Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
Finally figured it out.

...clears throat... Apparently the DOSD needs to be powered up first, then connected to PC Commander. I (incorrectly) presumed that the USB would be providing power to the DOSD card. Ugh, I'm an ashamed DOSD newbie! Just came on to update my post and found Van's excellent response, which was exactly right.
Been there done that haha...My issue was a broken wire on the USB.

But taken form page 27 of the manual.

If you don't see that, some basic things to check are:
0. Is the USB converter correctly installed and recognized as a COM port?
1. Is the correct COM port being selected?
2. Make sure no other terminal program (HyperTerm or TeraTerm is running when updating)
3. Are the RX and TX lines reversed or crossed?
4. Is the serial port being connected to the correct header pins?
5. Is the OSD powered up?

Like yourself i assumed it took power from the USB
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Been there done that haha...My issue was a broken wire on the USB.

But taken form page 27 of the manual.

If you don't see that, some basic things to check are:
0. Is the USB converter correctly installed and recognized as a COM port?
1. Is the correct COM port being selected?
2. Make sure no other terminal program (HyperTerm or TeraTerm is running when updating)
3. Are the RX and TX lines reversed or crossed?
4. Is the serial port being connected to the correct header pins?
5. Is the OSD powered up?

Like yourself i assumed it took power from the USB

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I did read the manual beforehand, but must have missed that part. Once I figured out the fix, I was skimming the manual again and saw that last step about making sure it is powered up. It's fun to learn and at least it's all set up now.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
Ohh no worries, i hear yea, i was just saying the other day when i was wondering why my throttle would only work when in Menu mode...It was set to mode 0. I have read the manual 2 times and skimmed it at least 3-4 lol

I now have the 120ish pages printed off and in a small binder for easy access. May be a big help when at the field.

one great thing about this thread is, there are guys here that well help you at the drop of a question. even though it may have been asked/anwesred 100x
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:06 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,616 Posts
Quote:
Ohh no worries, i hear yea, i was just saying the other day when i was wondering why my throttle would only work when in Menu mode...It was set to mode 0. I have read the manual 2 times and skimmed it at least 3-4 lol

I now have the 120ish pages printed off and in a small binder for easy access. May be a big help when at the field.

one great thing about this thread is, there are guys here that well help you at the drop of a question. even though it may have been asked/anwesred 100x
Dude...your avatar is really freaking me out...eh!!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:53 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
i was thinking of you Van when i changed it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,616 Posts
Quote:
i was thinking of you Van when i changed it...
Touche!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Hi... first post. Been reading/lurking a LONG time! Noob question... I've read for weeks (...months...) and am just going to ask... How to wire controls??

I am rigging my X8 Wing with Dragon Link (Futaba 9cap), DOSDv2 and FY30A (via Xlator). I need a diagram or written explanation of where wires go (I've seen dozens of diagrams re: ground loops, etc... but nothing goes through details of DL --> DOSD --> FY30a --> Servo rigging). Everything I have is new and hasn't been changed from factory settings.

Specifically: I've run PPM (signal & 5v only... no ground) from DL into DOSD in PPM spot. What goes into the DOSD PWM spots (FY orange/green/yellow...?). If so... How about the FY brown wire?... where?

I've run RSSI (signal only) into RSSI spot on DOSD. Also have connected the current sensor for motor battery as well as an FPV harness from ReadyMadeRC... all my video stuff work great.

Does the throttle signal from ESC (no pwr or grnd included) go to DOSD OR FY30?

Do the elevon servos plug into FY.... if so into what slots (AIL & ELE?.... which to which?)

Does the red/white/black wire from bottom right of FY go into DOSD? Where?.... Xlator?

I'm sorry for the very basic questions.... I'll keep searching/reading, but it would help me and maybe some other new guys out there to get an explanation in one place. Thanks for any help I appreciate it greatly!!
MNGT3 is offline Find More Posts by MNGT3
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGT3 View Post
Hi... first post. Been reading/lurking a LONG time! Noob question... I've read for weeks (...months...) and am just going to ask... How to wire controls??

I am rigging my X8 Wing with Dragon Link (Futaba 9cap), DOSDv2 and FY30A (via Xlator). I need a diagram or written explanation of where wires go (I've seen dozens of diagrams re: ground loops, etc... but nothing goes through details of DL --> DOSD --> FY30a --> Servo rigging). Everything I have is new and hasn't been changed from factory settings.
Here's how my FY30, XLator, DOSD is connected: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=19290

Quote:
Specifically: I've run PPM (signal & 5v only... no ground) from DL into DOSD in PPM spot.
I'd run all three PPM wires, Signal, 5V, Gnd.

Quote:
What goes into the DOSD PWM spots (FY orange/green/yellow...?). If so... How about the FY brown wire?... where?
All according to what your end desire is. If using the FY30 w/o XLator you won't have AHI nor will you have gain adjustment of the FY in the air. If that's what you want then run your Rx PPM out to DOSD PPM in, then the PWM Ail, Elev, Rud out to the corresding FY30 inputs, then your Ail, Ele, Rud servos connect to the corresponding FY30 outputs. In this configuration the DOSD is provide AP control function and the FY provides stabilization.

Quote:
FY throttle is just a pass through...it does nothing with it. You only need to connect your throttle to the DOSD PWM throttle output IF you want AP cruise control.

Quote:
Do the elevon servos plug into FY.... if so into what slots (AIL & ELE?.... which to which?)
Better check your FY manual for that. For elevons you want to leave your Tx set for normal Ail and Ele control. You will then assign the PWM outputs for Elevon1 and Elevon 2...for 'normal' setup. Check your FY manual...does it want normal inputs and it does the elevon mix or does the elevon mix need to come in pre-mixed?

Quote:
Does the red/white/black wire from bottom right of FY go into DOSD? Where?.... Xlator?
See link above.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,464 Posts
Quote:

Specifically: I've run PPM (signal & 5v only... no ground) from DL into DOSD in PPM spot. What goes into the DOSD PWM spots (FY orange/green/yellow...?). If so... How about the FY brown wire?... where?

I've run RSSI (signal only) into RSSI spot on DOSD. Also have connected the current sensor for motor battery as well as an FPV harness from ReadyMadeRC... all my video stuff work great.

I'm sorry for the very basic questions.... I'll keep searching/reading, but it would help me and maybe some other new guys out there to get an explanation in one place. Thanks for any help I appreciate it greatly!!
to add to what Van said, you don't need to run the servos from the FY unless you want the "3d" mode. DOSD will use the FY's info to stabilise. it's a pretty big old loom that comes with the FY and I decided not to bother.
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for your help Van & Mike. I will use PPM grnd. I want to get AHI... so I'm using translator. The red/black/white is "aileron in" according to FY instructions... so I have that in DOSD PWM1 slot... I put the green/orange/yellow in respective PWM slots on DOSD per FY instructions. I put the FY brown (throttle) wire into DL Rx directly (not DOSD). Currently have elevon servos hooked to FY aileron & elevator outs (correct per FY instructions). ESC throttle wire come from FY throttle out.

I get stabilization, and I can toggle between the 3 stabilization modes. But I have no control of elevons or throttle. I'll re-read all my manuals again and work more tomorrow.

One clarification-- I want AHI and all 3 stabilization modes. Am I heading the right direction with this wiring scheme?
MNGT3 is offline Find More Posts by MNGT3
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:30 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,464 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help Van & Mike. I will use PPM grnd. I want to get AHI... so I'm using translator. The red/black/white is "aileron in" according to FY instructions... so I have that in DOSD PWM1 slot... I put the green/orange/yellow in respective PWM slots on DOSD per FY instructions. I put the FY brown (throttle) wire into DL Rx directly (not DOSD). Currently have elevon servos hooked to FY aileron & elevator outs (correct per FY instructions). ESC throttle wire come from FY throttle out.

I get stabilization, and I can toggle between the 3 stabilization modes. But I have no control of elevons or throttle. I'll re-read all my manuals again and work more tomorrow.

One clarification-- I want AHI and all 3 stabilization modes. Am I heading the right direction with this wiring scheme?
I presume you have set up DOSD PWM outputs as elevator and aileron in the menu such that the outputs correspond to the FY's expected inputs? turn off all the stabilisation to test it. Do the servos respond correctly if you plug them into the DOSD (not as elevons of course, as ele and ail) ? Is there servo power and ground from ESC or separate BEC supplying the servos?
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
765 Posts
Guys,my DOSD reset in the air and crashed my plane. One of the video pins on the board has been bent and so I straightened it back out by hand. Is this pin cause for concern?? If yes, do I need to replace the whole board??
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:58 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Guys,my DOSD reset in the air and crashed my plane. One of the video pins on the board has been bent and so I straightened it back out by hand. Is this pin cause for concern?? If yes, do I need to replace the whole board??
I'm sorry to hear about your crash. You have clearly spent a great deal of effort doing your research on this thread. I have had one DOSD reset long ago, and I don't know why. It caused no damage, but always left me a bit concerned that it could happen again someday. As you know, the problem is that the a dead DOSD renders all servos attached to it useless. I can survive without the ailerons by using the rudder attached directly to the Rx, but the loss of elevator could be fatal.
For added redundancy I am considering cutting the elevator in half and running each half off a separate servo. One servo through the DOSD and the other directly to the Rx. I would use a radio mix to match them up, but the DOSD would only have use of half the elevator for its autopilot. This would require higher gains, but I'm sure it would work fine. This would also provide redundancy for an elevator servo failure.
Always trying to improve.

To answer you question, the video pin should be fine, just make sure it's soldered to the board well.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:05 PM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
423 Posts
Few pages back... I had the same reset issue still don't know why
futurebreeze is offline Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Last edited by futurebreeze; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,616 Posts
If you're having reset issues be sure you have a good, strong, reliable voltage input to the DOSD. A drop below 4.6-4.8v can cause a DOSD reset. I've only seen a reset with an old, experimental, fw version which was fixed and never surfaced again some year(s) ago.