SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
479 Posts
you're not using a Baro board with your DOSD are you? I've seen, (firsthand) a baro board causing reboots, From what I read at the time, there was an common issue, and they rectified it, and I haven't seen it pop up now for a long time. I was lucky I noticed it during bench testing and tracked it down to my Baro. I replaced the baro and no more issues.

My DOSD has reset to defaults in between flight as well as my flying buddy too, different FW, so Im still not sure what causes it, I had a good flight, landed, changed batteries, plugged in, nothing... all settings to default. This happened to my mate the same. These happened not in flight though, which would be worse ( goes without saying I know)
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your crash. You have clearly spent a great deal of effort doing your research on this thread. I have had one DOSD reset long ago, and I don't know why. It caused no damage, but always left me a bit concerned that it could happen again someday. As you know, the problem is that the a dead DOSD renders all servos attached to it useless. I can survive without the ailerons by using the rudder attached directly to the Rx, but the loss of elevator could be fatal.
For added redundancy I am considering cutting the elevator in half and running each half off a separate servo. One servo through the DOSD and the other directly to the Rx. I would use a radio mix to match them up, but the DOSD would only have use of half the elevator for its autopilot. This would require higher gains, but I'm sure it would work fine. This would also provide redundancy for an elevator servo failure.
Always trying to improve.

To answer you question, the video pin should be fine, just make sure it's soldered to the board well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Few pages back... I had the same reset issue still don't know why
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
If you're having reset issues be sure you have a good, strong, reliable voltage input to the DOSD. A drop below 4.6-4.8v can cause a DOSD reset. I've only seen a reset with an old, experimental, fw version which was fixed and never surfaced again some year(s) ago.
Thank you gentleman. Some very helpful advice and ideas. Much appreciated
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2008
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Guys,my DOSD reset in the air and crashed my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
I have had one DOSD reset long ago, and I don't know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Few pages back... I had the same reset issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
I've seen, (firsthand) a baro board causing reboots, My DOSD has reset to defaults in between flight as well as my flying buddy too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zont View Post
I see I am not the only one who has reboot issues. My DOSD has already crashed 2 models.
Gents

This not the sort of problem any of us needs with an aircraft out of sight and loaded with expensive gear.

It might be useful if each of you posted info about your setups to see if there are any common factors. As Van and Mike suggest, a drop in voltage to the DOSD can cause a dropout, so details on such things as whether the DOSD is powered directly from the flight battery or via the video battery, the camera and video transmitter involved, the type of BEC (if used) and anything else that might directly influence the DOSD and/or power to it could help narrow down the cause.
Mehari is offline Find More Posts by Mehari
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:09 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,482 Posts
I would also like to here about details on this as well. Wouldn't the DL fail safe save you if your DOSD dropped out? The DL fail-safe overrides the osd's FS?
What i mean by saving you!! is at least put you into what ever orientation your FS'd your system? say a slight downward spiral glide power off!?
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jan 20, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:13 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,379 Posts
I believe most in-air resets will be caused by loose connections not a software glitch. Ensure your voltage stays high enough even when flexing all your servos and running your motor. Cold weather causes LiPos to lower voltage.

Check all your sires, connections and solder joints... breaks in GPS or i2c data an cause DOSD to stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I would also like to here about details on this as well. Wouldn't the DL fail safe save you if your DOSD dropped out? The DL fail-safe overrides the osd's FS?
What i mean by saving you!! is at least put you into what ever orientation your FS'd your system? say a slight downward spiral glide power off!?
depends how you wire the system of course but generally the servos are plugged into DOSD, so if DOSD resets there is no signal going to the servos for a moment, even if the Rx is in FS. If you have an external stabiliser it may level the plane even where there is no servo signal. Not tested!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nope. The DL Rx has no idea what the DOSD is doing. The Rx will failsafe only on loss of signal with the Tx. The Rx failsafe triggers the DOSD to enter RTH mode (if you set up the failsafe that way). If the DOSD resets then ALL functions/controls the DOSD handles are inop until it reboots.

No matter what equipment you have on board there's going to be at least one source that will 'kill' the system. You'd need to invest a whole lot more $$$$$ for redundancies to redundancies...and even those can fail. The best way to ensure you don't crash your plane is to never take it out of the house.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
422 Posts
I was very upset when I crashed my EZ because of DOSD rebooting. It is still in its carrying box with everything untouched. I must find some time to make a small investigation.
All I can say is that I had been flying almost half an year with separate video battery (including DOSD) and I had zero issues. After this setup I wanted to simplify thing powering everithing from the engine battery. So I put the jumper on DOSD board to get power from current sensor.
I had 7-8 flight in differrent days with this new setup and no issue. The day with the crash was a little bit warmer that the other days so the Lipo was fine.
I'll be back with more details (if any) after I investigate my wiring and check for possible poor connections.
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
399 Posts
Hello all

I know that this is not a subject for this forum, but I'm searching for a good goggles. I've seen several brands such as fatshark and vuzix. Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are very welcome

Thanks,

Juan
Juanp is offline Find More Posts by Juanp
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:12 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Fir the data on the DOSD I have found that Fatshark Predators work nice. The Vuzix provide a good image but take some modifications to work with FPV (needs better sunshades)

Dont go cheaper though...
I have tested some cheap ebay goggles and the DOSD data could not be read, I had to use a large font on a remzibi OSD to make anything legible with the cheaper goggles...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Fir the data on the DOSD I have found that Fatshark Predators work nice. The Vuzix provide a good image but take some modifications to work with FPV (needs better sunshades)

Dont go cheaper though...
I have tested some cheap ebay goggles and the DOSD data could not be read, I had to use a large font on a remzibi OSD to make anything legible with the cheaper goggles...

Chris
Great. I'll take a look on them. Thanks

Juan
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:34 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanp View Post
Hello all

I know that this is not a subject for this forum, but I'm searching for a good goggles. I've seen several brands such as fatshark and vuzix. Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions are very welcome

Thanks,

Juan
Fatshark, yuck, phewy!!! I had a set of the Fatshark Predators....couldn't sell them off fast enough. True they come with built in 5.8VRx and a 'could barely get any range with' 100mW VTx...which I found really unusable as a flight system. The viewers had a bluish tint and weren't all that clear. The rubber eye cups get uncomfortable rather quickly.

I also have a set of Vuzix 920 Wraps. Never tried them with the sun glass shades. I'd agree with Chris....yuck, phewy....BUT pop them out of the shades and velcro them in a pair of deep ski goggles and SUPER COMFORTABLE, much better picture than my Preds ever had, adjustable focus for each eye. I MUCH PREFER my Vuzix over the Preds...and they cost less too.

The newer Fatshark style (sorry, forget the name) has adjustable IPD's for narrower/wider eye spacing...which is nice to have. They still use the rubber eye cups though. I'll stick with my Vuzix, thank you. Do a search for Vuzix on RCG...there's a thread with some info/pictures. I've tried many, many goggles...with Vuzix being my top preference. Heck, I even preferred (and kept) my MyVu video glasses over the Fatshark Predators.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Fatshark, yuck, phewy!!! I had a set of the Fatshark Predators....couldn't sell them off fast enough. True they come with built in 5.8VRx and a 'could barely get any range with' 100mW VTx...which I found really unusable as a flight system. The viewers had a bluish tint and weren't all that clear. The rubber eye cups get uncomfortable rather quickly.

I also have a set of Vuzix 920 Wraps. Never tried them with the sun glass shades. I'd agree with Chris....yuck, phewy....BUT pop them out of the shades and velcro them in a pair of deep ski goggles and SUPER COMFORTABLE, much better picture than my Preds ever had, adjustable focus for each eye. I MUCH PREFER my Vuzix over the Preds...and they cost less too.

The newer Fatshark style (sorry, forget the name) has adjustable IPD's for narrower/wider eye spacing...which is nice to have. They still use the rubber eye cups though. I'll stick with my Vuzix, thank you. Do a search for Vuzix on RCG...there's a thread with some info/pictures. I've tried many, many goggles...with Vuzix being my top preference. Heck, I even preferred (and kept) my MyVu video glasses over the Fatshark Predators.
Thanks Van for the review . I'll be careful when choosing the glasses
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:05 AM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanp View Post
Hello all

Thanks,

Juan
I got on ebay an old stock of cinemizer plus for 200 USD (not the last oled) , put them in a ski mask/glasses and I'm very happy with them. With my fatshark (1st gen) I can't get a clear image...
Here is described what I also did :
http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2012/05/08...ki-mask-build/

Cedric
GLADUS63 is online now Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: old MyFlyDream AAT upgrade
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Oct 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
I got on ebay an old stock of cinemizer plus for 200 USD (not the last oled) , put them in a ski mask/glasses and I'm very happy with them. With my fatshark (1st gen) I can't get a clear image...
Here is described what I also did :
http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2012/05/08...ki-mask-build/

Cedric
Thanks for the suggestion man

Juan
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:17 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
You are right but you have to try Fatshark Dominator, they are a total different story, other FOV, eyes are more relaxed that with Predator. With some DIY work you can fit a 5.8ghz Sky RF -90 db video receiver module inside and you instantly have the most compact ground station.
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze