HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Ok guys. After more than four hours here is where I stand.

Modified my current harness to incorporate the OSD.

Connected my camera, Tx, PPM from the DL (ch 12, V1 Rx V2 firmware), and the RSSI. Power the Radio Tx on the the DL Rx. With that and my Vtx powered I get video output. Power my OSD, get startup tones, it runs its checks and I have total time and voltage.

Now my problems.

1. soldered the connectors on the current sensor and tried to power the OSD via this way (with the jumper installed between the middle and inboard pin per the instructions. Doing this I get no OSD power. Now this is a stupid question but I shouldn't have to have the ESC connected also right? I verified my soldering was good with a multimeter.
No, you only need the current sensor attached to the DOSD with the J1 pin installed and it should power up. On the battery leads, the GND lead should be on the edge of the CS, the Positive lead just under that. When you connect the 3-wire lead from the CS to the DOSD the Black is gnd and connected on the edge most pin, the white is the current (I-Sense) and is the second pin from the edge, and the Red (voltage) is the third pin in. There is a fourth pin here. DO NOT connect anything to this pin. It's for 3.3v (not used). Connecting the red wire to the fourth pin WILL fry the board...don't ask...been there, done that. I'd recommend putting a small piece of heat shrink on that fourth pin to prevent accident connection.

Quote:
2. I assigned channel 5 to the left slider on my HiTech A9 per the instructions. Adjusted the end points to 100 each way. After doing this I am unable to access the OSD menu regardless of the slider position or any switch. At one point I was able to get the OSD to read "AP off" and "warming" by flipping my gear switch but after resetting all channels I can no longer do it.
This is the hardest part of doing the setup via the Tx. The DOSD defaults to Ch5 and the 'mode' channel. If your Tx is using a 2-way, 3-way switch for Ch5 then it's real difficult to find the right setting to get into the Menu Mode where you can reassign your inputs. As you mentioned, having this on a knob/slider is the easiest way to trying to get into the Menu. I'm not familiar with the A9. Can you channel map with that Tx? If so, make sure Ch5 is assigned to the slider you're using. The fact you mentioned your gear switch enabled AP Off and Warning makes me think that switch is actually your Ch5 output.

A note here. Once you get into the Menu, changes to your input channel assignment take place immediately. So if you change the Menu to, say Ch8, you'd immediately loose the menu control from the switch you were previously using. Yeah, I know....drove me crazy the first time too. Once you get the Ail, Ele, and Mode switches assigned/working properly the rest is much easier. The FTDI and PCC is the easiest way as you can configure everything via the computer and then test with your radio. Keep at it. We're here to help as much as we can...we've all been through it...save I can't help with the FTDI dongle not working once you go into Win7 on your MAC.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:17 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
No, you only need the current sensor attached to the DOSD with the J1 pin installed and it should power up. On the battery leads, the GND lead should be on the edge of the CS, the Positive lead just under that. When you connect the 3-wire lead from the CS to the DOSD the Black is gnd and connected on the edge most pin, the white is the current (I-Sense) and is the second pin from the edge, and the Red (voltage) is the third pin in. There is a fourth pin here. DO NOT connect anything to this pin. It's for 3.3v (not used). Connecting the red wire to the fourth pin WILL fry the board...don't ask...been there, done that. I'd recommend putting a small piece of heat shrink on that fourth pin to prevent accident connection.

This is the hardest part of doing the setup via the Tx. The DOSD defaults to Ch5 and the 'mode' channel. If your Tx is using a 2-way, 3-way switch for Ch5 then it's real difficult to find the right setting to get into the Menu Mode where you can reassign your inputs. As you mentioned, having this on a knob/slider is the easiest way to trying to get into the Menu. I'm not familiar with the A9. Can you channel map with that Tx? If so, make sure Ch5 is assigned to the slider you're using. The fact you mentioned your gear switch enabled AP Off and Warning makes me think that switch is actually your Ch5 output.

