HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
I write because of a problem that occurred earlier today with my DOSD. I was finishing up my zephyr II build and nestling all the components into their proper places. Before this i had tested he system and confirmed that everything was working 100%. As i was fitting the components, the video gave out. I suspected this to be a loose cable so i fiddled around and got some static in places but no real video. Just to be safe i tested the pwm outputs from the DOSD, nothing. I had lost all control of the plane and i had no video. I went on to test the camera, Vtx, VRx, Dragon link (and its connections), power connections, motor and servos. It seems to me that the week link here is the DOSD, and i was wondering what i could do to fix it. Please be aware that time is of the utmost importance in this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any more technical information. Thank you in advance and i hope to be flying soon. Also, DRAGONLABS ROCKS!!!!
(Snipped from email i sent to dragon labs)

Attached are some pics, thoughts?

Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
looks like all you have to do is add another ESC and motor just the same as the one you have already, same power supply same control channel
Thanks Mike.... just to make sure... do I still keep the 1 UBEC? Or do I need another UBEC as well? (based on the current setup, assuming I want to add another motor)

Also, with the addition of the second ESC, where would I plug in the white (signal) wire since the first ESC will be taking up that spot already on the Rx?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Thanks Mike.... just to make sure... do I still keep the 1 UBEC? Or do I need another UBEC as well? (based on the current setup, assuming I want to add another motor)

Also, with the addition of the second ESC, where would I plug in the white (signal) wire since the first ESC will be taking up that spot already on the Rx?
You can use a y servo cable if you want both motors to be spinning the same. Plug both white leads into the = end and run another servo cable from the - end to your port on the DOSD you use for throttle. In terms of the UBEC, no you do not need another one because you are already using one to supply power to the DOSD 5v rail (via rx).
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
If i wired up this IMU sensor board to the DOSD, would it know what to do with the information?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10DOF-axis-I...item2323817ee1

Or how about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArduIMU-9DOF...item3f19c7be32

but it doesn't have barometer...
No and No. Currently the ONLY IMU that direct connects to the DOSD is the ArduIMU V2...which is no longer produced. You might luck out and find someone selling one though. It does need special firmware loaded into it, but that's not a huge issue.

The other IMUs that can be used WITH the Xlator board is the Razor, Mongoose, and FY30. Of these three the FY-30 seems to be the best working so I'd recommend going that route. Anything else you get, well, will likely just become a paper weight.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
You can use a y servo cable if you want both motors to be spinning the same. Plug both white leads into the = end and run another servo cable from the - end to your port on the DOSD you use for throttle. In terms of the UBEC, no you do not need another one because you are already using one to supply power to the DOSD 5v rail (via rx).
Thanks Techmeister. Just to make sure I've understood correctly. I take the two white (signal) cables from each ESC and plug it into a y-cable... then, the single end of the y-cable gets plugged to my DOSD board (throttle).
first of all, have I understood you correctly?
secondly, if what I have understood is correct.... will I have the option to have the motors spinning in opposite directions?

Much thanks sir
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:32 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Techmeister. Just to make sure I've understood correctly. I take the two white (signal) cables from each ESC and plug it into a y-cable... then, the single end of the y-cable gets plugged to my DOSD board (throttle).
secondly, if what I have understood is correct.... will I have the option to have the motors spinning in opposite directions?

Much thanks sir
You can program the ESCs to spin opposite directions. In reality it won't make a difference in how it flies. In full scale speak, counter-rotating props gets rid of the "critical engine" which means that the single engine performance will be the same no matter which engine fails. Most full scale twins don't do this, just a few light trainers. I've flown both and it doesn't make that big of a difference. In the RC world, it matters even less because RC planes are so over-powered. Also electric motors hardly ever fail in flight.
Sorry to give you far more info than you wanted, I just love to talk about airplanes and my wife doesn't want hear it anymore.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:

Much thanks sir
iskess was completely correct. As for the connection side of things, yes that is what i meant. Im not sure about the next part so others feel free to chime in. Doesn't rotating a motor in its opposite direction lose efficiency
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,731 Posts
Only if you put the wrong prop on it :P. it actually doesn't make any differance in which direction you spin a motor. So long as you have a counter clockwise prop you'll be fine .

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Also electric motors hardly ever fail in flight.
But when it does its fun... DOSD also does a good job assisting back to home without a motor... (Make sure it is not trying to hold an altitude...)

2.2 miles out and a motor failure! - Flown with DragonLINK! (4 min 1 sec)
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Only if you put the wrong prop on it :P. it actually doesn't make any differance in which direction you spin a motor. So long as you have a counter clockwise prop you'll be fine .

CJ
Depends on how dedicated you are I had a buddy in college mill a custom motor housing with cooling fins... It only cools when spinning CCW... with this it is about the size of a 200w turnigy 22xx motor and has run safely at 650 watts...

But for off the shelf stuff... rotation doesnt matter as Carlos said.
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:54 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post

CJ
Great video. Good job with the dead stick. It's easier with 1 motor that's failed, we practice gliding everytime we fly. It is much more difficult to properly identify and fly a twin with a motor failed. Most of us wouldn't understand what is happening and add extra throttle to compensate for the loss of thrust. Without adding rudder, this would just flip the plane on its back. Many have said about light twin engine aircraft, "the second engine just brings you to the sight of the crash quicker". There is some truth to that, unless a pilot is consistently trained on how to fly on one engine.
I'm too off topic, so let me bring it home. I have considered using 2 of the PWM channels on the DOSD for throttle, and programming a radio mix to allow independent motor speed on a variable knob. This would allow me to practice single engine operations, and see what the performance would be on one engine. It would also allow me to sync the prop speeds and get rid of the harmonic that is causing vibration jello on my HD camera. With both ESCs attached to different PWMs, DOSD should treat them the same during throttle management, so there should be no difference, right?
Anyone see a problem with this?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Iskess I know you've been having problems with the DOSD and throttle management. Why don't you just connect them to your Rx? Thats what I do. I don't really trust the DOSD with my throttle.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:54 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Iskess I know you've been having problems with the DOSD and throttle management. Why don't you just connect them to your Rx? Thats what I do. I don't really trust the DOSD with my throttle.
My throttle management works great, always has since I added a pitot tube. My problem was the elevator control, which is working now that I cycled it from NOR to REV and back to NOR again. It happened again the other day. I lost AP elevator control and had to cycle the setting again to get it to work. Those damn gremlins are annoying!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Ah thats right, for some reason I was thinking it was the throttle control. So do you just cycle that setting before every flight now? I probably would lol I would hate to drop video and have the elevator reversed haha
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Ah thats right, for some reason I was thinking it was the throttle control. So do you just cycle that setting before every flight now? I probably would lol I would hate to drop video and have the elevator reversed haha
I probably should. My preflight checklist is getting so damn long, it a hassle. I just try to do an AP test once airborne before I push my distance. It is happens more frequently I'll have to incorporate it into my preflight.
I flew 4.5mi/7km yesterday which is my new personal record. I also got 60ft over the beach 3 miles away behind trees. I am using two cans of corn soldered together and an Inverted Vee on the tail. 1280/500mA. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349901320.448340.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 151.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349901348.808909.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 86.4 KB
Description:
I'm loving my FPV adventures.