HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:49 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
the wires going onto the CS board are soldered the wrong way around! If you look at the legend on the board you will see labels GND and V2.

Where did you get the CS or did you resolder it

If DOSD is still working then perhaps you may have burnt the track between J1 and the current sensor but that will be easy to bypass - or if powering from the power pins you don't need it anyway. I think you said you had continuity between these points anyway? DOSD is pretty robust, and I don't see why running current backwards throuigh the CS could have damaged it. Hopefully all is well!

Purchased NIB from a fellow RCG member.

Dagnabit! I didn't even see that. Well, I still have continuity between the CS input and J1 so hopefully the board is still good. I'll resolder the CS and check it out. Regardless I have a new one coming and they are cheep.

Thank you so much!!!!!
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
23 Posts
Question: DOSD output to PPM encoder?

Hi guys,

do you think that this PPM encoder can encode 4 DOSD outputs and other 4 pwm channels connected directly from receiver to usable 8 channel PPM sum

stream?
http://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

And why i need it? I wat to connect board loaded with openaero firmware with DOSD and 1) avoid jittering due to DOSD output timing and 2) save some

wires compared with my actual wiring 3) im curious if this can work

Thanks,
Pen
PenJo is offline Find More Posts by PenJo
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
your CS is soldered backwards - the GND should be black, voltage red and current monitor white wires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJo View Post
Hi guys,

do you think that this PPM encoder can encode 4 DOSD outputs and other 4 pwm channels connected directly from receiver to usable 8 channel PPM sum

stream?
http://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

And why i need it? I wat to connect board loaded with openaero firmware with DOSD and 1) avoid jittering due to DOSD output timing and 2) save some

wires compared with my actual wiring 3) im curious if this can work

Thanks,
Pen
yup
Iv ran KK2.1 (openaero) KK2.0(openaero2) and testing the NAZE32 (Openaero32) now...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:34 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Purchased NIB from a fellow RCG member.

Dagnabit! I didn't even see that. Well, I still have continuity between the CS input and J1 so hopefully the board is still good. I'll resolder the CS and check it out. Regardless I have a new one coming and they are cheep.

Thank you so much!!!!!
Well the others beat me to it...see what a picture can do over a video? As soldered you would of had reverse polarity from the CS to the DOSD. This can cause problems, hopefully not.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 PM
a wild pilot
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
Only 4 channels available on Dragon OSD?

Hello, sorry if this is an obvious question but I recently started flying a quadcopter using an Open Pilot CC3D with a Dragon UHF and I was researching getting the Dragon OSD. I like that it has RTH, but it appears that if I want to use that feature, I would plug the Dragon UHF PPM into the Dragon OSD but then there are only 4 PWM outputs for my flight controller. What happens to my other channels, am I just limited to 4 if I use the Dragon OSD?
Thanks
vork22 is offline Find More Posts by vork22
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:57 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,368 Posts
I don't think RTH well work for a Muti-Rotor
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vork22 View Post
Hello, sorry if this is an obvious question but I recently started flying a quadcopter using an Open Pilot CC3D with a Dragon UHF and I was researching getting the Dragon OSD. I like that it has RTH, but it appears that if I want to use that feature, I would plug the Dragon UHF PPM into the Dragon OSD but then there are only 4 PWM outputs for my flight controller. What happens to my other channels, am I just limited to 4 if I use the Dragon OSD?
Thanks
Eastcoast is correct. The DOSD can only be used for OSD purposes (no AutoPilot/RTH capabilities) on helicopters and multirotors. The DOSD works perfectly for AP functions on fixed wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:14 PM
a wild pilot
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Eastcoast is correct. The DOSD can only be used for OSD purposes (no AutoPilot/RTH capabilities) on helicopters and multirotors. The DOSD works perfectly for AP functions on fixed wing.
Ah I see, still worth getting though. I guess I'll just have to fly home myself :]
Thanks!
vork22 is offline Find More Posts by vork22
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vork22 View Post
Ah I see, still worth getting though. I guess I'll just have to fly home myself :]
Thanks!
There are controllers available with RTH capability. I don't know of any multirotor controller that also has built in OSD capability. I used a DJI Naza as a controller and used DOSD as my OSD source. It worked great. The Naza had the RTH capability and the DOSD game me volts, amp, altitude, distance, speed, direction home, etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:16 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,693 Posts
Quote:
There are controllers available with RTH capability. I don't know of any multirotor controller that also has built in OSD capability. I used a DJI Naza as a controller and used DOSD as my OSD source. It worked great. The Naza had the RTH capability and the DOSD game me volts, amp, altitude, distance, speed, direction home, etc.
The hoverfly pro has a built in OSD. Fantastic system. But quite expensive. Especially when you get the GPS addon board for RTH and more OSD features. I had the whole system but recently sold it as I'm going into duelcopters which are one of few configurations they don't support.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:55 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,080 Posts
if you willing to read and experiment apm2.5 also a good controller for multirotor, it have rth waypoint alk those sort of thing, it have osd add-on too, but well back to dosd rewiring everything on my beevolution flying wing, elevon mox need to be cleared from radio?

plus need to figure out the servo direction thingy for elevon setup, almost there maybe will be testing it i a few days
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:31 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Up until midnight last night and back at it this morning....

Seems I have everything hooked up and working. Current sensor output (servoc connector) was soldered backward and a easy fix. I also found the V trace burned on the board from the battery + side to the 12v wire going to the osd so I fixed that also. Saprisingly the current sensor works after all that BS. I'll still replace it when the new one arrives.

I believe there is a bug in the programing that may have serious effects when I do finally get to the AP capability.

For the life of me I could not get the rudder to NOT be mixed with the throttle. My radio Tx channel settings are as follows.

Ch 1 AILE (J1 or right stick)
Ch 2 Elev (J2 or right stick)
Ch 3 Thro (J3 or left stick)
Ch 4 Rudd (J4 or left stick)
Ch 5 AIL2 (J1 or right stick)
CH 6 (Right slider for pan)
CH 7 (switch E for flight mode)

The only connections on my DL Rx are PPM, Ch 3 for throttle, RSSI, and ch 6 for pan.
The DOSD+config has the following channel assignments.

CTRL channel 7
Aile channel 1
Elev channel 2
Rudder channel 4
Thro channel 3
Aile2 channel 5
Pan channel 6

Output channels are assigned as follows

1 elev
2 Rudd
3 ail 1
4 ail 2

In this exact configuration my rudder mixes with the throttle and will not work independently. If I change output 2 to "throttle" the rudder and throttle work perfect. The question is will the OSD control the rudder as the throttle when it's trying to fly back?

Or more likely I've missed something yet again?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:40 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
The hoverfly pro has a built in OSD. Fantastic system. But quite expensive. Especially when you get the GPS addon board for RTH and more OSD features. I had the whole system but recently sold it as I'm going into duelcopters which are one of few configurations they don't support.

CJ
Don't forget the HF is a large controller. I've seen a few. HUGE compared to other controllers I've seen. Did they support fixed wing, waypoints, etc?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:47 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Up until midnight last night and back at it this morning....

Seems I have everything hooked up and working. Current sensor output (servoc connector) was soldered backward and a easy fix. I also found the V trace burned on the board from the battery + side to the 12v wire going to the osd so I fixed that also. Saprisingly the current sensor works after all that BS. I'll still replace it when the new one arrives.

I believe there is a bug in the programing that may have serious effects when I do finally get to the AP capability.

For the life of me I could not get the rudder to NOT be mixed with the throttle. My radio Tx channel settings are as follows.

Ch 1 AILE (J1 or right stick)
Ch 2 Elev (J2 or right stick)
Ch 3 Thro (J3 or left stick)
Ch 4 Rudd (J4 or left stick)
Ch 5 AIL2 (J1 or right stick)
CH 6 (Right slider for pan)
CH 7 (switch E for flight mode)

The only connections on my DL Rx are PPM, Ch 3 for throttle, RSSI, and ch 6 for pan.
The DOSD+config has the following channel assignments.

CTRL channel 7
Aile channel 1
Elev channel 2
Rudder channel 4
Thro channel 3
Aile2 channel 5
Pan channel 6

Output channels are assigned as follows

1 elev
2 Rudd
3 ail 1
4 ail 2

In this exact configuration my rudder mixes with the throttle and will not work independently. If I change output 2 to "throttle" the rudder and throttle work perfect. The question is will the OSD control the rudder as the throttle when it's trying to fly back?

Or more likely I've missed something yet again?
I've never seen the DOSD mix in rudder with throttle. There is a setting in the DOSD for rudder mix. Mode 0=No Rudder mix w/aileron, Mode 1=Rudder mix with aileron, Mode 2=Rudder mix with aileron in the opposite direction. Try finding and turning off the Rudder Mix and see what happens. Note: Rudder Mix ONLY works when in AP mode. It does not 'mix' rudder with aileron in normal mode. I'd be more inclined to think it's either an input channel assignment error or some sort of mixing from your Tx. You can try creating a whole new model in a different memory location and see if you can eliminate the unwanted mixing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:50 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,331 Posts
Quote:
I've never seen the DOSD mix in rudder with throttle. There is a setting in the DOSD for rudder mix. Mode 0=No Rudder mix w/aileron, Mode 1=Rudder mix with aileron, Mode 2=Rudder mix with aileron in the opposite direction. Try finding and turning off the Rudder Mix and see what happens. Note: Rudder Mix ONLY works when in AP mode. It does not 'mix' rudder with aileron in normal mode. I'd be more inclined to think it's either an input channel assignment error or some sort of mixing from your Tx. You can try creating a whole new model in a different memory location and see if you can eliminate the unwanted mixing.
I can try those things. Reset to a new model when I started this little project. I did a servo test swith the model sitting in the house and the controlls are moving to turn it to the right but the elevator is going full down?

At least the OSD itself is working so that is good. Need to clean up the mess of wires in the airplane now and confirm it still works.
RCG Plus Member