HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, HI, Kaneohe
Joined Aug 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
I see your using the CC BEC. I personaly have had bad luck with those. Try a different BEC.
Bad luck meaning what? I just tested and it putting out the 4.97V it always was...and the DLRX and servos have no glitches or problem, which I would think are most directly impacted by the CC
hawaiirc is offline Find More Posts by hawaiirc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
4.97? I prefer to stay above 5.5 just for safe measure and since my digital servos draw quite a bit.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Yeah, I would probably forget to keep the motor running :-((
Didn't do me any good. I just happened to shut down the motor20 seconds before I lost video (I was at 1200 feet and needed to scrub a ton of altitude on the return).

So, I lost video at 1200 ft, 3000 feet out with no motor. Argghh !!

I flipped the RTH and waited.

25 minutes later, I landed LOS.

The darn thing had been cicling for 20 minutes straight above "home" at 4,127 feet !!!

Seems I had run smack dab into the middle of a thermal while in RTH!

I downloaded the flt log and the circling looks like you are looking right down at the top of a cimmamon roll in Google Earth

I had gained 3000 feet with the motor OFF and not flying the plane! Why couldn't I do this when I used to fly competitive sailplanes

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Sep 24, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added google earth screengrab
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,318 Posts
Wow ! Talk about luck !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:58 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
Didn't do me any good. I just happened to shut down the motor20 seconds before I lost video (I was at 1200 feet and needed to scrub a ton of altitude on the return).

The darn thing had been cicling for 20 minutes straight above "home" at 4,127 feet !!!

I downloaded the flt log and the circling looks like you are looking right down at the top of a cimmamon roll in Google Earth

I had gained 3000 feet with the motor OFF and not flying the plane! Why couldn't I do this when I used to fly competitive sailplanes

Yabba
Now that's funny...25 minutes of DOSD thermalling. Maybe you've found yet another useful feature in the DOSD!!!
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:06 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Now that's funny...25 minutes of DOSD thermalling. Maybe you've found yet another useful feature in the DOSD!!!
Maybe there could be a programming for sailplane using the vertical speed from the GPS to pilot the plane in the thermal and stay there ?
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Maybe there could be a programming for sailplane using the vertical speed from the GPS to pilot the plane in the thermal and stay there ?
Well, the DOSD does have the audio on the variometer. It'll drive you nuts though, I turned it off

Yabba
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, HI, Kaneohe
Joined Aug 2011
85 Posts
DLRX can take as low as 3.2V
I have analog servos
FY30 wants 5V-6V

Not sure how any of this would be affecting my DOSD which is operating directly from a 3S. Why is DOSD reading .8V when CC is putting out 5V? Why the corrupted GPS data and not recognizing attached devices?
hawaiirc is offline Find More Posts by hawaiirc
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
yeah, Bob I saw the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post

Yabba
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
WOW - Just amazing! Yabba, Congratulations!

It shows how awesome RTH is configured properly :-)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
WOW - Just amazing! Yabba, Congratulations!

It shows how awesome RTH is configured properly :-)
Well, I *thought* it was configured properly

I apparently never considered the fact that I might blunder into the middle of a big boy thermal . I had never used the RTH in anger before but had done quite a few tests with it and it has always performed excellent with just some minor tweaking from the default settings.

I guess I need to turn up my ROC (or descent) to take into account the times when I might stumble into a hat-sucker.

Yabba
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:42 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
I think it did very well .. hey you got the plane back - that's all what counts.. but 4000ft is pretty awesome!!! Do you have a video of that?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:13 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiirc View Post
Bad luck meaning what? I just tested and it putting out the 4.97V it always was...and the DLRX and servos have no glitches or problem, which I would think are most directly impacted by the CC
I have had 5 of them fail in the strangest ways. I had one in a 20cc mojo profile with Hitec 7985 servos all around with a Hitec hs82 on the throtle. The right aileron acted as if the servo was going bad. It would glitch and it would'nt hold and some times it would stop working. I replaced the servo and still had the same problem. The servo worked fine on a nicad so i used that same nicad on the plane without the CC Bec and the problem went away. The regulator always should the right voltage, even under load.

Another example I had a Toledo Speacial with a 15cc gas engine on it and every thing worked fine until you pluged in the ailerons and cycled them. the whole plane would go into convultions but the voltage again held and did'nt change, put in a new regulator and it went away.

These were the 2 gas planes that I had them in but I had also used them in electics also.

I would give the other examples also but you should get the jist. They all failed in a strange way. They did'nt just stop putting out voltage. This is only from what I have seen. I am not trying to bad mouth any product or company.
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping to find a solution.

I have been flying my DOSD Twinstar 2 for quite some time now and loving it. I am using Dragon Link and a futaba 9c to fly it.

The problem is is that when I activate my RTH she comes home and circles overhead but with no motor power. She just glides back home.

I have set my cruising speed and my cruising altitude so I am not sure what the problem can be.

However, after powering the plane when I go to throttle up I have to give about 1/2 throttle before the motors even begin to spin. I am thinking this might be the problem? Any ideas on how to fix this?
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
My ESC had to be re calibrated to work correctly. The ESC wanted to go from 0 to full throttle at mid stick and had no linear adjustments. After re calibrating the ESC it worked as desired.
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member