Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
I'm trying to avoid a ground loops and thought I should run this by you guys before I power up my unit. So I just got my CAT 6 cable and am using 1 cable to go from my cam to VTx and another from my VTx to the DOSD board. I have been told that I need to connect the CAT 6 outer copper shield to the ground lead on only 1 end. Therefore, I have connected the copper shielding on the VTx end to the ground wire. The ground wire that is coming out of my cam is not connected to the CAT 6 shield.
Here's the issue...at the junction where my CAT 6 cable meets the battery which powers up my VTx/cam/ and DOSD, I have a ground cable and the other end of my shielded cable which was grounded on the VTx side. So here's my question: Should I connect the CAT 6 copper shield to the ground at this junction as well??... or should I just shrink tube the shield on this side and connect only the ground wire to the battery?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:40 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick338 View Post
Hello, I just purchased a new DOSDv2 with GPS and current sensor. I was wondering when it's put in RTH function will the DOSD maintain the aircrafts altitude(height). If so, is it done with throttle and elevator or is the throttle controlled by the pilot?

Enrico(Rick)
Im in the same boat as you rick, hoping to have mine soon too. As Van was saying have read the manual. I'm on the second reading now... And i think its starting to gell But once i get it im sure ill have questions lol

Theres lots of info there and it is well written. The OSD autopilot meat and potato's start at page 59.

What are you using for a RX?
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:30 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
What baro module/probe do you recommend ?
I've used this one with no problems: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1646 . You don have to remove the two little (black) resistors on the board though. You can also search e-bay for BMP085. I'm sure you'll find some cheaper ones from China...though if they don't work I can't tell you how to make them work.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
I'm trying to avoid a ground loops and thought I should run this by you guys before I power up my unit. So I just got my CAT 6 cable and am using 1 cable to go from my cam to VTx and another from my VTx to the DOSD board. I have been told that I need to connect the CAT 6 outer copper shield to the ground lead on only 1 end. Therefore, I have connected the copper shielding on the VTx end to the ground wire. The ground wire that is coming out of my cam is not connected to the CAT 6 shield.
Here's the issue...at the junction where my CAT 6 cable meets the battery which powers up my VTx/cam/ and DOSD, I have a ground cable and the other end of my shielded cable which was grounded on the VTx side. So here's my question: Should I connect the CAT 6 copper shield to the ground at this junction as well??... or should I just shrink tube the shield on this side and connect only the ground wire to the battery?
1. you only need to connect the screen to ground in one place
2. It probably doesn't matter
3. you have a ground loop by connecting the earth of the RSSI; dragon link is already grounded on the PPM feed
4. see 2.
5. have you screened the video line from camera to DOSD? it's probably the only cable that really needs a screen
6. see 2 and 4
7. you have a ground loop from the BEC to DOSD and current sensor to DOSD. This is the one that Ren identified as potentially dangerous as it can carry current from the motor back to the battery via the tracks in the board. I usually disconnect the ground on my current sensor but guess what...It probably doesn't matter
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
1. you only need to connect the screen to ground in one place
When you say I need to connect the "screen" in one place... are you referring to the shield?

Quote:
3. you have a ground loop by connecting the earth of the RSSI; dragon link is already grounded on the PPM feed
Are you sure I have a ground loop for RSSI? The manual said to connect the inner most and outer most wire only and not connect anything to the middle pin. If you are 100% sure that I've done it wrong, can you please tell me how I can go about fixing this?

Quote:
5. have you screened the video line from camera to DOSD? it's probably the only cable that really needs a screen
Can you please explain what you mean by "screened the video line"?

Quote:
7. you have a ground loop from the BEC to DOSD and current sensor to DOSD. This is the one that Ren identified as potentially dangerous as it can carry current from the motor back to the battery via the tracks in the board. I usually disconnect the ground on my current sensor but guess what...It probably doesn't matter
a) This one is a major concern.. how do I eliminate the ground loop? Do I simply disconnect the black wire from the current sensor???

b) How do I eliminate the ground loop you mentioned which is being created from my UBEC?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,820 Posts
Anyone have any idea on the GPS logs? I really want to get my 45 min flight log downloaded.

