SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:13 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
1) PC Commander requires .Netframeworks 3.5 to work. Win7 and Win8 already have this, WinXP (and maybe Vista) will need to have it installed.
2) You MUST power the DOSD from the power pins...DOSD is not powered via the TTL connection.
3). Make sure your PC recognizes and installs the TTL device driver. To check:
Plug in the TTL USB dongle to your computer
Right Click on 'My Computer'
Left Click on Manage
Left Click on Device Manager
Look in the right window. Do you see anything with a yellow background and a "!"? If so, the 'puter sees the device but hasn't loaded the driver. You will need to check from where you got the device to which driver it requires. Do a Google search if you're not sure how to 'manually' install a driver.
If you don't see the yellow background with the !, Left Click on the Comm/Ports folder. It will open. You should see your device and port number listed here if it is installed and ready to use.
I powered the OSD per the instructions. Based on your tips I have other issues. Downloaded the Netframwork3.5 but not positive it installed. The computer is not recognizing the TTL as I get no LED. With it plugged into the computer on my Mac side it lights up just fine when plugged in.

I've taken a few deep breaths. One thing fixed at a time.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Hey guys, attached is my diagram. Currently, I have a LC filter on the Video transmitter. Would it help if I put one on the UBEC as well? (note: my esc and UBEC are separate).
If so, where on the UBEC would I put the LC filter? Thanks
If you're using a separate battery for the video then you shouldn't need an LC filter at all. The LC filter is most commonly needed when you power the motors and video from the same battery.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
If you're using a separate battery for the video then you shouldn't need an LC filter at all. The LC filter is most commonly needed when you power the motors and video from the same battery.
Thanks Van..... so is the lc filter doing nothing but adding dead weight cause I have a 2 battery setup?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:42 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Thanks Van..... so is the lc filter doing nothing but adding dead weight cause I have a 2 battery setup?
Well it should hurt anything, but I've not had need of an LC filter on a two-battery system. I just installed a LC filter on a little hex using a single battery and it did make a difference there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Well it should hurt anything, but I've not had need of an LC filter on a two-battery system. I just installed a LC filter on a little hex using a single battery and it did make a difference there.
Much thanks
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:09 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I powered the OSD per the instructions. Based on your tips I have other issues. Downloaded the Netframwork3.5 but not positive it installed. The computer is not recognizing the TTL as I get no LED. With it plugged into the computer on my Mac side it lights up just fine when plugged in.

Do you have a PC? I know i had my share of Probs with the PC commander, turned out one of my wires were broken on the board.

If you are not seeing a Com port, then id say its PC related not your dongle/DOSD.

I know nothing about MAC sorry. But make sure the coms are open, i ran races though my PC for a few days making sure it was all open and the right .Net was installed ect...only till i looked at the dongle closely, to see one of the wires broken. But boy was i happy when i hit the connect button and it worked
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:36 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,390 Posts
Quote:
I think he's good to go now...just had things connected to the wrong places.
I type too slowly!!

Quote:

If there's no LED lit on the adaptor, I think it means there's no power coming out of your USB socket. perhaps you overloaded the socket and the computer shut it down. try restarting.

if then you have no adaptor recognised and no new com ports are listed it would most likely be a driver issue. In some cases you have to remove the windows driver and put in a new one. more info here: http://www.dragonlabseu.bigcartel.co...windows-7-info
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:27 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Do you have a PC? I know i had my share of Probs with the PC commander, turned out one of my wires were broken on the board.

If you are not seeing a Com port, then id say its PC related not your dongle/DOSD.

I know nothing about MAC sorry. But make sure the coms are open, i ran races though my PC for a few days making sure it was all open and the right .Net was installed ect...only till i looked at the dongle closely, to see one of the wires broken. But boy was i happy when i hit the connect button and it worked
I have a mac running boot camp and windows 7 on a HD partition. It will be back to the drawing board tonight but at some point I'm going to have to get the dang thing installed in my airplane if I want to play this weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:31 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
I type too slowly!!

If there's no LED lit on the adaptor, I think it means there's no power coming out of your USB socket. perhaps you overloaded the socket and the computer shut it down. try restarting.

if then you have no adaptor recognised and no new com ports are listed it would most likely be a driver issue. In some cases you have to remove the windows driver and put in a new one. more info here: http://www.dragonlabseu.bigcartel.co...windows-7-info
The LED works when pluged in running my macbook on the ios side. When I reboot over to the windows 7 side it lights up during bootup but once the OS is up and running it goes out.

I'm going to assume its a combination of driver and the computer not knowing what is pluged in. I beliveve the USB ports are running test during bootup to see what is pluged in and that is why I get power for a short time.

First thing tonight I'll try all the stuff you guys have suggested.

One last question. There should only be three wires going from the TTL to my board correct? Gnd, PCtx and PCrx? I assume they are a one for one pin match meaning the PCtx from the board goes to the PCtx on my TTL?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:32 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
The LED works when pluged in running my macbook on the ios side. When I reboot over to the windows 7 side it lights up during bootup but once the OS is up and running it goes out.

I'm going to assume its a combination of driver and the computer not knowing what is pluged in. I beliveve the USB ports are running test during bootup to see what is pluged in and that is why I get power for a short time.

First thing tonight I'll try all the stuff you guys have suggested.
Didn't realize your running on a MAC with an immulator. In that case I certainly have no special ideas to help out. I'm not a MAC user. I refuse to purchase/use overpriced, highly proprietary APPLE products...personal choice...not trying to bash anyone. I hope you get it sorted out. You CAN configure the DOSD without the PC connection, it's just harder to do the initial setup until you get the input channels assigned properly.

Quote:
One last question. There should only be three wires going from the TTL to my board correct? Gnd, PCtx and PCrx? I assume they are a one for one pin match meaning the PCtx from the board goes to the PCtx on my TTL?
Nope. I mentioned this several times in my previous post. The Tx from the TTL goes to the Rx on the DOSD, and Rx from TTL to Tx on DOSD....so they're crossed...of course, gnd to gnd is normal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:25 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Didn't realize your running on a MAC with an immulator. In that case I certainly have no special ideas to help out. I'm not a MAC user. I refuse to purchase/use overpriced, highly proprietary APPLE products...personal choice...not trying to bash anyone. I hope you get it sorted out. You CAN configure the DOSD without the PC connection, it's just harder to do the initial setup until you get the input channels assigned properly.

Nope. I mentioned this several times in my previous post. The Tx from the TTL goes to the Rx on the DOSD, and Rx from TTL to Tx on DOSD....so they're crossed...of course, gnd to gnd is normal.
Mac running windows 7 is essentially a PC. The only difference being some of the keyboard keys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I have the Dragon Commander and it's awesome.
Just fire up the Android app on your cell phone in the field and control all settings and no computer needed.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
it sounds like your Windows 7 is missing drivers... I would check the manager to see what is not recognized.
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I have the Dragon Commander and it's awesome.
Just fire up the Android app on your cell phone in the field and control all settings and no computer needed.
yup
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Save the headache of having wires and a computer whenever you want to fiddle with the Dragon OSD.
This is money well spent, especially since you can adjust everything at the field. Even while flying if you stay within the range.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=992
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821