 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Thought about that but it is set correctly on Multiplex as I'm flying with a HiTech A9.
Mike, are u making setting changes via the dragonosd menu or your computer? You should consider buying this cable and the dragonosd software to make changes.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=495
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Well things went well at the field today. The OSD worked flawlessly and I even toyed around with the autopilot.

I need to read up on this more as It would not turn the airplane around toward home when activated.

Things went so well I broke my personal distance record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRb1gHcplaY
Nice congrats! Im using the penguin as well with dragonlink and dragonosd.
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:03 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Mike, are u making setting changes via the dragonosd menu or your computer? You should consider buying this cable and the dragonosd software to make changes.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=495
Did the basic setup with this via my computer. Now that the basic OSD is working I need to learn the auto pilot stuff and start making it work.
RCG Plus Member