HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Getting ready to order a new DOSD and think im going to go with the DragonCommander... I have BT in all devices and a Nexus7 for "field use" I was wondering though... can it stay connected in flight? and has anyone connected a long range system like xbee for live data from DOSD?

DOSD->XBee Pro 900~~~>XbeePro 900->DragonCommander-> device

I know remzibi has made applications that read the on screen data to present google earth overlays of live data so I was just wondering about the possibility of that. (primarily until this larger log data problem is fixed...)

The Dragonlabs.eu site also needs to get some baro's in stock... gotta order from two different places for stuff when Tim is out of DOSD's at RMRC :/

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:36 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Getting ready to order a new DOSD and think im going to go with the DragonCommander... I have BT in all devices and a Nexus7 for "field use" I was wondering though... can it stay connected in flight? and has anyone connected a long range system like xbee for live data from DOSD?

I know remzibi has made applications that read the on screen data to present google earth overlays of live data so I was just wondering about the possibility of that. (primarily until this larger log data problem is fixed...)

The Dragonlabs.eu site also needs to get some baro's in stock... gotta order from two different places for stuff when Tim is out of DOSD's at RMRC :/

Chris
The dragon commander doesn't have much range, it's for use in the pits really.

somewhere at the beginning of this thread Mark (?) wired an xbee?zigbee? between PC commander and DOSD but I don't know if he ever flew it. in theory you could update waypoints on the fly etc...

DLEU has a baro just for you. It's not the seaturtle labs one that's pin-matched for i2c connections on the DOSD but it works just the same! I still haven't got round to taking a picture but I just put it in stock.

Sea Turtle labs baros are on the way and I'm going to supply them with female pin headers so they just push on to the DOSD
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
The dragon commander doesn't have much range, it's for use in the pits really.

somewhere at the beginning of this thread Mark (?) wired an xbee?zigbee? between PC commander and DOSD but I don't know if he ever flew it. in theory you could update waypoints on the fly etc...

DLEU has a baro just for you. It's not the seaturtle labs one that's pin-matched for i2c connections on the DOSD but it works just the same! I still haven't got round to taking a picture but I just put it in stock.

Sea Turtle labs baros are on the way and I'm going to supply them with female pin headers so they just push on to the DOSD
Nice! placing an order tomorrow morning!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:55 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,458 Posts
anybody have a spare dragonosd they'd like to sell? Let me know.
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Ok... after some digging...

Im going to order the BMP085 chips... then use magnet wire to connect it to the boards, and add a cap to the sensor... no need for the entire sensor board on there, and since the pullup resistors are not needed... the only component on the boards is the BMP085 itself and a cap...

My current board has all connectors removed that I do not use, and a direct soldered seaturtle board.

With the modifications I should be able to fit the whole board inside carlos' case... then Ill wrap the case in foil tape for shielding, connect the wire shields to that, and ground it all to the main system ground. Should work well

Are there any other sensors that Ill be able to fit in carlos' case with this? Id love a air speed sensor but no one directly sells them :/ its sort of important when your plane only flies at 15-35 mph... 15mph headwinds and the gps says 0 mph :/

maybe we can get chrisover in the DL thread to build up a "sensor board" that has mag... Baro... and Airspeed... that would be awesome!!!

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
DLEU will have air speed sensors soon
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
DLEU will have air speed sensors soon
:/ damn USA... our stores need to keep up
maybe we will get the release of Dragon Tracks first in the year 20XX??

what sparkfun9dof does the xlator support?

9 Degrees of Freedom - MPU-9150 Breakout
9 Degrees of Freedom - Razor IMU
9 Degrees of Freedom - Sensor Stick

the MPU9150 has i2c? is there something wrong with it working directly? I have no clue with programming but the hardware I can work with all day

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
yes. your radio supplies ail/ele info as normal, DOSD does the mixing.
SWEET! This opens up more options for me in terms of planes I can use with the DOSD. Cheers
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
SWEET! This opens up more options for me in terms of planes I can use with the DOSD. Cheers
yup
if you get fancy with it you can use DOSD to mix flaperons too

I use mostly flying wings and have also implemented a kk2.0 board with DOSD for stabilization...

For simplicity Im going to change to FY+DOSD so the DOSD does all of the stabilization from the FY data.

The more you use DOSD the more you will be amazed

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
yup
if you get fancy with it you can use DOSD to mix flaperons too

I use mostly flying wings and have also implemented a kk2.0 board with DOSD for stabilization...

For simplicity Im going to change to FY+DOSD so the DOSD does all of the stabilization from the FY data.

The more you use DOSD the more you will be amazed

Chris
I'm still getting my feet wet with it but even at the early stages, I can see some cool stuff. Like the GPS Stab Gain... so cool!
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,051 Posts
no stock anywhere cheapest option for me is foxtechfpv as flat rate ems $15 dollar but they are out of stock for a while now, others want me to pay $30 for shipping
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
no stock anywhere cheapest option for me is foxtechfpv as flat rate ems $15 dollar but they are out of stock for a while now, others want me to pay $30 for shipping
Dragonlabs.eu is $30 for shipping to your location?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
only one of carlos' cases available

ordered everything but the case for my current DOSD from dragonlabs.eu ... so I guess ill have to make a carbonfiber case for my current one...

Carlos... get that printer running faster

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:20 AM
FPV flyer
Kaunas, Lithuania
Joined Oct 2007
1,518 Posts
Quote:

Chris
Chris, just little wait and Dragon Tracks will do that for you and as far as you have video on the screen/goggles!
DT isn't that far away, about to go for mass this month.

Virgis
Virgis21 is offline Find More Posts by Virgis21
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgis21 View Post
Chris, just little wait and Dragon Tracks will do that for you and as far as you have video on the screen/goggles!
DT isn't that far away, about to go for mass this month.

Virgis
do we have any estimated price? gotta know how much to "adjust" for the wife
already have to adjust for the Super Sky surfer... 2nd DOSD, DC, Zephyer 2, and 3 prototype planes this month...

She might not notice DT in the mix...

Chris
RCG Plus Member