A note here. Once you get into the Menu, changes to your input channel assignment take place immediately. So if you change the Menu to, say Ch8, you'd immediately loose the menu control from the switch you were previously using. Yeah, I know....drove me crazy the first time too. Once you get the Ail, Ele, and Mode switches assigned/working properly the rest is much easier. The FTDI and PCC is the easiest way as you can configure everything via the computer and then test with your radio. Keep at it. We're here to help as much as we can...we've all been through it...save I can't help with the FTDI dongle not working once you go into Win7 on your MAC.
Really appreciate the help. My progress isn't as fast as I'd like for sure.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,496 Posts
Quote:
Really appreciate the help. My progress isn't as fast as I'd like for sure.
My fingers are crossed for you on getting the FTDI to communicate with your computer. It really makes the initial setup much easier...plus you need that to load waypoints to the DOSD.

Just to make sure here...Your A9 Rx (or whatever Rx you're using) does have PPM output capability or you have a PPM encoder attached? Without a PPM signal into the DOSD you won't be able to do anything with the DOSD.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:42 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
My fingers are crossed for you on getting the FTDI to communicate with your computer. It really makes the initial setup much easier...plus you need that to load waypoints to the DOSD.

Just to make sure here...Your A9 Rx (or whatever Rx you're using) does have PPM output capability or you have a PPM encoder attached? Without a PPM signal into the DOSD you won't be able to do anything with the DOSD.
I'm using a Dragon Link in the A9. Already flown with it several times so I know it works. Tonight is the first time I tried the PPM output which should be on ch 12 for my V1 Rx.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,496 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a Dragon Link in the A9. Already flown with it several times so I know it works. Tonight is the first time I tried the PPM output which should be on ch 12 for my V1 Rx.
Earlier V1 Rx's used Ch9 for PPM. As long as you know which it is, be in Ch9 and Ch12 then your connection should be good...just wanted to make sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:11 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
I can send you some for 3 (approx 5 USD) postage but not signed for/tracked
hmmm tempting
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Quote:
I hadn't tried this. So the DC dongle will work with PC Commander?
yes, you just have to make sure your BT sees it as a Serial connection...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:25 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Ok, here is where I stand after another night tinkering.

First the bad.

It seems my current sensor does not work correctly. I verified the connections and even unsoldered the deans to reverse them after reading the small diagram that came with it. With a battery connected, no ESC, the lead correctly installed on the OSD, and the power jumper my OSD does not get power. I assume it should work without the ESC installed correct? I may need to order a new one.

Now the progress.

I got the TTL working! Two pages back a post with the windows 7 drivers seems to have done the trick. Now, I assumed up to this point there were two different programs to change settings of the OSD and another to plan missions. Looking at the DOSD+config it seems I can do everything from right here. is this correct? My confusion stems mainly from the difference in appearance between the real program and the instruction manual. I assume the new program was changed and the directions are not updated?

My GPS managed to get satalite lock inside after about 30 minutes. I did add a torid to the wires which means I will have to extended them to install in the Penguin.

Some odd observations on the programing. I can change settings, such as adding my callsign or changing the OSD to mode 3, write the changes to the OSD and watch my screen for the changes. When I try to change them back it does not work. I tried to reboot the OSD from the menu but it also does not change them back even though the program shows the changes. I have to reset the default settings to get the changes to take. Is this normal?

One last thing for tonight. My display doesn't quite fit the screen and I can't find the setting to change it. I know it has been discussed here before.

Here is a screen shot of the config menu. If there is a additional program I should be using let me know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:18 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,496 Posts
Quote:
Ok, here is where I stand after another night tinkering.

First the bad.

It seems my current sensor does not work correctly. I verified the connections and even unsoldered the deans to reverse them after reading the small diagram that came with it. With a battery connected, no ESC, the lead correctly installed on the OSD, and the power jumper my OSD does not get power. I assume it should work without the ESC installed correct? I may need to order a new one.
Post some clear, close up pictures of your current sensor (both sides), the conection to the DOSD, and your jumper position. You can say all day and night you've got it right, but pictures can help either confirm that or identify a problem that can be corrected before you spend more money.