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
When you say I need to connect the "screen" in one place... are you referring to the shield?

yes screen=shield

Are you sure I have a ground loop for RSSI? The manual said to connect the inner most and outer most wire only and not connect anything to the middle pin. If you are 100% sure that I've done it wrong, can you please tell me how I can go about fixing this?

you have 2 ground wires, one on the PPM and one on the RSSI.you don't need both. but it doesn't really matter.

Can you please explain what you mean by "screened the video line"?

I mean use screened/shielded wires for the video signal between camera and DOSD if you haven't already

a) This one is a major concern.. how do I eliminate the ground loop? Do I simply disconnect the black wire from the current sensor???

yes, or just use a single hook-up wire

b) How do I eliminate the ground loop you mentioned which is being created from my UBEC?

simply remove the ground wire from the plug on the current sensor
(but it probably doesn't matter!!!)
Last edited by MikeTheCrash; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:08 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I've used this one with no problems: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1646 . You don have to remove the two little (black) resistors on the board though. You can also search e-bay for BMP085. I'm sure you'll find some cheaper ones from China...though if they don't work I can't tell you how to make them work.
HK sells the same board for under $10 and also have something that would probably plug right to the dosd.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_BMP085.html
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:38 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
HK sells the same board for under $10 and also have something that would probably plug right to the dosd.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_BMP085.html
with a Y-cable too, handy! WOrth checking the pin connections before you plug it in but it looks right.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,358 Posts
Baro

Thanks Van and Koo, this is the best thread to have a fast good answer to your questions
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick338 View Post
Hello, I just purchased a new DOSDv2 with GPS and current sensor. I was wondering when it's put in RTH function will the DOSD maintain the aircrafts altitude(height). If so, is it done with throttle and elevator or is the throttle controlled by the pilot?

Enrico(Rick)
DOSD uses elevator only for altitude control and throttle only for speed control. It will require tweaking one at a time .
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:10 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
Just got a new dragonosd2 v2 and need some help guys. For some reason i can't access the display menu.

I set the CTRL channel to 5. PPM is plugged into channel 9 on my dragonlink receiver. I am using a JR 9305 transmitter. I assigned my AUX2 switch to the gear channel. When i power everything up I cannot access the menu or autopilot. I tried adjusting the "TRAVEL" of the gear channel but it did nothing.

I made the radio type JR. Im pulling my hair out over this.

ALSO, i have a FY30 onboard. I assigned the PWM switches accordingly. The servos plug into the FY30 and that outputs into the DragonOSD... i have no servo control. I set the FY30 directly into the receiver in channel 6 which i made my Flap switch. The servos don't move... my FY30 goes into the correct modes however when adjusting the Flap Switch.

Help guys!! what am i doing wrong.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,458 Posts
New nashville FPV video.
FPV quadcopter & flying wing flight together! flown with dragonlink (3 min 40 sec)
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Just got a new dragonosd2 v2 and need some help guys. For some reason i can't access the display menu.

I set the CTRL channel to 5. PPM is plugged into channel 9 on my dragonlink receiver. I am using a JR 9305 transmitter. I assigned my AUX2 switch to the gear channel. When i power everything up I cannot access the menu or autopilot. I tried adjusting the "TRAVEL" of the gear channel but it did nothing.

I made the radio type JR. Im pulling my hair out over this.

ALSO, i have a FY30 onboard. I assigned the PWM switches accordingly. The servos plug into the FY30 and that outputs into the DragonOSD... i have no servo control. I set the FY30 directly into the receiver in channel 6 which i made my Flap switch. The servos don't move... my FY30 goes into the correct modes however when adjusting the Flap Switch.

Help guys!! what am i doing wrong.
How old is your DragonLink Rx? The older ones used channel 9 for PPM, the newer ones use channel 12 for PPM. I'm going to guess you just need to move your PPM to channel 12. You will need to adjust the endpoints on your Ch5 switch to activate the desired mode (normal, menu, AP, Off). Most use a 3-way switch for normal, menu, and AP. I mixed in a second switch to turn the display on or off...normally always on though. I mean, that's the idea of having an OSD...right?
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
^^

Holy crap. This is a brand new dlink receiver.

So channel 12 is now ppm? Crazy since it shows on the receiver channel 9 is PPM. So what channel is RSSi? Are my other channels reversed now as well?

Seems like there is no communication between my dlink receiver and dosd.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint