HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:49 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Fatshark, yuck, phewy!!! I had a set of the Fatshark Predators....couldn't sell them off fast enough. True they come with built in 5.8VRx and a 'could barely get any range with' 100mW VTx...which I found really unusable as a flight system. The viewers had a bluish tint and weren't all that clear. The rubber eye cups get uncomfortable rather quickly.

I also have a set of Vuzix 920 Wraps. Never tried them with the sun glass shades. I'd agree with Chris....yuck, phewy....BUT pop them out of the shades and velcro them in a pair of deep ski goggles and SUPER COMFORTABLE, much better picture than my Preds ever had, adjustable focus for each eye. I MUCH PREFER my Vuzix over the Preds...and they cost less too.

The newer Fatshark style (sorry, forget the name) has adjustable IPD's for narrower/wider eye spacing...which is nice to have. They still use the rubber eye cups though. I'll stick with my Vuzix, thank you. Do a search for Vuzix on RCG...there's a thread with some info/pictures. I've tried many, many goggles...with Vuzix being my top preference. Heck, I even preferred (and kept) my MyVu video glasses over the Fatshark Predators.
Have you tried the Head Play's and if so how did they compare to you Vuzix?
metalbender4by is online now Find More Posts by metalbender4by
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:37 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
Yes, I had HeadPlays...sold them too. On the up side they have adjusable IPDs and focus. They had the best picture quality of the ones I tried too. The problem I had was if you didn't have them centered just right on your eye you'd loose vision in one/both eyes. I was always having to readjust them. Then there's the 'Liberator' required to use them...more of a boat anchor really. I STILL prefer my Vuzix over any other system I've tried...Head Play, Trimersion, Fatshark Predators, and a couple other off-brand ones. If the Vuzix had adjustable IPD then they'd be the cat's meow. They fit me though so I'm happy with them. FWIW, I wish the actually had a little smaller FOV...the corners of the screen start to blur out on me. I don't like the really wide FOV systems...I feel like I have to 'look' around the screen to see all my flight OSD info vs being able to see it all while just 'looking' straight ahead. Kind of like sitting in the front row of a movie theater vs sitting in the back row. Care to guess who'll walk away with eye/neck strain after a nice long movie?
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
376 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I had HeadPlays...sold them too. On the up side they have adjusable IPDs and focus. They had the best picture quality of the ones I tried too. The problem I had was if you didn't have them centered just right on your eye you'd loose vision in one/both eyes. I was always having to readjust them. Then there's the 'Liberator' required to use them...more of a boat anchor really. I STILL prefer my Vuzix over any other system I've tried...Head Play, Trimersion, Fatshark Predators, and a couple other off-brand ones. If the Vuzix had adjustable IPD then they'd be the cat's meow. They fit me though so I'm happy with them. FWIW, I wish the actually had a little smaller FOV...the corners of the screen start to blur out on me. I don't like the really wide FOV systems...I feel like I have to 'look' around the screen to see all my flight OSD info vs being able to see it all while just 'looking' straight ahead. Kind of like sitting in the front row of a movie theater vs sitting in the back row. Care to guess who'll walk away with eye/neck strain after a nice long movie?
Quote:
I'm leaning to use the Vuzix 920 and a pair of Ski goggles just as you Van suggeted to me .....unless there is someone with some suggestions
Juanp is offline Find More Posts by Juanp
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:46 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,909 Posts
Goggles are nice but I am slowly coming around to the idea that all things considered a video monitor with a shroud is probably best for fpv.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Goggles are nice but I am slowly coming around to the idea that all things considered a video monitor with a shroud is probably best for fpv.
I started with a portable 7" LCD and shroud...still use it as a backup/show and tell display. It sure makes it easier to look 'in' and 'outside' of the display for FPV/LOS transitions. For sure a great way to learn on...at a low price. I like goggles for the ability to just lay back in any comfortable position and fly. I didn't black out my goggles so I still have peripheral vision. On the down side, I need glasses for far sight...I can't wear my glasses with my goggles...but can focus my Vuzix to what I need. When I look 'around' the display I can see things, but not necessarily focus on/finding my plane. Of course, with the DOSD (this is the DOSD thread...right? ) I just my plane on RTH, take off my goggles, put on my glasses and land...easy!!!

FWIW, I image a decent 7" portable LCD is in the ~$70 range and a shroud for it ~$19...so for less than $100 it's a good started system. This is the sun shield I use on my 7" LCD...works great and folds flat. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Sun_Hood.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
It depends on what FPV you are doing...

My small flying wing is fine for a monitor since it only flies 7-10min...

My Super Sky Surfer would be terrible to fly with a screen... with 2+ hours of flight time Id rather throw on my goggles and recline in my Camping chair

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:35 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I had HeadPlays...sold them too.
Thanks for the input.
metalbender4by is online now Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:07 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input.
Headplays nice vid but uses several mirrors to split the video screen. The last time I heard they should be mounted correctly in front of the eyes or video can go off. Anyone with experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
Headplays nice vid but uses several mirrors to split the video screen. The last time I heard they should be mounted correctly in front of the eyes or video can go off. Anyone with experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

John
That was my issue with the Headplay's. If I didn't keep things perfectly centered I'd loose view in one/both eyes. They had the best quality video of the ones I've tried though...just not very portable with the required Liberator.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
Just finishing up my little tutorial video on a nice mod for the GPS module... Heres the finished ones...

I replaced the cable with dual shielded USB, Added a torroid, and added a small reflector. Even on my brand new GPS from dragonlabs.eu it only took 1-2 min for 6 sats indoors! Thats pretty good for a "cold boot" and im confused by the "warm boot" I left them unplugged for 2 hours and then had 6 sats again before my DragonCommander could even connect!

Ill post the video once it renders and is uploaded to YT.
Name: IMG_0142.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 299.9 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:27 AM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Just finishing up my little tutorial video on a nice mod for the GPS module... Heres the finished ones...

I replaced the cable with dual shielded USB, Added a torroid, and added a small reflector. Even on my brand new GPS from dragonlabs.eu it only took 1-2 min for 6 sats indoors! Thats pretty good for a "cold boot" and im confused by the "warm boot" I left them unplugged for 2 hours and then had 6 sats again before my DragonCommander could even connect!

Ill post the video once it renders and is uploaded to YT.
Attachment 5480189
Great !

will try this !

Cedric
GLADUS63 is offline Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:54 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,149 Posts
This might have been dealt with before so sorry if I missed it.
Had a slight issue with DOSD today
I fly with DLv2 using the new 9xr previously er9x.
Powered up the osd and video and display was good. sats found and every thing.
Powered up the DL via flight pack ( I use separate packs) as soon as the ESC cherps that it's fine I lose the osd.
GPS still poles and the Ail, ele and rudder still operate but no display.
Unplug the flight pack and the osd comes back.
Any ideas??
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:42 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,299 Posts
Hmmm a foxing day for you I expect

If the servos (connected to DOSD) are responding, then DOSD is powered up. Is there any chance that failsafe or your new Tx is set up with "display off" as the control channel?
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
heres the GPS mod video as promised

FPV GPS upgrades (14 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:20 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
heres the GPS mod video as promised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU44W7lBZuM
Nicely done. I might have to give that a try on my Penguin build. Thanks for doing that up for us.
RCG Plus Member