Quote:
I got the TTL working! Two pages back a post with the windows 7 drivers seems to have done the trick. Now, I assumed up to this point there were two different programs to change settings of the OSD and another to plan missions. Looking at the DOSD+config it seems I can do everything from right here. is this correct? My confusion stems mainly from the difference in appearance between the real program and the instruction manual. I assume the new program was changed and the directions are not updated?
Congrats...one big hurtle overcome. You can do all your configuration with PC Commander...you can't plan and load waypoint missions with PCC though, you'll need the other program for that. The other can also be used for setup, but I found PCC easier to work with. Both programs were created by fellow DOSD users.

My GPS managed to get satalite lock inside after about 30 minutes. I did add a torid to the wires which means I will have to extended them to install in the Penguin.

Quote:
Some odd observations on the programing. I can change settings, such as adding my callsign or changing the OSD to mode 3, write the changes to the OSD and watch my screen for the changes. When I try to change them back it does not work. I tried to reboot the OSD from the menu but it also does not change them back even though the program shows the changes. I have to reset the default settings to get the changes to take. Is this normal?
I've not noticed that issue. You are 'writing' your changes to the DOSD after changing them?
Quote:
One last thing for tonight. My display doesn't quite fit the screen and I can't find the setting to change it. I know it has been discussed here before.
The Safe X/Y setting adjusts the OSD to fully fit inside your display.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:50 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Vantasstic told me a long time ago to put a piece of aluminum foil under the Dragon GPS.
I couldn't get a lock even after 45 minutes. I put the foil under it and got a lock within a few minutes.

Worked great ever since. I carry a pic of foil with me just in case.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:41 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
vantasstic told me a long time ago to put a piece of aluminum foil under the dragon gps.
I couldn't eat a lock evn after 45 minutes. I put the foil under it and got a lock within a few minutes.

Worked great ever since. I carry a pic of foil with me just in case.
+1
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:04 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Post some clear, close up pictures of your current sensor (both sides), the conection to the DOSD, and your jumper position. You can say all day and night you've got it right, but pictures can help either confirm that or identify a problem that can be corrected before you spend more money.

Congrats...one big hurtle overcome. You can do all your configuration with PC Commander...you can't plan and load waypoint missions with PCC though, you'll need the other program for that. The other can also be used for setup, but I found PCC easier to work with. Both programs were created by fellow DOSD users.

I've not noticed that issue. You are 'writing' your changes to the DOSD after changing them?
The Safe X/Y setting adjusts the OSD to fully fit inside your display.
Hmm, If there are two different programs that allow programing but only one for waypoints maybe I have the latter. There is a tab for mission planning that brings up another page with google maps and a mission planning box. The program I have working is DOSD+config.

I will get some close up pics of the current sensor tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I carry a pic of foil with me just in case.
I Dont...
GPS Mod video
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,496 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, If there are two different programs that allow programing but only one for waypoints maybe I have the latter. There is a tab for mission planning that brings up another page with google maps and a mission planning box. The program I have working is DOSD+config.

I will get some close up pics of the current sensor tonight.
Yes, sounds like you have the program that does both. The program, for DOSD setup, most used is probably PC Commander. This is the one I use the most. I also use DOSD+config, but only for waypoint mission planning. Oh, of course there is always Dragon Commander (for Android only...thanks to iPhone protriatery stuff) that does config and missin planning. I have DC, but haven't used it much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
483 Posts
I too use both PC based tools, the thing I like about DOSD+ Config Tool is its comprehensive HELP menu. After I get it all connected and working, I go here if I need a operation manual, as its easier to find what I want than the full manual at times.

I can program the DOSD and have the Help menu open at the same time telling me what each setting does as I program each step (even what defaults are which I find helpful after I have been fiddling ...) I even use the help menu from the Config Tool when I want to program using PCC

If DOSD+ PCC had the same help menu and waypoints programming, I would find myself preferring that one. If they morphed their strong points into the one app, I reckon it would be a winner!
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych